Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your Projects and Latest Acquisitions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Your Projects and Latest Acquisitions Reply with quote

OK, we already have a thread on bargains, but this is different.
Sometimes we find something that we intend to use in a project and it is or isn't bargain priced.
Similarly a lens comes our way that we will use, and while it isn't a bargain, it is our latest acquisition.
If this thread was going at the time, I would have included an RB67 lens and my home made adapter project.
Sometimes, it will be simply a lens that we have longed for and finally found - so our latest acquisition.
Anyhoo, I will get us started.
I recently acquired a Toyo View camera with Schneider lens and have been looking to get it into action.
My latest acquisition for this project is a roll film back for the Toyo.
Here 'tis
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice sliding and roll film back back for your Toyo! You'll need a mirror, too, to make a perfect tool out of it.
If you want a home-made one for free, only the postage cost, PM me.

This week I've finally found a diaphragm unit matching (very tight, with a lot of lathe work, but still matching) my 100mm f/1.6 Visionar. It is the diafragm from a big and old LF Industar-51 lens. I can now give my Visionar a diaphragm and a helicoid. It is going to have Leica R mount so that I can use it with my Speed Booster and make it a lovely 70mm f/1.15 lens. That will be my project for the next weeks.

As for lenses, I found this week a very nice and quite unusual Hermagis Petzval. It is a Som Hermagis with the FL of 85mm and it is unusual because it has a larger diameter (52.5 mm) than usually Hermagis Cinema lenses have, it covers 6x9 cm, is more luminous and IT IS COATED (single coated). I have never seen, read or heard of coated Hermagis lenses before! Quite a find, IMO. It proves that Hermagis brand was used by Som till late after WWII.

EDIT:
I've only now seen that you live in Australia and shipping could be quite expensive Sad

Last edited by dan_ on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Dan, great find!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand,

Nice rotating back yours, the 120 film magazine has to be cleaned very well between loads, any atom of dust will be attracted to the film surface, so...

Dan,

The Hermagis coated is also new to me, never heard about it, yours its a Petzval type? Is it a cine lens? Do you plan to use it with a DSLR (being the Leica-R mount could be a R-N or a Canon, Nex, etc.

If you have any picture made with this lens please post it.

In some weeks I'll have also something to show in the thread.
The news are some recent acquisitions, and some really nice gifts:
Got a pair of Schneider Symmar-S 5.6/180mm lens cell - have to find a Sinar DB #1 lens board to use it.
A Schneider 8/90 Super Angulon for Landscape and Architecture in 4x5,
A SInar Copal behind the lens shutter (old style, near mint)
And this lens list given as a gift from a forum member:

4X Agfa/Staeble Ultragon 135, 150, 210, 240mm
Wray Rapid Rectilinear from 1890s
Dallmeyer Wide Angle Anastigmat 4.5/127mm

All being a process lens or barrel, will have to make some lens boards to fit the 4x5 SInar F2.
I plan to use these lenses with the Sinar Copal shutter.

None of the list above are here but it's on the way, the wait is making me suffer,

Best,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:

The Hermagis coated is also new to me, never heard about it, yours its a Petzval type? Is it a cine lens? Do you plan to use it with a DSLR (being the Leica-R mount could be a R-N or a Canon, Nex, etc.

If you have any picture made with this lens please post it.

Yes Renato, It is a cine projection lens with a classical Petzval design. I've only received it 2 days days ago and didn't have time to test it properly. I've just played with it a little at home, tape-mounted on my NEX. IMO it's very promising, as far.
I haven't yet decided if I'll adapt it to my film 6x9 camera, Pentax 645 or digital. I need further tests to decide.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently wanted again to build some lens from parts, with a couple of aims I have since... about 2 years, the age of my twins (that eat milk and time Smile ).
One project is: portrait lens. Another one, maybe more crucial, is a pancake lens for my Nex. Very few days ago I found a 90mm, 42.5 mm diameter planoconvex lens that helped me ( due to measures) restart the work on #1: http://forum.mflenses.com/90mm-f-2-2-from-plano-convex-lens-t68344.html#1410151
Now I'm more motivated for the pancake. I have a lens explanted from an old compact camera that I tested time ago but never embedded in a usable mount. Not as easy as the 90mm, but my brain is waking up Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
I recently wanted again to build some lens from parts, with a couple of aims I have since... about 2 years, the age of my twins (that eat milk and time Smile ).
One project is: portrait lens. Another one, maybe more crucial, is a pancake lens for my Nex. Very few days ago I found a 90mm, 42.5 mm diameter planoconvex lens that helped me ( due to measures) restart the work on #1: http://forum.flenses.com/90mm-f-2-2-from-plano-convex-lens-t68344.html#1410151
Now I'm more motivated for the pancake. I have a lens explanted from an old compact camera that I tested time ago but never embedded in a usable mount. Not as easy as the 90mm, but my brain is waking up Smile

