Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon EM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Nikon EM Reply with quote

Here's my Nikon EM

This camera means a lot to me.

It belonged to my grandfather, who bought it somewhere around the time it came out I think.

Then when he got an AF-camera, he gave the Nikon to my father, who used it for a while at airshows etc.

Then a few years back, when I started to get interested in photography, I discovered this camera in the closet, and found out that it was still working!

I rarely shoot it, but nonetheless I will never give it away, because of the history it has Smile

I have 3 lenses for it. 2 of which are very nice ones. An E-series 50mm f1.8, an E-series 100mm f2.8
I also have a Tokina push-pull 80-200mm zoom, but it has some dirt inside.

Took a picture today, attila you can use it for your gallery.

more info here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/em/

greets,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! Great shoot!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, do you mind telling me what equipment you used for lighting your picture of the Nikon? I have never needed to make any pictures with such nice lighting before, but I'm expecting to put some of my lenses up for sale soon Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have had a few Nikon SLRs and Nikormat. My fav The EM. It is so simple so quick and just a good tool. Of all my film cameras I kept two SLRs. One of my Original Pentax SL models (Black) and the Nikon EM. I also have the power wind for it. Simple is often best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Tom, do you mind telling me what equipment you used for lighting your picture of the Nikon? I have never needed to make any pictures with such nice lighting before, but I'm expecting to put some of my lenses up for sale soon Smile

No problem Smile

I didn't use anything that costs money, except maybe the flash. (I got it for 24 euros)

What you need is a an external flash that can "bounce"

(if you don't have one, you'll need to diffuse the flash light some other way, or take the photos outside in the sunlight)

I used a Cobra 700AF flash unit. Doesn't work automatically on my camera but in a controlled environment that doesn't matter.

I used regular white printing paper as an underground. I put about 9 sheets together on the floor to be able to fill the frame.

Put the flash on your camera and select the flash white balance. Also put the camera in RAW, it's necessary.

Then, make the flash bounce straight up (vertical) and fiddle with the settings to get a good exposure. You want the white to be as white as possible without overexposing the subject. Don't worry if it's still a little gray, you can correct that later.

also don't worry about small cracks between the sheets of paper, they can be corrected in photoshop later.

Now once you have 3 or 4 good shots from slightly different angles, dowload them onto your computer.

Use a RAW processing program to edit the images. (I use Rawshooter Essential, downloadable free, just google it)

Now that you can see the shot clearly & in full size on your screen, increase the exposure compensation so that the white gets brighter and stops looking like paper. Make sure you dont overexpose the subject though.
Once you can't go any brighter, pull up the "Highlight contrast" slider as far as you can.
This should make the whites really white.

Now process the RAW into a JPEG.

Open the JPEG into a photo editing program (photoshop) and crop it until you get a nice frame with just the subject and white background.

If there are any darker areas in the background, use the dodging tool to highlight them and fix any cracks with the healing brush.

And voila, you're done Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or...if you're going to sell a lot: you could make one of these:

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/super-simple-light-tent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tom!

The only Nikon I have got, apart from my Coolpix 950, is a Nikon EM.
When I got it first, I was not sure about it, because I though a camera should offer a variety of settings.
But actually that what the EM offers seems to be enough to take good photos. And that's what's really important, right?

Nice cam, good picture!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to avoid completely the small gaps between sheets, you can use large cardboard sheets, they sell them in many shops, about 50x70 cm size whould be enough, if you photograph big things you can buy one 100x70 cm, with a couple of Euros you are set.

That's what I use.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If you want to avoid completely the small gaps between sheets, you can use large cardboard sheets, they sell them in many shops, about 50x70 cm size whould be enough, if you photograph big things you can buy one 100x70 cm, with a couple of Euros you are set.

That's what I use.

Laughing I have no problem finding large sheets of white paper Orio. I am an architect remember? In my office we have stocks of A1 and A0 sheets, and even rolls A1 wide x 100m long!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I was .... I bought a light tent Sad Congratulation guys your idea is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
What you need is a an external flash that can "bounce"

(if you don't have one, you'll need to diffuse the flash light some other way, or take the photos outside in the sunlight)

I used a Cobra 700AF flash unit. Doesn't work automatically on my camera but in a controlled environment that doesn't matter.

I used regular white printing paper as an underground. I put about 9 sheets together on the floor to be able to fill the frame.

Put the flash on your camera and select the flash white balance. Also put the camera in RAW, it's necessary.

