Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Budget wide angle lens suggestions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Budget wide angle lens suggestions... Reply with quote

I am looking to expand my lens collection, and I realize I would like to add more wide angle lenses. I just got a Pentax-A 28mm 2.8 for 25 dollars and enjoy it very much, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any other rather cheap but good wide angle lenses. I know anything wider than 28mm starts getting expensive, but I am not very familiar with vintage wide angle primes and would love any input as to what to look for and what are some quality lenses in that regard. Thank you all in advance : ) cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM(you own it) or even wider Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM(you own it) or even wider Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.

Yeah I have been considering the 10-18 as it seems a really good value and works a charm with 70D, and I am considering buying it down the road, but for now I would like to look for some vintage wide angle. The 18-55 is not bad but on a crop sensor it is not overly wide and the low aperture makes it bad for indoor shooting. I will probably get the 10-18 down the road. Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a wide angle to behave as a wide angle on your 70D, you're looking at a 17mm or so and those start getting really pricey. You're not gonna find any cheap 17s. But if you're just looking for wides that you can use as more or less normals, then the one that comes to mind most readily -- a very good optic that sometimes can be found for reasonable -- is the Tamron 24mm f/2.5.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 17
Nikkor 18/4
Are about the cheapest I can think of, there are other options, but that requires getting a FF mirrorless, A7 for example(<$1000USD).
You would need a 9.3mm lens to match my A7r and CV15III($750USD), or 7.5mm to match the CV12, or 6.25mm lens to match Canon's 10-24L, granted these aren't budget, but you may get my point.

Last edited by Lightshow on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:25 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Budget wide angle lens suggestions... Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I am looking to expand my lens collection, and I realize I would like to add more wide angle lenses. I just got a Pentax-A 28mm 2.8 for 25 dollars and enjoy it very much, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any other rather cheap but good wide angle lenses. I know anything wider than 28mm starts getting expensive, but I am not very familiar with vintage wide angle primes and would love any input as to what to look for and what are some quality lenses in that regard. Thank you all in advance : ) cheers.

Manual focus or Auto Focus?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IS will help to if you are not shooting moving objects. If you need a fast lens for indoor shooting in fast shutter speed, you may consider the Samyang 16mm F2.0 ED AS UMC CS but it is quiet expensive. If you consider 24mm, you need to find one which is sharp from wide-open like. The Sigma super-wide II 24mm F2.8 may be a good choice in a budget.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for manual lens suggestions, but the more I think about it, the 10-18 seems like a good choice for the money, I doubt I can get 10mm otherwise for less than 300. I will however keep looking around for some primes such as the ones you guys mentioned. I will be taking a road trip to Europe to rather scenic places so I need more than just my "arsenal" of 50's and such. I would still take some suggestions if anyone has any on some wider mid-20mm lenses to look out for that would serve well as walk around on my crop sensor. Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, a 10mm will give you that WA reach you'll want with your 70D. About all I can suggest regarding that focal length might be to shop around, see what the various manufacturers are making and read reviews for each one before spending money.

As for mid-20s, there's really a plethora to chose from, some of which might be fairly reasonable, pricewise. I can only recommend those optics with which I'm familiar. The aforementioned Tamron 24mm is actually an excellent optic. I tested my copy against a Nikon AI 24mm f/2.8 that I also own on my crop-body Canon, so I wasn't able to evaluate edge or corner sharpness, but within the crop frame the Tamron and Nikkor were almost a dead-even match. Wide open, the Nikkor had a slight edge, but by the time they were stopped down to f/8, the Tamron actually had a slight edge in sharpness over the Nikon. I also own a Canon 24mm f/2.8 SSC, which I consider to be every bit as good as the Nikkor, so I can also recommend it, although you'll have problems mounting it to your 70D, so it's pretty much out, unless you also add a mirrorless to your kit. Sometimes you can find the Canons on eBay for reasonable sums. Sometimes the older pre-AI Nikkors can be found on eBay for reasonable. I recently sold one on eBay for about $100, which is a pretty fair price for a 24mm. But mine was an exceptionally clean example and had been professionally AI'd by a 3rd party.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A second hand Samyang/Rokinon 14 2.8 perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang 14mm is probably the best fit for good performance and price.

