Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ensinor & Promaster 24mm f/2.8 - cheap'n'wide delight
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Ensinor & Promaster 24mm f/2.8 - cheap'n'wide delight Reply with quote

I've been looking for a cheap, decent 24mm or wider lens and one of the suggestions I received (thank you Lloydy) was the Ensinor 24mm f/2.8 or one of its equivalent incarnations.

http://forum.mflenses.com/wide-lens-for-close-distance-action-photography-t66056.html

At the time I've found two auctions that were starting at reasonable prices, posted my bid in each... and accidentally won both. This way I became a proud owner of the Ensinor (M42) and Promaster 24mm f/2.8 (Nikon mount) .

Even though both look roughly as same lens with different badges, there are quite a few differences in its appearance. The front element is much more protruding on the Ensinor, the coating differs in coloring, there appear to be some internal differences as well and the serial numbers are separated by a mere 7.8M (if that means anything).

Physical differences aside, both perform in similar way. Haven't done any scientific comparison but both cover roughly the same FOV. When pixel peeping I got the impression that the Promaster is a tad sharper and handles the CA slightly better, but these conclusions are yet to be confirmed.

Being that the same lens or two completely different optical solutions, I love both. I really expected much less for what I paid. Both are sharp enough, focus from much closer than I'll ever need, handle the adverse light bravely and produce the kind of bokeh that appeals to me. I couldn't be happier Smile

Haven't really used it much for the purpose mentioned in the original thread, nevertheless, here are a few samples. Some came from the Ensinor, some from the Promaster. Some were cropped, some were not. Most were shot at wide open.

#9 - f/5.6 I think

#11 at f/11

#13 against the setting sun

#16 - f/5.6 if I remember correctly

#17 - aperture same as the above

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the Ozone made lens, but it looks to be as good a performer as the Ensinor made by Cimko.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Congratz...
Sigma has a similar 24mm in Pentax K mount Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Clubman is the same as the Promaster, the serial No is K8400+++. I have a Tefnon 24 / 2.8 non macro that I think is a different manufacturer - but it also looks older so it might be a different generation ?
Just to confuse the "who the hell made these lenses?" theorists among us, I recently sold a Super Paragon that some people say is the same as these Clubman, Promaster etc - but that was almost certainly a Cimko, it was different in so many respects. And....the Clubman 28 / 2.8 non macro that's on my desk is possibly a Cimko, maybe a Tokina?

But whatever, the 24 / 2.8 macro is a nice little lens. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think that's the Ozone made lens, but it looks to be as good a performer as the Ensinor made by Cimko.

Lloydy wrote:
but that was almost certainly a Cimko, it was different in so many respects.

Just out of curiosity, how do you tell Ozone from Cimko? Anyone care to share some photos?

Lloydy wrote:
Just to confuse the 'who the hell made these lenses?' theorists among us

Hehe... I just realized that the majority of my lens 'collection' is of unknown or at least uncertain origin. Boy, am I cheap Very Happy

Nordentro wrote:
Looks great! Congratz...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cimko seem to be very consistent with using the unequal green diamond as the focusing mark.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Cimko seem to be very consistent with using the unequal green diamond as the focusing mark.

Got it, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a lot of lens for the money.
Myself also, after watching this pics had run to ebay to see if I could find a copy but, no luck, only 2.8/28, which is not the case,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture #16 is so funny Laughing Have lots of fun with your lenses and your cats.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Certainly a lot of lens for the money.
Myself also, after watching this pics had run to ebay to see if I could find a copy but, no luck

It may take a while but you'll eventually get it, and get it cheap. It was sold under many brands, these are the ones that I managed to find searching the web (there are probably more):

Ensinor
Promaster (usually very expensive, don't know why)
Super Ozeck
SICOR-XL
Clubman
Ozunon
Super Paragon
Tefnon (*EDIT* - this one looks similar but apparently it's been made by Kobori and is a completely different lens)

It's also worth your while to search on .co.uk or .de, since ebay search engine became pretty bad these days. Even changing your shipping address to one in different country can make some new items appear.

dnf_spedition wrote:
Picture #16 is so funny Laughing

Haha, glad you liked it. That's exactly what I bought this lens for Smile Now, if I could only purchase some spare time, I'd certainly have more pictures to share Smile

dnf_spedition wrote:
Have lots of fun with your lenses and your cats.

bernhardas wrote:
Great pictures #15 is my favorite

Thank you guys.

Last edited by kido on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Super Paragon might possibly be the same, but every Super Paragon I've seen is different and a Cimko, but Super Paragon / Paragon was the house brand of a UK company called Photax, and they might well have sourced lenses from different manufacturers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent noname lens, well known to me, congrats!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tefnon was the house brand of Kobori so the Tefnon one is probably made by Kobori.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images, the apple is really stunning!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lenses. Not to be fooled, I have the 28mm version made by Cimko (3rd version) as well as the Ensinor 24mm.
They both are tak sharp and very pleasing bokeh. Here is the Cimko 28mm third version

Regards,
Gavin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I think the Super Paragon might possibly be the same, but every Super Paragon I've seen is different and a Cimko, but Super Paragon / Paragon was the house brand of a UK company called Photax, and they might well have sourced lenses from different manufacturers.

I've found this post:

http://forum.mflenses.com/looking-for-24mm-lens-advice-needed-t42561,start,30.html#1164278

where Super Paragon looks pretty much the same as my Ensinor. So I guess you are right in saying they sourced lenses from different manufacturers. Maybe the letters PMC II on the front ring are suggesting different versions/generations ?

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Tefnon was the house brand of Kobori so the Tefnon one is probably made by Kobori.

You're right. I've found this thread, started by no one else but Lloydy:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tefnon-24-f2-8-t43335.html

Looks similar but not the same. I guess I should take it off the list then.

Attila wrote:
congrats!!

Mark wrote:
Nice images, the apple is really stunning!

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

A few more samples:

#18 - almost got it right

#23 - 1/250th clearly not enough... but I like it anyway