Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixed lens rangefinder camera lenses, what to look out for?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Fixed lens rangefinder camera lenses, what to look out for? Reply with quote

looking for some advice regarding brilliant lenses I can use from a fixed lens cameras, I've done a couple of conversions, most of them have not produced great results, with the exception of the yashica GS lens and the Minitar lens from an LCA, the lens from the instamatic 500 is generally good but isn't particularly sharp...

the one thing I never really liked was the minimum focusing distance of the lenses but realised that even the LTM lenses have similar MFT so instead of buying expensive LTM lenses I want to explore some other options from the fixed lens cameras.

The vivitar 35es and Minolta 7sii and the different variants of these cameras have caught my eye with their 40mm 1.7 lenses (its said they are similar to the Minolta 40mm F2 LTM lens) I think to Konica S3 might be related but haven't found any conclusive proof of this, besides they are quite costly so they are out of the equation.

I know similar questions have been asked but I'm looking for more of a defined category, lenses shorter than 40mm and faster than F2 and that don't glow too much wide open.

there is also the Olympus 35rd that gives good results, but again are quite expensive.

Last edited by Layer-cake on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a completely broken Olympus Wide Super with a non-broken lens...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the first time I've heard of this camera, I'll keep a look out for it! many thanks Calvin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that they do indeed, I know of the slower lenses like the tessar and trio plan but I don't really recall anything faster.

don't get me wrong theirs nothing bad about slower lenses mostly they produce better results than faster ones, I found a cassarit 50mm 2.8 after I saw klauses photo and I'm really liking it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri rangefinders. There are many models with f/2 or f/1.9 6 element type lenses.

The lenses are good, the bodies are generally no good because the shutter cocking linkage wears out and is a real pitb to work on.

Canter Beauty. Very nice lens. Not a bad camera, except the cocking linkage was designed to go wrong with just a bit of wear.

Aires. Good f/1.9 lens. (Notice a pattern?). Bodies always have faded beamsplitters. Good luck swapping them.

Walz Envoy. This had a Sonnar, not a double gauss like the others.

Lots and lots of others. Ricoh, Mamiya, Yashica, Konica, everybody had rangefinder cameras with f/2 or better lenses, usually 45mm. If I had an evf mirrorless I would definitely give this a go as I've got a half dozen lenses on dead bodies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luis. I have get some ideas what cameras should I hunt for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed thanks Luis, and yes I have come across a couple of those, mostly 45mm as stated. there is also the canon ql17 which has a 40mm 1.7 but from what I can gather from reviews is that its quite glowy wide open.

the lens from the ql19 is great too but I prefer the yashica GS lens, when it comes to the 45mm range.

just some extra experience, I did a conversion of a Konica S1.6 lens but its quite unusable wide open. super glowy. I also tried to do a conversion of an aires with the 1.9 lens but the shutter was jammed up and I did a bit too much damage trying to get too the shutters, so it was a bit of lost cause, same with the pen with the 35mm F2, I did a bit too much damage to it but it also seems quite glow wide open so its a nice ornament at this point.

regarding digital viewfinder cams, I really like the Fuji bodies and the lens option are great but a bit pricey so I'm currently saving up;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rokkor 45/1.7 ready for conversion, early test looks promising.
http://forum.mflenses.com/rokkor-pf-45mm-f-1-7-rf-lens-t67634.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good lens but from I've seen quite difficult to convert and maintain infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glowy is good !
That's the period look.
Same deal as the Wollensak Tessar copies usual on Speed Graphics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed lens rangefinder camera lenses, what to look out f Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
lthere is also the Olympus 35rd that gives good results, but again are quite expensive.

fully automatic 35dc can be slightly cheaper and has a great 1.7 lens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Glowy is good !
That's the period look.
Same deal as the Wollensak Tessar copies usual on Speed Graphics.

if you don't mind Luis I'd like you to expand a bit more on the topic, and please take it from a complete novice point of view

I have learnt a lot over the last 3 years from this forum but I do know I have a lot to learn when it comes to using certain lenses in the right situation to get the right effect.

for me the sort of quest to have the sharpest lens has been a big driving factor and only until recently have I realised what a big difference the overall picture makes...the OOF areas can actually be the focal point and exquisite parts of a picture and I never really considered that.

I was looking at some 50 year old post cards today and had a moment of realisation of how far photography has come and I want to know, very very badly how I can improve on what I want to do. a big negative is having to many lenses, but this is an issue of dealing with LBA and inexperience when it comes to equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go have a look at the contemporary photo magazines, like Popular Photography, from when this stuff was current. Pretty much the whole run of Pop Photo from the 1930s-50s is now online on google.
Back in those days these mags were nearly all about technique and results, not gear.

Any other good collection of photojournalist work of the 30s-70s would be interesting too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm