Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Goerlitz Somnium f1.5 85mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Goerlitz Somnium f1.5 85mm Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Seeing how I didn't have an 85mm in my line-up, I splashed out on a Meyer-Optik-Görlitz Somnium f/1.5 85mm lens in Canon mount (from a Leica reseller shop in Germany on ebay!). Only taken it out once so far, but using it on my Canon 5D3 seems to indicate it is a very nice lens. Initial impressions seem to me that the colour rendering is more accurate than most other of my lenses, it is sharp, next to no vignetting (even at f/1.5) and it also works well with infrared (no hotspots).

I've attached some examples from last Saturday at Montecute house in Somerset. All have been exported straight from Lightroom CC with no editing (not even sharpness or white balance). As there is no electronic communication, there is limited EXIF info, but I'm sure you can see which are the f/1.5 shots compared with the others!

EDIT: I did have a title, but I guess the forum doesn't like forward slashes or odd characters like an o with 2 dots above it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great photos there!
I particularly like the bokeh, it has a nice character that I can't quite identify

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello!

nice perspectives.

most of the new meyer lenses seem to be rebadged mitakons, and this one does look very similar to a helios 85mm 1.5,
don't you think?
even IQ seem to be similar. may I ask, what you paid for it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive , I like them !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures.
hasan wrote:
hello!

nice perspectives.

most of the new meyer lenses seem to be rebadged mitakons, and this one does look very similar to a helios 85mm 1.5,
don't you think?
even IQ seem to be similar. may I ask, what you paid for it?

I believe it is.
http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.de/en/somnium-f15-85mm/
Quote:
Optical design: 6 elements in 4 assembly units

And the Helios 44

And costs much less....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soviet-Helios-40-2-85mm-f-1-5-lens-for-Canon-EOS-Camera-NEW-Free-ship-in-USA-/111021126946

On a side note, I see the 40 has an updated look
http://www.diyphotography.net/updated-zenit-helios-40-2-85mm-f1-5-lens-announced/
http://shop.zenit-foto.ru/ob-ektivy/gelios-40-2c-2015-04-06-detail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they ask too much money for the badge... If it's the Helios you can get it for 3rd of the price.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if KMZ build this Helios-40 for this new Meyer optik brand.
They look totaly the same, but it's not in the list of lenses producted by KMZ for other brands...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the marking on the aperture is 1.4 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens was 999 euros, so for me with shipping, just under £700. The Helios 40-2 is still only m42, the EOS mount ones shown on ebay just have the adaptor attached.

I did wonder if they would be the same design or using the same components, but I can't help but wonder if there are better or different coatings on Somnium, just because the colours are vivid without being over-saturated; I don't get that on any other lens, be it m42, Canon, or my Zeiss 50mm with Canon mount.

Mostly I wanted it because I hadn't seen anyone else with one!

Oh, and here's a processed image done with the infrared filter (crpped due to light leak from viewfinder!):

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

I believe that is an image from one of the test lenses before they were brought to manufacture, mine definitely says 1.5 as does the box it came it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid GBP100 for my black Helios 40-2 a few years back, and it sits around unused, maybe I should give it a spin Wink
I still believe it is the same lens, bit brushed up.

That is one nice IR shot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodge wrote:
tomasg wrote:

I believe that is an image from one of the test lenses before they were brought to manufacture, mine definitely says 1.5 as does the box it came it!

Ah ok! Regarding the coatings and colour maybe you can search for photos taken with the new production Helios 40?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made in Germany ? Sorry but this a nothing but a lie, if it's only a rebadged Helios. Also all other new Meyer lenses are not "Made in Germany" :-S Don't forget that Meyer is not Meyer anymore, but has been bought by a company (I don't recall the name), which has nothing to do with photooptics. If I am wrong, Please correct me.

At least, the the price difference may not be that huge. . .

Kind regards
Hasan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious who will produce, for them, the Trioplan lens. Zeiss? Razz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
Made in Germany ? Sorry but this a nothing but a lie, if it's only a rebadged Helios. Also all other new Meyer lenses are not "Made in Germany" :-S Don't forget that Meyer is not Meyer anymore, but has been bought by a company (I don't recall the name), which has nothing to do with photooptics. If I am wrong, Please correct me.

At least, the the price difference may not be that huge. . .

Kind regards
Hasan

I agree that made in Germany is likely a bit strong, Assembly in Germany could be closer to the truth.
If the focus ring is made in Germany and installed in Germany, that will likely satisfy requirements to qualify for made in Germany status.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an old thread with information on this new wave of Meyer Görlitz: http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-goerlitz-new-lenses-t67745.html