I got one just for FF.

Birds on a wire by jenkwang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ways I'd expect to get wider than a 28mm cheaply are a wide angle converter (most will degrade IQ noticeably) and panoramic stitching. Whilst stitching used to be a real pain the likes of Microsoft ICE (free) make it very easy these days.
I know neither of these options have the appeal of a nice old lens, but they might help...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinholecam wrote:
Samyang 14mm is probably the best fit for good performance and price.

I got one just for FF.

Birds on a wire by jenkwang, on Flickr

+ 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget wide angle lens suggestions... Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I am looking to expand my lens collection, and I realize I would like to add more wide angle lenses. I just got a Pentax-A 28mm 2.8 for 25 dollars and enjoy it very much, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any other rather cheap but good wide angle lenses. I know anything wider than 28mm starts getting expensive.

You realize that even your 28 you got for about third of its going rate. $25 is a land of no-name 28's. And if you want wider, there isn't much to do on a budget. Advances in development and manufacturing make it very hard for vintage wide angle to compete against modern designs. And when they can it is in the high end/collectible range, like 21mm Zuikos. Samyang 14/2.8 is probably your best bet. Other than that - there're some 17-20/3.x lenses like Tokina/Vivitar, Spiratone, but I am not certain what the quality of those is like.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to what everybody else said. mf super wides just aren't 'cheap' and, as already noted, not really wide on your 70D. If you think you'll be staying with your 70d for a good while and don't have plans to change your set up for awhile, there appear to be decent super wide af lenses from 3rd party brands. consider, maybe, the tokina 11-16 which is made for aps-c. i haven't used it but i have used their 16-28 for full frame and was very pleased. are you in the u.s.? i forgot to look. it's been awhile since i have looked for auto focus lenses but i think tokina sells refurbished lenses at a nice discount through their partner /sibling company in the u.s. - kenko on ebay and on their website. finally, didn't canon come out with a super wide zoom?

something else to consider if you think you may only be shooting super wide occasionally is to grab a used, cheap second camera with sensors thatare smaller and therefore capable of using a range of c-mount and d-mount lenses which are often still cheap because of their generally limited application. i'm thinking here of micro 4/3 all the way to the pentax q line. just some thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluecoast wrote:

something else to consider if you think you may only be shooting super wide occasionally is to grab a used, cheap second camera with sensors thatare smaller and therefore capable of using a range of c-mount and d-mount lenses which are often still cheap because of their generally limited application. i'm thinking here of micro 4/3 all the way to the pentax q line. just some thoughts.

On micro four thirds very few c-mount lenses less than 25mm will actually cover the sensor. Given the x2 'crop factor' 25mm lenses are only normals anyway. I've got a couple of C-mounts for my µ4/3 system (25mm /1.7 & 35mm /1.4) They give 'iteresting' bokeh but can be quite fun. At least they are cheap Smile
I think I tried a 12mm at one point & found the image didn't show any more than the 25mm due to poor coverage. The 6mm I tried turned out to be CS mount with a short rear flange distance - It couldn't focus much beyond the middle of the front element Sad

There are native µ4/3 wide angles but I don't think there's any shortage of them for Canon anyway... A full frame camera would be better for wide angles but they're not likely to be inexpensive for several years yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way to get those C-mount lenses to work full-coverage, you know. Reverse-mount them. A few years ago, I tried a little experiment with an old D-mount (smaller than a C-mount, used with interchangeable-lens 8mm cameras) Wollensak. I think it was about a 6mm. I used a lens cap for the mount. I took a 49mm lens cap and drilled a 1/2" hole in it and then glued the Wollensak lens to it, reverse-mounted. I set the Wollensak at infinity, wide-open and attached the 49mm cap to a Tamron 90mm macro lens, mounted it to my EOS Crop-sensor camera and took some test shots. I had to get the lens very close to the subject, but it covered the entire frame. I was down in the micro range with my shots. Like imagine seeing the individual dots laid down on paper with a 1200 dpi printer, where a single 8-pt letter more than fills the frame.

