Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Acceptable quality of Pentax Q shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Acceptable quality of Pentax Q shots Reply with quote

As much I use this little cam, better results I get from it. What I like most is the size.

Thesea are a few samples that show the Prime 8,5mm lens is not so bad:

I could say this one es quite sharp:

Playing with the NEX-7 of a colleague at lunch time:

I'm still keeping it after several weeks, it's a really enjoyable camera.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but samples of those size look great even from 20usd camera. have you 1:1 samples?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. In big size tey look also good.
I don't want to clobber the forum with gigantic pictures, so I pass here some pointers for these same ones in 1:1 size (4000x3000)
Not bad in my taste.

Anyway, most of my pictures end in a web site at 800x600 pixels Smile

http://minus.com/lJ4piJMONC6if

http://minus.com/lWC0596TrtCVm

http://minus.com/ln0nZXAqPlyMV

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's plenty of resolution Smile

Looks good from here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Just another one Reply with quote

THis one past saturday, dull day with cold weather:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one is very nice Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
The last one is very nice Smile

Thanks, Stefan!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is showing the Hologon 16mm of my friend Albert, mounted on the Ricoh GXR A12-M (leica mount) module. This module renders very well, and the Hologon is a pretty lens and the picture is clean and sharp:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, I am glad you are persevering with this camera...that B&W image is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we already yet to say the size of the sensor doesn't matter as much as we think it should? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Jes, I am glad you are persevering with this camera...that B&W image is amazing.

Thanks, Mo. It's so small that I can carry it everywhere (workplace included Wink ), so it's always with me...
Although I have to find yet a capable manual lens for it Sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
are we already yet to say the size of the sensor doesn't matter as much as we think it should? Twisted Evil

I wouldn't say so... Bigger sensor makes a big difference, better results are much easier toachieve. I sacrifice that for the commpdity of the small size. Not easy to find a good MF lens for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it will be trial and error until you find that perfect lens Smile From the lenses you have already tried what has been the "best" lens so far?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I guess it will be trial and error until you find that perfect lens Smile From the lenses you have already tried what has been the "best" lens so far?

The best manual lens so far has been the 8.5mm kit lens focused manually Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my partner must have over heard me muttering about the silly little Q. She went and bought me one for our anniversary Laughing

I'm just "developing" the first images now Razz

God they really are tiny!

It really is the funniest thing looking at it, seeing the flash mount and thinking... sif I'd ever use that! Then you turn it over and of course there is a full size normal tripod mount and im like.. Geeees pentax don't really do anything by half's.

Also. It really does feel as sturdy as they say. Its confidently rugged.

Ridding back from work I had no troubles using it one handed, Autofocus is quick as you need, I guess I'll know about the metering in a few seconds. (slow sd card Razz)

Screen even in direct light is useable. AND! there is a button to turn it off completely if you just your manual view finder.

I haven't used a point and shoot for so long so it was a little strange not having that comfortable camera blanket up around my face honestly. It is absolutely a non imposing camera tho. Practically silent, anything but aggressive. It's lovely. I'm going to enjoy stalking tourists around the cbd with this thing Razz

Re: Manual lenses. The camera doesn't have a shutter! It's in the lens. the electronic shutter is good for 1/13th of a second. Changing that just messes with the ISO so forget it. Use the Pentax primes. I have the "standard prime" too. the focus color is fine. I suppose it's electronic coupled and has very fine steps, no lag, useful.

I just wish the preset button down the front was more customizable. you can select from 5 different genres of quick settings. I wish i could pick and choose between either of them.

Anyway SD card has downloaded. bye bye Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fun Razz

For a point and shoot i think its important that you point and shoot

It has this saturate everything mode, Kinda Fun Razz

The last one had the most, actually it had the only post processing :p I pushed the black value all the way up to knock out some detail in the dominating building in the forefront, just in effort to make it cooler Razz

For this image I imported the raw then realized i don't have any profiles to correct lens distortion :p oh well. So I tarted up the saturation to bring some blue back. This is only here because i was excited it kept the detail in the underside of the branches even with all that other crap going on. It was full "auto" and it kept the detail. See post at start re being it important that a point and shoot points and shoots Razz There won't be any landscape prices with this little sensor, but its nice to know the dynamic range is really quite reasonable.

And just to be fair to the little Q. This is what It saw before I wanted more blue Razz

More mega black and white saturation.

It would be nice if you could control the "filter setting" or make your own to be honest, because once you get over worrying about quality of the sensor and what not, and try to think back to the subject and content, quality quickly becomes a uninteresting question. Ie I would have a bnW Filter that looked more like HP5 for you old ducks. Well, less saturation and a more grey feel about it. Oh well. I can still post that later from the raw naturally. It's just the point in a point in shoot is that you can compose and be done with it limiting and getting rid of any post work. But I still have raw files if i truly feel mental

And lastly for the inner hipsters in us all the " old colour film setting" if you will, mutes things down nicely

Again only to show you there are details in the shadows. Wooo Hooo!

The little "standard prime" flares like a trooper in direct sunlight. Thankfully tho its not exactly hard to raise your hand and nuke it outa the way. But yes I feel I should tell you all it does.

Anyway.. What a fun little thing. This thing will be ace once I get a chance to walk around the city stalking some people. It's so small and tiny no one is going to feel uncomfortable with this little thing being raised toward them

Album for the pixel peepers in us all here
https://plus.google.com/photos/108498827340748937615/albums/5893616304652632097?authkey=CLGc-JDpsMrkuwE

Last edited by tromboads on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and here it is next to my watch to give you an idea of just how adorable they are!!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples, I didn't know about that "saturate" mode... Seems interesting.
I still keep using it a lot. But not found any usaeble MF lens for it.
The last firm update got better AF precission and speed, now is even useable Smile

I've set it dual shooting: RAW+JPG and activated the B&W mode, so I get a full RAW image and a B&W JPG that uses to be fine straight out of the camera...

Now Pentax has annouced the Q7 with a bigger sensor... Neverending story.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about saturate everything, but first two B&W are stellar.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I selected a filter it didn't leave me the raw... Sad hmmmmmmm I had raw+ selected as normal but was surprised it didnt leave the raw... how did you make yours do that? :p

Yes the firmware update is good. Its nice and quick now.

Yes I don't really like the over sat everythknfnlook either. At the time it was the only way I could see to shoot a black and white image in camera... but then I read the manual :p

And why shoot it on camera. Cause its a point and shoot and its fun gord darn it. :p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
When I selected a filter it didn't leave me the raw... Sad hmmmmmmm I had raw+ selected as normal but was surprised it didnt leave the raw... how did you make yours do that? :p

I use Av mode, no filters. I'm afraid the usage of filters limit the output to plain JPG (with no RAW at all).
In some modes there is an option to save the RAW image after the shot and when it's still in the cams memory by pressing the [+/-] button. Not sure if in filter mode would do the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip! it indeed will dump the raw image to disk through the gallery of the last image Smile Haaaaaandy! Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get buckets of depth with 8mm :p even at f1.9 there is ample articulation of edges. And even the shitty detail in the carpet is pronounced. And the edges are straight. Theses are all jpeg's out of device. Bigger ones are found over here

Small cameras are fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. It works with trees too. Razz

Bigger. And without the mflenses blur filter Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these!