Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

affordable short no distortion M42 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: affordable short no distortion M42 lens? Reply with quote

Now after using my first manual lenses I realized that e.g my 50mm lenses on my Pentax which makes them 75mm still show some distortion.

Which makes me wonder:
which is the shortest M42 lens without distortion?
and second question would be: which one is a cheap one?
as until now, and while being in Japan I am going for japanese lenses, how about the Takumar 55mm f1.8?

thank you for any hint,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. You have a 50 mm takum. 1,4. Well, all the lenses with F1,4 have a barrel distortion. Ones more than others, but all have it. Don't forget that are lenses with design of 30 years or more. May be loocking for 50 or 55 mm with maxim. aperture F/1,8, F/2 or F/2,8 you may have better results. Pentacon MC 50 mm. 1,8; EBC fujinon 55 mm F/1,8; SMC takumar 55F/1,8, all of this are excelents and in the cheapest side.
And if you like to soft portrait, the helios 44 (the "2" especialy) is good.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your Pentax SLR you can get the SMC Pentax-M 40mm f:2.8 lens, the lovely pancake.
Distortion seems near 0 ! Full frame EOS 5D capture here. The wooden blinds aren't aligned with the window's frame on the bottom.

SMC takumar 55F/1,8 & 55F/2.0 (which are the same optical lens but with a ring to limit aperture for marketing reason) show strong barrel distortion, more than the Helios-44-2.

Last edited by Flor27 on Tue May 20, 2008 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for your answers.

The Helios seems like a 'must' lens,
I had thought that the 40mm pancake is more like a gimmick, but I certainly will have a look out for one, though it may cost more than I am willing to spend right now. Flor I don't see any image in your post though..

thank's again,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just click here. Sorry for hidding the link Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops sorry Flor for not having seen, and thank you for reposting!
very streight lines indeed!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: affordable short no distortion M42 lens? Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Flektogon 4/20 , no lens can beat it for lack of distortion.

kuuan wrote:
and second question would be: which one is a cheap one?

The Flek 4/20 usually goes for 150-200 Euros, don't know how "cheap" this sounds to you, I think that if you compare it with other 20mm lenses it is affordable, of course if you compare it with 50mm lenses it may not sound affordable anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: affordable short no distortion M42 lens? Reply with quote

I would recommend my Canon EF-S 17-85 IS with hardly any distortion at the wide end. Laughing Laughing Laughing

OK, just kidding (but actually it isn't much worse than most of the AF standard zoom lenses.)

Let's get serious:

Orio wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Flektogon 4/20 , no lens can beat it for lack of distortion.

I agree. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Day!

Very usefull is using a good hood to avert reflections.
Then all lenses they are starting with f2,8 works good on my Pentax.
Adreas, try the SMC-M Serie, and you will see, this serie works good on the DSLR.

greetings Peter

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Orio and LucisPictor for your recommendation.
The Flek 4/20 it is then, great, did not expect it from a 20mm lens!
One lens more for my most wanted list!

As I expected it to be a lens in the 50mm range, may I ask further:

If it was a 35 to 50mm, which lens would you vote for?

and on 20mm
I remember that, in another thread, unlike others you, Orio, did recommend the Mir 20mm f3,5. - I guess not for lack distortion though...right?
What do you like the Mir for, and what would you consider a good prize for it?

thank you,
cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

and on 20mm
I remember that, in another thread, unlike others you, Orio, did recommend the Mir 20mm f3,5. - I guess not for lack distortion though...right?
What do you like the Mir for, and what would you consider a good prize for it?

it has a terrible distortion. But it gives excellent colour saturation and for this reason very useful for natural landscapes, where geometrical correction is not important. It would be best used for sea landscapes IMHO, because it saturates much the blue, and we know that often sea photos are a letdown because of the haze and sun glare that lower the saturation.
Careful with the flares though. It is very prone to flaring. Shooting against the sun with no protection is not recommended.
A good price for it would be around 70-80 Euros used, however make sure that it is provided with the rear filters, because without them the focus scale would be off.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cuestions no "optical" may help to decide you in case of perplexity, what distance from you to the subjet is your favorite to work? How much of the subjet do you always like to show? Any specially part, hands, face, legs? Any kind of light?
This and your lens taste perhaps may help you to decide. Good luck and goods portraits.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not M42 nor cheap...

The Sigma 12-24mm has almost no distortion at the wide end Smile