It was an interesting experiment, but I haven't done much more with it. So, just sayin' -- there is a definite use for these lenses that won't cover the frame when oriented the right way around, but when reversed they should fill the frame and give great macro shots.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget wide angle lens suggestions... Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
StillSanj wrote:
I am looking to expand my lens collection, and I realize I would like to add more wide angle lenses. I just got a Pentax-A 28mm 2.8 for 25 dollars and enjoy it very much, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any other rather cheap but good wide angle lenses. I know anything wider than 28mm starts getting expensive.

You realize that even your 28 you got for about third of its going rate. $25 is a land of no-name 28's. And if you want wider, there isn't much to do on a budget. Advances in development and manufacturing make it very hard for vintage wide angle to compete against modern designs. And when they can it is in the high end/collectible range, like 21mm Zuikos. Samyang 14/2.8 is probably your best bet. Other than that - there're some 17-20/3.x lenses like Tokina/Vivitar, Spiratone, but I am not certain what the quality of those is like.

Yeah, I do realize that I got lucky, and I am not talking about $25 wider than 28 lenses. By budget, I mean relatively speaking. I'd be willing to spend 200-300 on a couple decent MF lenses besides the 10-18 as i've aquired a few funds recently by selling some of my redundant and unused lenses/cameras.

The Samyang 14mm is nice but I don't think I should get both that and the 10-18...id rather spend the other 300 on a couple MF, and I realize they wouldn't be wide or amazing, I just enjoy MF lenses. Unfortunately I will not be getting any other camera bodies soon, so I realize I'll stay pretty limited with my crop sensor for the time being. I will however look around for that 24mm Nikkor/canon as I think that would make a good walk-around focal lenght. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
bluecoast wrote:

On micro four thirds very few c-mount lenses less than 25mm will actually cover the sensor. Given the x2 'crop factor' 25mm lenses are only normals anyway. I've got a couple of C-mounts for my µ4/3 system (25mm /1.7 & 35mm /1.4) They give 'iteresting' bokeh but can be quite fun. At least they are cheap Smile
I think I tried a 12mm at one point & found the image didn't show any more than the 25mm due to poor coverage. The 6mm I tried turned out to be CS mount with a short rear flange distance - It couldn't focus much beyond the middle of the front element Sad

There are native µ4/3 wide angles but I don't think there's any shortage of them for Canon anyway... A full frame camera would be better for wide angles but they're not likely to be inexpensive for several years yet.

good points, Dconvert! i was kind of spitballing here and just trying to think of another option that has 'cheap' lenses (save for the 16mm lenses) that might present wide angle options. my brain collapses when i actually try to do sensor focal length conversions.

Stillsanj, if you are ok with manual zooms, i think there are pretty reasonable options about (like michael said above). i mostly have primes but do have some mf zooms that i have enjoyed as much for the results as how they handle...i can post back some recs if you like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on similar quest about a year ago, also looking for a cheap, wide for Canon's crop camera (60D):
http://forum.mflenses.com/wide-lens-for-close-distance-action-photography-t66056.html

I ended up with:

- Tokina "Plastic Fantastic" AF 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 in EF mount. Cheap if you're patient, solid IQ, really fast AF, not the best MF ring (but at least it's there) and not the greatest performer when shot against the sun. I can honestly recommend this lens to anyone but I'm still not sure if in terms of the IQ it offers any advantage over my kit Canon 18-200mm. Anyhow, I could be proved wrong.

You'll find a few sample photos on the second page of the aforementioned thread.

- Ensinor & Promaster 24mm f/2.8. Goes by many names and there seem to be some differences from one to another, but again: can be had cheaply, astounding IQ, pleasure to use, easy to focus, offers the macro capability (1:4 magnification) and focuses from such a small distance it makes you bump into things. Super versatile, it's a hell of a lens and I love it!

