Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moon shots with different combos Tamron SP 500 F8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Moon shots with different combos Tamron SP 500 F8 Reply with quote

Hello,

I did some moon shots in december and tried 3 different combos on the Olympus Pen E-P2.
I chose the oly m4/3 format to gain in range in comparison with the 5D MkII.

I mounted the Canon EF 70-200 F4L IS USM + Kenko extender x1.4, which makes at 200mm an FF equivalent 560mm.
I also mounted the Mirror lens Tamron SP 500 F8 (55B) + Tamron SP 01F doubler, FF equivalent to 2000mm.
And I used the Tamron SP 500 F8 without doubler, equivalent to 1000mm.

Shooting conditions : the lens was blocked on car Windows.
The Pen E-P2 has stabilisation.
The IS stabilisation on the Canon doesn't work on the Olympus.
The JPG photos were developed in Canon's software Digital Photo Professional. They could be improved more with Lightroom.

Here are the combos, the full size results and then cropped :

1/ Pen E-P2 + Canon EF 70-200 F4 L IS USM + Kenko extender x1.4. ISO 400, 1/200s.

Image full size

cropped

2/ Pen E-P2 + Tamron SP 500 F8 + Tamron SP 01F doubler. ISO 640, 1/200s.

Image fullsize

cropped

3/Pen E-P2 + Tamron SP 500 F8 without doubler. ISO 400, 1/160s.
Image full size

cropped

Conclusion :
The Tamron SP doubler degrades the image.
The Tamron SP 500 F8 gives a quite good result.
The Canon EF 70-200 F4 L IS USM + Kenko x1.4 gives also a quit good result, even better than the Tamron SP500 when cropped, but not suitable for large prints.

Last edited by Olivier on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:23 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, when using the Canon EF zoom with your EOS-M43 adapter, can you only use the lens at f4?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Olivier, when using the Canon EF zoom with your EOS-M43 adapter, can you only use the lens at f4?

Yes Edgar, only F4.
With the extender x1.4, that makes f5.6.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice comparision Olivier,My favorite image is the Tamron with out the doubler .The Canon is not bad either ,it is a nice looking lens, not that that means much in this test.

Which lens was the hardest to focus with?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
A nice comparision Olivier,My favorite image is the Tamron with out the doubler .The Canon is not bad either ,it is a nice looking lens, not that that means much in this test.

Which lens was the hardest to focus with?

The Tamron without doubler is less contrasty and maybe more pleasant to the eye.
I cropped again the Canon's picture and reloaded it to have approx the same size as the Tamron's picture.
That changes the look and I find the Canon more clear, neat and precise.

To answer your question, I would say that both Tamron without doubler and Canon are easy to focus because their focusing rings are very smooth (you know what I mean as you have the Tamron Wink ).
With the doubler, that's difficult because any mm on the focusing ring changes the focusing point and it is darker (equivalent to 2000mm F16...).

To be on focus, the Olympus Pen E-P2 has a magnifying screen you can set to x7 or x10. It helps a lot, and I use an EVF wich is very good too, instead of aiming with the back screen. I need my eye to look in a viewfinder and I find it gives me more stability, wich is needed in such shots. I have to mention that the magnifying screen was not so helpful with the 500+doubler : too shaky Smile

Last edited by Olivier on Wed May 21, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
It's funny, even with the Canon's crop image being the same size and does appear sharper. To my eye the the Tamron crop has a smoother "look" across the moons surface (perhaps the softer image works better than than the sharp image? ) . I do like the Tamrons smooth focusing grip Very Happy but I wish i had the Canon lens to play with and a Canon camera. Laughing

The Olympus Pen sounds like a great little camera, and it did a good job managing these lenses.(I acknowledge the photographer did a great job as well focusing Cool )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 10, 2016 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bernahrdas.

I was surprised by the quality of the Canon + Kenko x1.4.
It's impressive when you think that it is much more cropped than the Tamron.

Moïra, I understand you like more the Tamron softness. It's more artistic and suits your mood quite well, our downunder cherished lady. Very Happy