Then, make the flash bounce straight up (vertical) and fiddle with the settings to get a good exposure.

Excellent Tom, thanks. I've already downloaded Rawshooter Essential. I've been using only the Canon software till now.

For the 400D I have only the onboard flash at present. I have an old Sunpak Auto28 flash for the film SLRs, but I don't want to risk using it with the Canon because I think the voltage is too high and might damage the circuitry.

I've been trying to work out what benefit there is using E-TTL flash units with manual lenses, I don't think there is any. And they're not cheap either! But I'm a bit wary about using anything other than an X-version Speedlite because of the voltage problem.

When you say point the flash vertically, are you bouncing it off the ceiling? I thought you might be using an umbrella or a tent maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDN wrote:
or...if you're going to sell a lot: you could make one of these:

http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/super-simple-light-tent

Great idea - I'm going to try this!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

When you say point the flash vertically, are you bouncing it off the ceiling? I thought you might be using an umbrella or a tent maybe.

yes, bounce off the ceiling. Diffuses the light considerably at gives you the chance to use f11 or higher, needed for the DOF

Too bad about the flash voltage. The trigger voltage on my Pentax goes up to 30V safely, or so I've read. Anyway a P-TTL (pentax equivalent of E-TTL) flash costs at least half as much as my camera cost me, I couldnt miss that money...

If you're just using the onboard flash a DIY solution from that site that doesnt require flash might be your best choice.

I'll probably try some of the things from that site out once I move into my own apartment. Then I don't have to worry about making a mess Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've already downloaded Rawshooter Essential. I've been using only the Canon software till now.

It doesn't seem to read Canon CR2 files Sad Is there anything I can do?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RSE and it reads the files from my 5D no problem - could it be that it doesn't support your particular camera model?

Alternatively, try downloading it again, then re-installing it - make sure that the drive you install it onto has sufficient disk space to accommodate the temp files that RSE creates when processing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawshooter unfortunately (because it's my preferred program) was bought and discontinued by Adobe. For this reason, it does not support the newer cameras. For instance, I can not use it with my 400D. But I can -and do- use it with the 5D, and if one has any Canon digital reflex camera prior to the 400D (which means practically all existing models except for the newest 1D III), he can use Rawshooter with them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the free Adobe DNG converter, convert to DNG-RAWs and then develop in RSE. This should work!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Get the free Adobe DNG converter, convert to DNG-RAWs and then develop in RSE. This should work!

Ah, that's brilliantly thought, Carsten!
I must try that.

I will not need the converter, my Downloader Pro (the software I use for downloading from cards) can do the conversion directly as it downloads.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Done that, thanks Carsten but RSE only supports Canon cameras up to 350D.

I found out how to open 400D files though! You need to do a Hex edit on the program file Rawshooter.exe and change all instances of "350D" to "400D" (6 instances) and it works OK Smile

Let me know if you need any help on how to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Done that, thanks Carsten but RSE only supports Canon cameras up to 350D.
I found out how to open 400D files though! You need to do a Hex edit on the program file Rawshooter.exe and change all instances of "350D" to "400D" (6 instances) and it works OK Smile
Let me know if you need any help on how to do this.

Really???
Oh PLEASE advice, yes!!
Do you use an hex editor? I know nothing of these things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just google it for any hexa editor. Make a backup first from exe file and open it every editor has search and replace function like normal text editor. Do same replace 350 to 400 what Peter wrote. Don't worry easy like normal text editing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, check your private messages

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Peter the rawshooter trick does not work. It can not find instances to replace Crying or Very sad

Is it possible your version of Rawshooter predates the 350D as well? You could try replacing 300D with 400D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:
Peter the rawshooter trick does not work. It can not find instances to replace Crying or Very sad

Is it possible your version of Rawshooter predates the 350D as well? You could try replacing 300D with 400D

I think it's unlikely, my version is the latest update they released jsut before it was discontinued.
I tend to believe it has to do with the fact that this is the Pro version.
I will download and install the free version.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

As far as RSE is concerned, I thought it wouldn't play a role with DNG-files. Confused

I mention that because I had a similar problem with PS CS and CS2.
The Adobe Camera Raw version for PS CS (1) could not open 350D RAWs, only the PS CS2 version could.
But when I converted the 350D CR2s into DNG, I could use the old Adobe Camera Raw version.

P.S.: Oh, crap, once again I hit the wrong button, so I edited instead of quoting. Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total