Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Toyo Optics Five Star 500mm f8 refractive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Toyo Optics Five Star 500mm f8 refractive Reply with quote

I already have the Spiratone "girl watcher" at 400mm. Wanted a 500mm lens. This purchase was probably a mistake and I think I overpaid by ten bucks:

Click here to see on Ebay then click see original listing

Doing the research, with 500mm low end (i.e., affordable) optical (not mirror) lenses you appear to have two choices. You can go the old way, with something like this vintage Toyo . . . . or you can go with one of the current day offerings, typically made by Samyang but sold under a variety of brand names.

I probably should have bought a Samyang . . newer design, better coatings, etc. etc. . Oh, well. Confused

Anyway, I enjoy vintage lenses and this purchase will provide opportunity to see how this old Toyo looks. I hope it's not filled with fungus. Shocked

If you own one, what do your think of your Toyo 500 . . or your Samyang 500?

Last edited by guardian on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in the past, I was never that impressed with it...but some of my photos from it ended up in my university magazine and no-one complained, so it wasn't that bad really Smile For that money, you can't really complain! I ended up replacing mine with a Tamron 200-500 5.6; whole different beast (but the price was horrific in comparison)

Hope you enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-93-samyang-500mm-8-t49075.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-93-samyang-500mm-8-t49075.html

magpi wrote:
I had one in the past, I was never that impressed with it...but some of my photos from it ended up in my university magazine and no-one complained, so it wasn't that bad really Smile For that money, you can't really complain! I ended up replacing mine with a Tamron 200-500 5.6; whole different beast (but the price was horrific in comparison)

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks. The reports I saw on the Toyo pretty much agreed with your take: not great but surely not terrible.

I liked the Samyang at least as much, but I messed up:

Had opportunity to buy a new Samyang 500 for US$10 plus (reasonable) shipping. That is a good price. But I wiffed on the auction. I missed it by less than an hour. Was off doing something; cannot recall now what. Gosh was I angry with myself. And when that same Samyang 500 was relisted on eBay, the buyers came out in force bidding it up. All in all an epic fail on my part.

The vintage Toyo will be interesting. Some wags say it is becoming rare. I dunno about that. But if it's not in horrid shape, being so old, I'll probably like it. Hope springs eternal. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this 500 f8 really a Toy? Reply with quote

Mine was pretty good. As much a surprise as 400/6.3 were in terms of low cost/performance ratio.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this review was a good reflection of the pros and cons of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoBXhlJSk1o

Good demo of lens vibrations though i do wonder what tripod he was using..?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived today. I like it a lot. Lens and pouch are brand new, amazing after what has to be more than forty years. I even received the original warranty card and original instruction sheet! This lens has been in a time warp for all these years, then just landed in my lap!

It's self evidently an inexpensive lens - not fancy or pretentious (though not junk either). But the fact of this lens being obviously brand new compensates for that to some extent. Apparently this Toyo Optics preset lens is not widely held. I was able to find a reference, which includes several test shots:

https://olympuszuiko.wordpress.com/2007/07/26/cheap-super-telephoto-lenses-part-iii-handholding-a-toyofivestar-500mm-f8-lens/

Much as I like the lens, I regret being unable to pinpoint its age. There is something in my paperwork that suggests 1967, but that item is not determinative. Certainly the lens is at least 40 years old . . . most likely older than that.