Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schacht Travelon 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Schacht Travelon 1.8/50 Reply with quote

I've been looking for an example of this lens for my edixas for a long time. It's not an easy lens to find in the U.S. (and does not seem particularly common in Europe either for that matter). I spied one in an ebay listing for a beat up Edixa-Mat reflex. BIN was $399. I offered $50, and within seconds of submitting the seller accepted the offer! I guess it never hurts to try. Laughing

The camera arrived today - it is more or less wrecked. The lens though extremely filthy does at least seem to have decent glass. The aperture blades are oily and sticky so I can't use it on my film cameras until it gets a cleaning, but I did make a few test shots on digital.

First pic after cleaning... lens still needs more cleaning to be 100%.

Checking front and back OOF rendering at f/4.

Bokeh at f/1.8 and f/5.6

Lens is very sharp at f/4. Very Happy

I found the Travelon to be soft wide open, but I think this is due to it needing a cleaning inside and out. It is very sharp by f/2.8 - although not really a spectacular performer. OOF rendering is very edgy wide open, in common with all other Schacht lenses I have used. Overall I would say it is about on par with the Takumar 1.8/55 which commonly sells for half as much (but which will not work with Edixa SLRs!).

[/i]

Informal handheld comparison between the Petri 1.8/55 (top), 2/50 preset(middle), and Schacht Travelon (bottom).

Last edited by Mos6502 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is good and the performance is not bad. It is not as sharp as the top Germany 50s of its time but the color and low light performance is pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that is not a typo, it is a Travelon? They have some very interesting lenses that came with the Edixa cameras....I like your bartering technique...go for the knees and hope for the best. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Travelon name is part of what makes this lens a hard one to search for online. Laughing

It was also a very expensive lens when it was new sitting between ISCO Westrocolor and the Schneider Xenon, which didn't give it much of a gap to fill - not to mention that since most people bought Edixa SLRs because they were cheap they usually opted for the slower cheaper lenses like the Cassaron, Iscotar, and Travenar.

I'm hoping to see a bit more performance once it gets a proper cleaning inside, but I do like the contrast and color reproduction even as it is.

Here it is on one of my Edixas:
Edixa Prismat LTL by berangberang, on Flickr

The Schneider style DOF scale is pretty cool too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is a pretty lens,thanks for the details,I knew about the westrocolor but not this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope it does not mean "travel on" (to another lens) Wink Wink Wink

Not a bad lens seemingly, but to me nothing to write home about Wink

Let#s hope the cleaning does its magic!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I think that sums up all the Schacht lenses I have seen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the bigger brother, the 100 3.3 Travegar, and it's OK. A lens with a certain 'character' I suppose. I quite like it though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, most lenses from Schacht in not inferior to other West Germany makers at the same time. The two Schacht lenses I tried(2.8/90 and 3.5/135) have pretty good resolution and contrast with nice bokeh. The coating is pretty weak, though.

I would like to add we should compare lens produced at the same time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I think that sums up all the Schacht lenses I have seen.

I believe this is known as "damning with faint praise" and - unfortunately - may well deter newer and/or less experienced readers from trying Schacht lenses. That would indeed be a regretable thing to happen.

The Schacht lenses made in the later 1950s and 1960 were, in my experience, good performers and nicely made. In the mid-1960s Leitz 'adopted' the 35/3.5, 90/2.8 and 135/3.5 in specially made rangefinder coupled mounts to cater for the still present demand for Leica screw mount lenses. We sold these and never, ever had a complaint. The optical designs were exacty the same as the SLR versions and, as Calvin says, they gave comparable German (and Japanese) lenses more than a good run for their money. Recently I bought a 135/3.5 in M42 fitting and am really pleased with how it performs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked all the Schacht lenses I've come across - the only problem with them is, especially in the early ones - it is very hard to find them in good condition. The coating and the cement used was not the best, and you usually find them with deteriorated coating, bubbles in the cement or separation (and the seller almost always thinks it should still be worth as much a mint example).

The Travegon 3.5/35 is one of the nicest wide angle lenses of its era (pit it against a lithagon or westron and it'll blow it out of the water), and the 2.8/90 is pretty good too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not damning anything, just saying I've yet to see a Schacht lens that stood out as something better than it's contemporaries, but conversely, all the Schacht lenses I have seen have been good, I've only owned one, a 3.5/135 and I sold it because it wasn't as good as the contemporary Schneider Tele-Xenar 4/135, CZJ Sonanr 4/135 or Zeiss Sonnar 4/135 that I also own. It was better than the Steinheil 2.8/135 I also had though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't feel that the lens is spectacular, although I am hoping it may do a little better with a proper overhaul. A lot of these early 60's fast 50s are soft wide open, people wanted fast lenses for easier focusing on SLRs - but rarely used aperture over f/2.8 so it was not too important that the lenses were sharp at 1.8 or 1.7 on all of these six element designs that probably would have worked better as f/2 lenses.