You can check out some sample photos in the same thread I mentioned above and also here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/ensinor-and-promaster-24mm-f-2-8-cheapnwide-delight-t67726.html

- Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6. Doesn't need recommendations since you're already planning to get one. I'll just confirm that, in my opinion, every positive thing that has been said and written about this lens is true. Its price-tag is unbelievably low for what it offers. The IQ is great, AF is fast, it has IS, it weights next to nothing and it offers tremendous fun-factor to anyone who hasn't shot an UWA before (like myself). I'm serious, it literally puts a smile on my face every time I discover a new angle, a new perspective to look at things. And yes, you need to learn how to compose with an ultra-wide, shooting at 10mm is very different from shooting at 24mm or even at 18mm.

The only drawback of this lens I can think of is the focus-by-wire which doesn't let me use it on A6000 + a cheap adapter. To be honest, this lens stays on my Canon most of the time while for MF lenses I tend to use the A6000 lately.

I think that when it comes to wide angle, for your road trip, you will be best off with the Canon's 10-18mm. You'll be dealing with new circumstances every day, you'll have no opportunity to come back and repeat the exposure and this lens will not only let you cover a lot of different situations/sceneries but also, because of the AF/IS aids, it will simply become the safest bet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido wrote:
I've been on similar quest about a year ago, also looking for a cheap, wide for Canon's crop camera (60D):
http://forum.mflenses.com/wide-lens-for-close-distance-action-photography-t66056.html

I ended up with:

- Tokina "Plastic Fantastic" AF 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 in EF mount. Cheap if you're patient, solid IQ, really fast AF, not the best MF ring (but at least it's there) and not the greatest performer when shot against the sun. I can honestly recommend this lens to anyone but I'm still not sure if in terms of the IQ it offers any advantage over my kit Canon 18-200mm. Anyhow, I could be proved wrong.

You'll find a few sample photos on the second page of the aforementioned thread.

- Ensinor & Promaster 24mm f/2.8. Goes by many names and there seem to be some differences from one to another, but again: can be had cheaply, astounding IQ, pleasure to use, easy to focus, offers the macro capability (1:4 magnification) and focuses from such a small distance it makes you bump into things. Super versatile, it's a hell of a lens and I love it!

You can check out some sample photos in the same thread I mentioned above and also here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/ensinor-and-promaster-24mm-f-2-8-cheapnwide-delight-t67726.html

- Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6. Doesn't need recommendations since you're already planning to get one. I'll just confirm that, in my opinion, every positive thing that has been said and written about this lens is true. Its price-tag is unbelievably low for what it offers. The IQ is great, AF is fast, it has IS, it weights next to nothing and it offers tremendous fun-factor to anyone who hasn't shot an UWA before (like myself). I'm serious, it literally puts a smile on my face every time I discover a new angle, a new perspective to look at things. And yes, you need to learn how to compose with an ultra-wide, shooting at 10mm is very different from shooting at 24mm or even at 18mm.

The only drawback of this lens I can think of is the focus-by-wire which doesn't let me use it on A6000 + a cheap adapter. To be honest, this lens stays on my Canon most of the time while for MF lenses I tend to use the A6000 lately.

I think that when it comes to wide angle, for your road trip, you will be best off with the Canon's 10-18mm. You'll be dealing with new circumstances every day, you'll have no opportunity to come back and repeat the exposure and this lens will not only let you cover a lot of different situations/sceneries but also, because of the AF/IS aids, it will simply become the safest bet.

Wow thank you for the great and in depth response! It is exactly what I was looking for. The 24mm 2.8 sounds like a nice, versatile lens that seems to be rather affordable. I like the fact that it has such close focus distance at such a wide angle. I think that could make a nice addition to the 10-18.

