Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Nikkor 200-400 f4 AIS. I got it from a friend at a "can't refuse" price. Quite a find indeed. ... There is a fair amount of dust on the 15 elements, but no visible haze or sign of separation. My experience tells me there could be some faint loss of contrast, but probably not visible in practice and easily fixed . Should I risk to have it cleaned?

Probably not - unless you have have lots of spare money, and unless it can be done by Nikon Japan. These professional tele / telezoom lenses are rather complex, and they deserve a lot of attention and multiple very precise adjustments.

As you may know, I have been in close contact with Sony (and some of their lens developers) around 2008-2012. Back then I had some quite useful discussions with them. Even a "simple" Sony AL 2.8/70-200mm G SSM was quite tricky to repair, and often there were complaints after a certain SAL 70-200G had been serviced (by the officially recognized partner of Sony Switzerland - the same company that did also the official Canon repair work here in Switzerland). Which means not even the "professionals" here in Switzerland with all the necessary software & tools were able to reliably clean and fix the said lens.

Lenses such as the Minolta AF 2.8/300mm and later the Minolta/Sony 2.8/300mm G SSM always went back to Japan. They were dismantled, cleaned and re-assembled by that very person who also built every single new 2.8/300mm lens. They were really "like new" when they came back (same for the MinAF 4.5/400mm APO G and the MinAF 4/600mm APO G).

S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize it's an E/D lens.

Good luck with it.

I have a 200 f4 A/I-s non E/D here with a bit of dust on the internal glass in it, and can find little in the way of image interference with it in normal to low contrast situations.

Looking forward to your review, and yes, that is a BIG lens!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

I've been mostly un-impressed with Nikkor zooms of late, and have a bit of a hard time accepting them for what they are.

I don't own much AF gear other than Minolta / Sony AF stuff, and thus my experience with CaNikon AF lenses is very limited.

However, I was shocked to see how poorly the first series of Canon EF 4/70-210mm is performing, compared to the MinAF 4/70-210mm (both from the mid-1980s). Another interesting observation was to see the difference between the first AF Nikkor 2.8/80-200mm and the MinAF 2.8/80-200mm APO G (which came earlier than the Nikkor). And the Nikkor AF 2.8/35-70mm is rather poor performer as well, compared to the contemporary Minolta AF 2.8/28-70mm G (which has a large and expensive grinded/milled/polished aspherical lens).

Doc Sharptail wrote:
The latest to me 35-105 f3.5-4.5 seems to be the most usable of all the nikkor zooms I've tried.
Passable, and usable I/Q with it in about 75% success rate with the way I shoot.

Those series of smallish midrange AiS Nikkor zooms (35-105, 35-135, 35-200) certainly was a compromise between performance, size, and costs. Well. if your 35-200mm is slightly smaller than your 80-200mm, then some performance drop has to be expected ...??

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I'd be definitely interested in the performance of the 200-400 f4 A/I-s.
-D.S.

Me too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This arrived today, the buying process was slightly unusual. I found it online from a small auction house, and got it for a very attractive price, complete with a black Beseler Super D body (average condition) and a 300mm/5.6 preset lens. However I was a little unprepared for the shipping process, it turns out you have to arrange a person to pick it up, package it and then post it, which ended up costing over double the purchase price by the time it got to me in New Zealand. That's life however, and I was happy to see the lens glass was in very good condition as the auction photos did not make that clear. It appears someone has disassembled and reassembled it incorrectly in the past, as it does not rotate all the way to the minimum focus point correctly, so I will have to attend to that shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't quickly find any samples with it. Curious though. It is a double gauss according to the LensDB diagram, not a tele design. More than a KG. Quite some glass. Should have good Bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highlights stand out a lot in the background, but it is a very sunny day here today. There's a slight bit of background swirl going on in the highlights.

This is a 100% center crop at F2and near MFD (1.8m), for a 1960 fast lens I think that's quite good performance, not much glow to be seen, better than many F/2.8 lenses I have tried.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it has potential. The slight softness is a pro for portraiture and can be sharpened up nicely if wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some crazy bargains yesterday!

Tokina AT-X 80-200 2.8 in Nikon mount. Some very slight streaks (look like condensation) can be seen on the second element. Otherwise it is flawless despite the apparent heavy usage. (35CHF)

Tamron 24/2.5, got this for a friend. Looks great (7CHF)

Tamron SP 35-80/2.8-4, a beautiful compact lens and couldn't resist for the price (5CHF)

Also included were the two Adaptall-adapters (Topcon RE, Pentax K). I don't need those, anybody want them? I'd give them away for the shipping cost Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

This arrived today, the buying process was slightly unusual. I found it online from a small auction house, and got it for a very attractive price, complete with a black Beseler Super D body (average condition) and a 300mm/5.6 preset lens. However I was a little unprepared for the shipping process, it turns out you have to arrange a person to pick it up, package it and then post it, which ended up costing over double the purchase price by the time it got to me in New Zealand. That's life however, and I was happy to see the lens glass was in very good condition as the auction photos did not make that clear. It appears someone has disassembled and reassembled it incorrectly in the past, as it does not rotate all the way to the minimum focus point correctly, so I will have to attend to that shortly.