I have a personal opinion that most old German lenses are overrated anyway, performing no better than most old Japanese lenses of the same era but commanding two or three times as much money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact you wanted to use it on your Edixa camera, was the main reason you bought it? We could all sit home and collect stamps but were is the fun in that (forgive me all you stamp collectors,perhaps I should pick on the pen collectors Wink)? Using and collecting lenses is much more fun...especially when you don't pay a premium price.

It is nice to see the different sample images on the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I also don't feel that the lens is spectacular, although I am hoping it may do a little better with a proper overhaul. A lot of these early 60's fast 50s are soft wide open, people wanted fast lenses for easier focusing on SLRs - but rarely used aperture over f/2.8 so it was not too important that the lenses were sharp at 1.8 or 1.7 on all of these six element designs that probably would have worked better as f/2 lenses.

I have a personal opinion that most old German lenses are overrated anyway, performing no better than most old Japanese lenses of the same era but commanding two or three times as much money.

I have opposite experience. German SLR lenses from late 50s and early 60s are superior to the Japanese lenses. Many of the fast 50s are have good resolution at wide open. This includes but not limited to Schneider Xenon 1.9/50, Steinheil Quinon 1.9/50 and the very best Voigtländer Septon 2/50 or Carl Zeiss Planar 2/50.

The reason of the high price is caused by huge demand from Asia. Some of the German SLR lenses have pretty unique characters which make them very desired by Asia photographers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Schacht Travelon 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new lens!

Mos6502 wrote:
OOF rendering is very edgy wide open, in common with all other Schacht lenses I have used.

I beg to differ. My Schacht Travenar 90/2.8 has one of the beautifulest background bokeh I have ever seen, very smooth and without any brightlines. As an illustration, here are some gorgeous pictures that Tobias Guttmann (Tobbsman) published a while back on this forum:

Credit: Tobias Guttmann

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

The reason of the high price is caused by huge demand from Asia. Some of the German SLR lenses have pretty unique characters which make them very desired by Asia photographers.

But the Japanese also produced the Fujinon 2.2/55, the Petri Orikkor 2/50, and the Takumar 2.4/58 and 2/58 - all lenses which are of unique design in the 35mm SLR world, and all of which produce distinctive rendering. But that is getting a bit off topic.

@Abbazz : you can see the distinctive "schacht look" in the last photo if you look closely.

@Mo : Indeed. It is nice to have the right lenses for the cameras, and the Edixas are very picky about which automatic lenses they will work with. It is a bit funny though that Edixa SLRs are commonly derided but were generally sold with what are now some of the most desirable or hardest to find lenses out there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Orikkor and the two takumar is pretty unique. That is why the are more expensive than other Japanese 50s.

(OT)
From what I know, the Orikkor and the Nikkor-S are the only two seven elements 2/50s made in Japanese for SLR.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

I share that opinion.

It's a recent phenomenon due to Asians, same thing has happened with British lenses from Dallmeyer, TT&H, Ross etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

I share that opinion.

It's a recent phenomenon due to Asians, same thing has happened with British lenses from Dallmeyer, TT&H, Ross etc.

I think westerners had a good deal to do with the prices for Primoplans and Triotars lately too. I'm actually kind of glad most Japanese lenses have been left alone. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your experience so far with this Travelon lens.
I only have one A.Schacht lens - the Edixa-Travenar-A 2.8/50
If your lens is meant to be a superior optic to the Travenar-A, then it has enormous potential to be truly wonderful.
Here is one image from mine which I consider to be very good indeed.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It is a bit funny though that Edixa SLRs are commonly derided but were generally sold with what are now some of the most desirable or hardest to find lenses out there.

They were the first West German SLR's with a focal plane shutter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is at the shop and should be ready by the weekend. I've got a roll in an Edixa waiting for its return. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to pick up the lens on monday when it was supposed to be ready - and the shop was closed early. Sad
I called and left a message saying I would be back the next day. Showed up and the shop was closed early. Sad
Called again, and left a message again saying I would be there at a specific time (well before the shop closes) - I arrive and guess what? The shop is closed and the business next door tells me the guy left early again. Rolling Eyes
This time I did not leave a message but taped a note to the door saying that I would be there again - tomorrow - at the same time to pick up the lens.

Let's see how they mess this up this time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Travegon 35mm f/2.8 is a fantastic lens, I use it alot for group pictures because of it`s great corner sharpness! Very Happy