Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Testing Opinions Reply with quote

As I have a lot of lenses that I have yet to shoot with, I was wondering what your opinion of a good all around test for a lens would be. I would like to come up with a some kind of 'standard' that I could use when I attach a new lens. I would like for it to be a combination 'real life' and 'bench' shooting.

I would think it should include architecture, landscape, close focus/macro and studio shots. What about the aperture, should it be tested at all stops or just wide open, middle and fully closed. Should shots using flash be included or just available light.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas. What would you do if making this test.

I am looking to evaluate my equipment (and sharpen my skills).

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method is next:

1) Nice subject (not bookshelf, neighbour roof etc.)
for portrait lens portrait
for wide angle lens architeture or landscape etc.

2) three aperture set if possible
a) wide open
b) stoped down
c) f5.6 or above

Provide at least 5-6 Mpx image to see resolution , not just crop from one part.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila,

By stopped-down, isn't f5.6 and above, stopped-down? Or are you talking
about one stop from wide open?

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking stoped down from wide open or f5.6.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I am talking stoped down from wide open or f5.6.

OK, understand. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My method is next:

1) Nice subject (not bookshelf, neighbour roof etc.)
for portrait lens portrait
for wide angle lens architeture or landscape etc.

2) three aperture set if possible
a) wide open
b) stoped down
c) f5.6 or above

Provide at least 5-6 Mpx image to see resolution , not just crop from one part.

- I found my test set-up (camera on desktop, some stuff in the bg) quite useful to judge on sharpness and bokeh.
- Additionally, a landscape shot and a portrait would show a lot.
- I agree on the different apertures approach. My suggestion:
1) wide open
2) f2.8
3) f5.6
4) f8 or f11 (not more, because diffraction on the sensor side can reduce quality)

- Of course, it would be the optimum to test on a full frame cam, but if you only use a crop DSLR, there is no reason why you shouldn't test with it. (I do not have a 5D either, and tests with film cams also include the "scanner" aspect.)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys!

I am starting to develop a plan (by stealing yours) Very Happy

Anyone else have some pointers/advice/theory?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone else have some pointers/advice/theory?

Just one thing; since there's no such thing as the perfect lens, don't get too hung up on testing - establish each lens' strengths and weaknesses and once you've done that, take photographs with them that exploit those strengths.

Doing that will lessen any possible disappointment. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what i am trying to do Bob. i do not have the experience as some of the others and do not know what works well in certain situations. I want to test lenses through a wide range of situations and figure out where it fits with my other equipment. I also expect to get a few surprises, both good and bad, during this process.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds reasonable Michael - my comments were based on what I've seen on some other forums where some individuals have gone too far with their testing and as a result have ended up thinking that their lenses are junk, or pretty close to that, when in fact the reverse is true.