Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meniscus surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Meniscus surgery Reply with quote

OK this is my Kodak Vest Pocket, it arrived about one month ago:

I put a slides box next to it for comparison, it is really a tiny camera and very tiny lens.

So, now, what am I supposed to do? What actions, tools, etc?

(Provided that I find the heart to tear the camera apart, the shutter works, it has four positions, rightmost and leftmost it operates with a fast time, the two center positions open the shutter indefinitely, one keeps it open until you keep the shutter button pressed, the other one opens the shutter with one click and closes it with the other. It is a bit heart breaking to think that this camera has passed through one century saving itself and now I would tear it apart...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Meniscus surgery Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
So, now, what am I supposed to do? What actions, tools, etc?

The only tool you need is a small, flat blade screwdriver.

1. close the camera

2. there is the round port on the back, open the lid by turning it anti-clockwise until the rivets are at something like half past ten o'clock / half past four o'clock (with the camera body at portrait orientation). The lid may be a little bit tight after all the years. Sometimes it is easy to turn it by the rivet heads, sometimes it's easier to open it from the rim inserting the tips of some finger nails slightly under the edge - this way you don't have to guess how far to turn because it will come off when you reach the point.

3. now you have access to the ring attaching the lens to the bellows, unscrew the ring. When you open the camera, the bellows wont open anymore.

4. the lens assembly is attached to the front panel with four screws (the outer ones on the camera body, not the ones on the faceplate), use the screwdriver to release it. Up to this point every operation is completely nondestructive and easily reversible.

5. the lens body is attached to the shutter and aperture complex with three screws. At least in some models, the innards of the ball bearing shutter will be uncovered at some point and it is very easy to lose the very small balls or just get the loose components in disarray making the reassembly difficult or impossible - so take care if you have any intension of reassembling the thing.

I hope this gets you going.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Veijo. I am stopped at point 2 because the round port has been obviously hit hard (it has a dent) and does not open, nor rotate. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thank you Veijo. I am stopped at point 2 because the round port has been obviously hit hard (it has a dent) and does not open, nor rotate. Confused

In that case, take thin nosed pliers, grab the edge of the lid and use some force. The camera is a goner anyway unless you can open the lid as it is the only access to the back of the lens for cleaning.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

In that case, take thin nosed pliers, grab the edge of the lid and use some force.

I tried, but I couldn't. I begin to think that the only way to open it is to use brute force. Sad