Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 70-150mm 3.8/ Light fast lenses for travelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Kiron 70-150mm 3.8/ Light fast lenses for travelling Reply with quote

Hey, this is my first post in this forum, and I'd like to say hello Smile

My question is: what is the weight of a Kiron or Vivitar 70-150mm?

I have the 28mm 2.0 in MD mount and simply love it, so I thought I could buy it for travelling...

It sells foor about 20-60 Euros at my place

Last edited by kilono on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 70-150mm f/4 Nikon mount: 485g
Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 1-touch Nikon mount: 435g

Depends on the mount, the weight may differ slightly.

I quite like mine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vivitar wth OM mount. I was disappointed. It is weak at 3.8 and I did not like the coulours due to a lack of nuances.
Tested on A7.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must weigh mine copy, but I have Kiron 70-150mm/4 version with matched 2x converter in PK mount. I think it's splendid lens with great colours and sharpness on par with Vivitar Series 1 70-210.
I took it on the vacation to the mountains for my Pentax ME Super and results were great. It's lightweight telephoto zoom so it didn't broke my neck and along with Vivitar Close Focus 28mm/2.8 it was splendid combination for travelling.

I agree that while wide open on long end it's a little soft, but stop it one click (which is between f/4 and f/5.6) and it sharpens up nicely.
Here you could find a few photos taken with it:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tatra-mountains-poland-pentax-me-super-fuji-superia-200-t67691.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/tatra-mountains-poland-pentax-me-super-fuji-superia-400-t67363.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/tatra-mountains-poland-pentax-me-super-ilford-xp2-400-t67719.html

If you're interested I could post a few taken on Canon 600d when I got back from work.

I forgot to add, that I bought my copy for £6 or £8 with shipping and a little bit of fungus, which was 25 minutes job to clean off.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a film camera I briefly had the Kiron (stupidly took it apart for a few specks of fungus and couldn't put it back together)...and still have the 2 touch Vivitar and both are very good (for zooms), the Vivitar is good for close ups also and does come with a matching 2 Xs converter. But rarely use any lense wide open so can't comment of WO performance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for the weight info Smile Relatively light but rather heavy for travelling though...

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm not used to getting so many responses.

I think I will eventually buy one, it only costs me 30 Euros or so anyway.

Can anyone recommend another lightweight tele lens?

My setup would be a light fast ultrawide (maybe a Samyang 14mm or a Tamron 17-35, any recommendations?), my Kiron 28mm 2.0 and that tele lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilono wrote:
Can anyone recommend another lightweight tele lens?

As a Fujinon lover you should try the EBC X-Fujinon 100mm 2.8. Great lens.

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAaaaaahhh very nice suggestion!

I even found an offering here in Germany...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really light weight, I recommend you the Minolta MD 135mm f3.5. It is the last version with five elements and with a 49mm filter thread. The weight is about 260g !
it is very sharp and has good contrast. It needs sometimes some CA correction which is not unusual but easy.

May I ask you which camera do you use ? It can change the recommendation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion Smile

However this is a litte to slow for a fixed focal length for me. I think it will be going to be the 70-150, it was the lightest I found.

I own an A7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On A7 i prefer the Zuiko 75/150 f4 . This lens is more refine and sharper. Except at 150mm it is good at from f4 so it can it can be used for depth of field effects. It is heavier and longer than the Vivtar but still compact enough for me.
On a Aps-c camera you could have tried the Tokina SD II 70/210 which is incredibly compact and light.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
On A7 i prefer the Zuiko 75/150 f4 . This lens is more refine and sharper. Except at 150mm it is good at from f4 so it can it can be used for depth of field effects. It is heavier and longer than the Vivtar but still compact enough for me.
On a Aps-c camera you could have tried the Tokina SD II 70/210 which is incredibly compact and light.

I agree with the compact size of the Tokina SD 70-210. It is also light - but that is because it is not as fast as the Vivitar (I have the two ring version Vivitar by Kiron which is constant f3.8 )
The Tokina is f 4-5.6 so has much less glass mass in its construction.
Gives good images though.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

I think I have 6 or 7 different 75-150s. In addition to the Kiron, the Olympus is very nice and so is the Yashica ML (also f4). I have the Tokina as well, and while it's decent, informally it doesn't seem to my eye to be as sharp as the Oly/Yash I just mentioned. I have 2 Vivitar versions which I think are made by Kiron but haven't used them more than for test shots.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your suggestions, the Tokina 70-210 sounds interesting and the size is impressive, but does anybody of you know the weight of this lens?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilono wrote:
Thanks again for your suggestions, the Tokina 70-210 sounds interesting and the size is impressive, but does anybody of you know the weight of this lens?

420g in FD mount

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thank you Smile