There's a regular seller at the local camera fair that sells a few compact camera lenses mounted on 4/3 or NEX C Mount adapters, and they are very compact lenses.[/u]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
I have a lens explanted from an old compact camera that I tested time ago but never embedded in a usable mount. Not as easy as the 90mm, but my brain is waking up Smile

I've made a few from broken cameras with great success. I'll round them up and perhaps make a new topic. keep watch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this TTH Cooke anastigmat series IV 8 inch/f5,6

it has very long throw, specially ofr my NEX. it need very long tubes LOL, I need to put it in a long zoom lens.
and also there's visionar 154/1,9 lay around. not converted yet.
Dan can you give me detail explanation about helicoid & diaphragm for visionar? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, let's see, I already posted about the X-Fujinon 28/1.9 I bought, which is just great, I've since bought a 55/3.5 X-Fujinon to go with it.
Then a Helios 22, and a Canon 50/1.2 LTM.

Next up:
I'll be looking at a Leitz Photar 50/2.8 on Saturday.
Still looking for a clean CZJ Biotar 58/2 Exakta(preset).
And I want an 85 to go with the 2 Fuji's above, but it looks like they only made a soft focus 85, so I think I'll have to get a 100mm, and maybe the 19mm.

Oh, I also have a nice Fuji 50/2 L LTM in the mail to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this:

Zeiss SUper Ikonta 533/16 B (later version) and a roll of black and white 120 film.
It's in great condition and am trying to figure out how to use it.... Bit nervous as I suspect there are loads of little gotchas. For example I heard that the spindle size of modern film rolls is different from back in the day, so my shots may overlap...

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three new lenses find their way to me Wink

Canon RF 1.2/50mm from 1957

the classical KMZ Orion 15 6.0/28mm

and the Meopta Meostigmat 1.0/70mm in Henrys Velvet Helicoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy and Phil: glad to see examples, thanks. I also tested a disposable camera lens but again I never went over a cardboard-based structure... Need some suggestions Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
Lloydy and Phil: glad to see examples, thanks. I also tested a disposable camera lens but again I never went over a cardboard-based structure... Need some suggestions Smile

I'll take some pix of mine tomorrow. I used a disposable camera lens for a trial and mounted it in the top of a bottle cap, I used the neck of the bottle (painted black) as a focusing helical to see if it was worth while. No.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn...you're cheap Phil. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just made an offer on and won an older 105/2.8 preset Takumar lens.Not cheap but I am now concentrating my lens buying efforts on certain types of lenses.This lens is supposedly compact,I won't know until it gets here...but that is my current goal to downsize the lenses that I am buying.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to refocus my collection on Zeiss glass. Incoming are Flek 35/2.4, Pancolar 50/1.8 and 80/1.8. I found the two first ones for cheap but couldn't find the 80/1.8 at a low price... I hesitated a few days and decided to buy one anyway ! It should be here on monday, I can't wait. This thing seems to have a lot of character.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top! The Pancolar 1.8/80mm ist a great lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Dan can you give me detail explanation about helicoid & diaphragm for visionar? Thanks

Suat, it is a work in progress and I've opened a new topic in the DIY section about it:
http://forum.mflenses.com/forcing-the-visionar-100mm-f-1-6-to-accept-a-diaphragm-t68374.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest acquisitions:

Vivitar 2.8/135 Close Focusing

Vivitar Series 1 4.5/90-180mm Flat Field Zoom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a Soligor 28-70/2.8-4 MF Zoom, and the good Canon 35-105/3.5 FD... because my Canon copy have had developed funghi. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Hmm, let's see, I already posted about the X-Fujinon 28/1.9 I bought, which is just great, I've since bought a 55/3.5 X-Fujinon to go with it.
Then a Helios 22, and a Canon 50/1.2 LTM.

Next up:
I'll be looking at a Leitz Photar 50/2.8 on Saturday.
Still looking for a clean CZJ Biotar 58/2 Exakta(preset).
And I want an 85 to go with the 2 Fuji's above, but it looks like they only made a soft focus 85, so I think I'll have to get a 100mm, and maybe the 19mm.

Oh, I also have a nice Fuji 50/2 L LTM in the mail to me.

I did buy the Leitz Photar.
And an S-M-C 50/4 macro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great finds there fellas.
Good on you Mo - the 105 is not easy to find. Look forward to some piccies.
Here is my latest.
Yes, I know, not your usual fare and who would want one.............
but it was cheap and I already have an adapter so ........
Just waiting for it to arrive.
OH