Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A couple of moon shot lenses compared updated 3 oct
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: A couple of moon shot lenses compared updated 3 oct Reply with quote

I like to try my hand at photographing the moon but I had a real chance to try out a lens recently bought off Lloydy and one that I have had for some time.

No lenses have been to this standard - in my hands. let the photos speak

The Contenders: Canon Zoom lens FD 100-300 f5.6
SigmaDG 70-300 f4-5.6 (in manual mode)

Both at f11 and 300mm on my Sony A6000. I took several shots with each and this is the best of both, no PP apart from cropping the image

The Canon

The Sigma

Not an exhaustive test by any means, but I've seen a few 300's come and go as none have been up to the standard of the Sigma. The Canon is no exception but its the best of the rest.

oh yeah, the Sigma had a no-name UV filter stuck on the front.

Last edited by philslizzy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the shot with the FD is lacking sharpness and detail (maybe not reaching proper infinity focus??) compared with the sigma one, which by the way is not a bad picture at all!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that sigma in nikon mount and sold it, because it didn't get any use when I switched to sony, but I remember it as very good, especially considering the price.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Sigma better too. I have the same Sigma lens, it was one of the first AF lenses I ever bought and I think I took my first moon shots with it on a Sony Alpha. It's an early model of that lens, but I've always had a fond place in my heart for it.

I also got one of my first shots with a nice OOF background with that lens, a pic of a rose with water droplets on it using the macro at 300mm mode. It's nothing real special now, but at the time I can tell you I was thrilled.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Sigma on both of my Sonys with an apertured adapter with no problem, it is easy to focus in manual and is light weight. The A6000 has zero shutter shake compared to the NEX5 and is better for this type of shot

The Canon lens focuses to infinity no problem but its hard to nail the focus. I have used (all 300's) a Tamron Adaptamatic 300, a Soligor, Prinzflex and another who's name I forgot (I foisted it upon Lloydy) none of which compare to the Sigma. For only a hundred quid new. I'm extremely happy with it and even if I get rid of the Nikon, the lens will stay.

A full frame of one of these shots

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the Tair 3PhS

I'll have to do a side by side with the Sigma!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Now the Tair 3PhS
I'll have to do a side by side with the Sigma!!

Yes, but you'll have to shoot both the same day (night) to really compare them. Smile
At first sighy, the Taïr seems better. Can't wait to see the battle results.

I did such a comparison but with Olympus Pen E-p2 to have the x2 factor.
I compared a Canon EF 70-200 F4 L IS USM at 200mm + kenko extender x1.4 with a mirror Tamron SP 500 F8 + SP 01F doubler and this SP 500 F8 alone.
That made 560mm Canon+kenko / 2000mm Tamron+doubler / 1000mm Tamron.

http://forum.mflenses.com/moon-shots-with-different-combos-tamron-sp-500-f8-t64913,highlight,%2Bmoon.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they must be done same night, I shot the last one on the day I got the Tair, a rare occasion this week of a clear night. Its easier to photograph the moon from the side of the flat as I can poke the lens through the kitchen window, this shot was taken from the front of the building through the gap in a fence in a communal area. I will use all three next time.

I love the focusing on the Tair 3, once its set, its hard to unfocus when you are handling the lens, very easy to do on the Canon and it only needs a nudge on the Sigma as there is no resistance.

I'll post another set of pics soon.