Rare beast! Quite curious about its performance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve. Thanks a lot for your comments. It leaves me wondering what to do next. When I'm with the lens again I'll take some pics of the inside, with and without flashlight. I'd like to hear your opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of curious about this one.
Build quality is quite high on this~ much better than the vivitar/soligor/sears equivalents from the same time period.
Got it at a very reasonable price.

MFD is quite a bit on the long side at 210mm- a bit longer than the posited "less than" 4 feet shown here.

Odd serial numbering with the mount taking up the first two characters of the number. Location of number is a bit different than some other 3rd party makes.
If anyone recognizes this lens, feel free to chime in here.
There is no "Macro" setting on it other than MFD.
There is no "S" scallop on the rear of the mount, so I'd suggest this is a very late '70's/early '80's manufacture lens.

Rear mount detail.

I/Q is surprisingly good~ at least the equal of the Tamron 103-A I already have here.
The diminutive size of it is another surprise.

Edit:

It's a Cosina lens:

I don't know if there was a Vivitar version of this- possible and likely, but this is the first I've seen this small...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably more like middle eighties. You see smaller 70-210mm lenses appearing from the likes of Sigma/Cosina and Tokina and also Tamron (58a/158a) Most other third party brands had gone out of business by then, but these still exist today. Probably Companies like Kobori and Sun Optical made smaller tele zooms as well but you won't see those as often. AF was taking over and many brands were marginalized.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick snap test shots with the Cosina made Image lens above:

At 70mm and f.56, ISO 400

At 210mm and f5.6, ISO 400

At 210mm and 5.6 again.

While not superbly great, the images are certainly usable.
Bit of pincushion on the first image at 70mm, but I've honestly seen much worse from 3rd party zoom lenses before.

MFD at 70mm and f5.6
Both of these are motion blurred from slow shutter: 1/8 sec.

MFD at 210mm and f5.6

I think I'll hang onto my micro's for a bit yet Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I orta have my head examined Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I suppose I felt sorry for it a bit.
Talked price down from 75 CAD, but still paid too much at 60.

Still an interesting lens, and my first 35mm prime.
Note absence of "foot" markings- this one is metric only.

Screwless mount plate.
Aperture ring slides under the "A/I" tab on the D-810.
I'll have to remove the rabbit ears prong so it will rotate freely, and stop-down meter with it.

Now to find out how to massage that filter ring back into some semblance of sanity Razz

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/bent-filter-ring-repair-technique-t46159.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/bent-filter-ring-repair-technique-t46159.html

Thanks.

I was looking for this kind of info. Like 1 small

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice clean copy. On one of my favourite cameras of the era, especially in terms of aesthetic styling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 135mm f2 AIS. ETA one week from now. Waiting for a lens is... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Especially internationally. Waiting for Zen to buy it, waiting for the seller to ship it to Zen. Waiting for it to arrive at Zen. Waiting for enough items in storage to save on shipping, waiting for Zen to package it, waiting for it to be picked up, waiting for it to leave the airport waiting for it to arrive in customs, waiting for customs to send it to the mail company waiting for the mail company to bring it to me. And that's with VAT payed up front. If that goes wrong you'll wait even more.

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-M Zoom 24-35mm 1:3.5
SMC Pentax-M zoom 24-35mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-M zoom 24-35mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:1.4
SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Sonnar and Gauss version of the Nikkor P 105/2.5

Nikkor P Auto 105mm 1:2.5 (Sonnar) by The lens profile, on Flickr

Nikkor P Auto 105mm 1:2.5 (Sonnar) by The lens profile, on Flickr

Double Gauss
Nikkor P Auto 105mm 1:2.5(double Gauss) by The lens profile, on Flickr

Nikkor P Auto 105mm 1:2.5(double Gauss) by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
And the Sonnar and Gauss version of the Nikkor P 105/2.5 ...

Like 1 Like 1 Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all Silver and Black early versions are Sonnars, but easy to spot from the rear. The Sonnar has a much narrower rear element than the Gauss.
Gauss vs Sonnar by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I know. Especially internationally. Waiting for Zen to buy it, waiting for the seller to ship it to Zen. Waiting for it to arrive at Zen. Waiting for enough items in storage to save on shipping, waiting for Zen to package it, waiting for it to be picked up, waiting for it to leave the airport waiting for it to arrive in customs, waiting for customs to send it to the mail company waiting for the mail company to bring it to me. And that's with VAT payed up front. If that goes wrong you'll wait even more.

Yes, there´s still VAT and customs. So I was probably too optimistic.

Related to the images I cut out of the quote of yours: All new, D1N0? You must feel like in heaven! Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Yes, there´s still VAT and customs. So I was probably too optimistic.

Related to the images I cut out of the quote of yours: All new, D1N0? You must feel like in heaven! Congrats

It Does, but damn November, all the light had gone by the time I unpacked them (and it is getting rather crowded in lens heaven).