On a side note;One of the mistakes I made is buying the 50mm 1.8, I really wish I bought a 24mm STM instead, I was so close to buying the 24. Now that I have a bunch of 50's, that lens is essentially worthless to me, especially since its lack of video capabilities due to the terrible focus ring and throw. I wish I could go back -_-. Or trade. Oh well, I guess its good to have an Autofocus prime. But the STM would fit that bill too...can't justify it, just a bad decision Smile Thanks again for your input and the example images! you rock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Budget wide angle lens suggestions... Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:

The Samyang 14mm is nice but I don't think I should get both that and the 10-18...id rather spend the other 300 on a couple MF, and I realize they wouldn't be wide or amazing, I just enjoy MF lenses. Unfortunately I will not be getting any other camera bodies soon, so I realize I'll stay pretty limited with my crop sensor for the time being. I will however look around for that 24mm Nikkor/canon as I think that would make a good walk-around focal lenght. Thanks guys.

Hang on a sec -- if you're planning on getting an MF 24mm for your Canon 70D, yes to the Nikkor, yes even to the Tamron, but no on the Canon FD. You'll have to use a special adapter with a glass element to achieve infinity focus with an FD or FL lens, which causes problems with obtaining a good image, besides these adapters also act as mild teleconverters, about 1.25x, so the Canon FD isn't an option for you. Neither will a Minolta MC or MD, but just about any other make you can think of, you can buy an adapter that will give you infinity focus with your EOS. Well, not LTM (M39), either.

I have a suggestion that you might want to allocate a portion of your 300 (USD?) on. If you don't have a macro yet, you might want to seriously think about getting one. The macro range on most zooms is suitable only for close-focusing. Very few give anything close to true macro magnification. Often the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro can be found for reasonable, and it is one of the sharpest lenses out there, period. Most all macros provide excellent results, though, so the main thing to consider is stand-off distance from the subject. A 50-ish macro will bring you much closer to your subject than a 100-ish macro will, but the 100s almost always cost more.

I own several macros (one 55mm, one 90mm, two 100mm, one 105mm, one 135mm, and one 200mm), so if you have any questions regarding them, I might be able to provide answers. Why so many? I dunno, it just happened. I've owned the 55 and 90 for over twenty years. The 105 and 200 were bought because of their legendary results. Both of the 100s and the 135 I found for so cheap, I couldn't leave 'em sitting there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to use stitching software then you can use just about any lens to make ultrawide views. I prefer 35mm and 50mm lenses as they have little distortion and makes stitching easier.

Here's some I did recently with 50mm lenses:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
There is a way to get those C-mount lenses to work full-coverage, you know. Reverse-mount them. A few years ago, I tried a little experiment with an old D-mount (smaller than a C-mount, used with interchangeable-lens 8mm cameras) Wollensak. I think it was about a 6mm. I used a lens cap for the mount. I took a 49mm lens cap and drilled a 1/2" hole in it and then glued the Wollensak lens to it, reverse-mounted. I set the Wollensak at infinity, wide-open and attached the 49mm cap to a Tamron 90mm macro lens, mounted it to my EOS Crop-sensor camera and took some test shots. I had to get the lens very close to the subject, but it covered the entire frame. I was down in the micro range with my shots. Like imagine seeing the individual dots laid down on paper with a 1200 dpi printer, where a single 8-pt letter more than fills the frame.

It was an interesting experiment, but I haven't done much more with it. So, just sayin' -- there is a definite use for these lenses that won't cover the frame when oriented the right way around, but when reversed they should fill the frame and give great macro shots.

Stacking lenses like this opens up all sorts of opportunities to use lenses that you couldn't otherwise mount. Coverage can still be a probem (I had severe vignetting reversing a 6mm astro-telescope eyepiece in front of my DSLR lenses. but I think increasing the spacng between the lenses could have got round that... As it was the lens was touching the pleated lamp shade I tried it out on and the results looked rather like a distant planet!
Results were better with a 40mm eyepiece:
Knot macro by Analyst 1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Learn to use stitching software then you can use just about any lens to make ultrawide views. I prefer 35mm and 50mm lenses as they have little distortion and makes stitching easier.

That's an excellent point! I have a P&S Nikon that has this capability built in. But it sure does answer the wide problem with a crop-body and a good stitching program.

Those examples of yours came out great. Did you use a tripod? Spirit level? What software do you use?