Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The new Russar+
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: The new Russar+ Reply with quote

The Russar is comming back! Very Happy

http://microsites.lomography.com/russar-lens/

Data sheet:
http://microsites.lomography.com/russar-lens/images/technical-data-russar.pdf

I am surprised that it can be used on crop cameras as well, this means they must have modified the lens slightly to make it fit?!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see how much they want for it.

No Contax/Kiev version. Sad

It doesn't have a large rear section like a J-12/Biogon so it should fit fine. The postwar Oberkochen Biogon 2.8/35 fits the NEX fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The new Russar+ Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is for 24x36mm sensors (44mm image circle), so it covers "full format" and crop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It doesn't have a large rear section like a J-12/Biogon so it should fit fine. The postwar Oberkochen Biogon 2.8/35 fits the NEX fine.

650 USD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

650usd... ouch..

Surely one would just go buy a ziess 20 f4?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
650usd... ouch..

Surely one would just go buy a ziess 20 f4?

Indeed, it's overpriced, like all Lomography products.

For 650usd I could probably find an original Contax Zeiss 21mm Biogon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting for sure, but who will be the buyers? I don't think that digital Leica owners will buy that lens; are there enough NEX users to make this profitable?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The orginal Russar don`t fit my OM-D, rear part is to wide. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they (lomography) even don't know about it. They just ordered KMZ to re-make it, then think about the price, and that'ts all they do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Damn, that's a shame. Have you tried it on a NEX? The larger sensor might mean a bit more clearance.

The rear projection certainly looks quite a bit smaller than a J-12:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they (lomography) even don't know about it. They just ordered KMZ to re-make it, then think about the price, and that'ts all they do.

Then it will be embarrassing to have this advertised on their pages Laughing
I am pretty sure the old design doesn`t fit NEX either. J-12 is deeper but not much wider.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, a fantastic lens it is. Doesn't look like they "fixed" the issue Lars had mentioned,
so it will see only limited use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ridiculously overpriced non-copy of an old design that multicoloured fools will use for selfies and over photoshopped images.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be utter foolishness to use the Russar+ on a crop sensor camera. A lens like this only makes sense on a full frame camera. However, the Russar+ cannot be used with Nikon and Canon DSLRs. That leaves what? Only Sony A7 and M Leicas. But on the Sony A7 the image quality in the corners is bad (softness plus vignetting), so in the end only a fanatic-by-Russian-lenses owner of a Leica M would be interested in buying a Russar+.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
It would be utter foolishness to use the Russar+ on a crop sensor camera. A lens like this only makes sense on a full frame camera. However, the Russar+ cannot be used with Nikon and Canon DSLRs. That leaves what? Only Sony A7 and M Leicas. But on the Sony A7 the image quality in the corners is bad (softness plus vignetting), so in the end only a fanatic-by-Russian-lenses owner of a Leica M would be interested in buying a Russar+.

Nonsense.

I use the Biogon 2.8/35 on my NEX-3 and it's fantastic.

What if I want a tiny ultrawide? Then the Russar would suit me fine. The other ultrawides I have are many times bigger and heavier - Konica Hexanon 4/21, Tokina 3.5/17, Sigma 3.5-4.5/21-35, Tokina 3.5-4.5/20-35, all are monsters compared to the Russar.

I also have several Feds and Zorkis, the Russar would be fantastic on those. Fed 2 with Russar would make a wonderful pocketable walkaround camera. I love ultrawides but the widest compact camera I have is 28m.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a wonderfull lens on m43 and APS-C if they redesign the rear end to fit inside the square above the sensor. The lens is so compact and nice. You want have any problems with color shift and smearing on a crop camera.

I did a test on A7R and it is problematic, but remember that a lot of this is the sensor fault and not the lens. There is no color shift on the A7S.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Another ridiculously overpriced non-copy of an old design that multicoloured fools will use for selfies and over photoshopped images.

Haha - "multicoloured fools". They most probably don't have a Leica. Very Happy Still no idea, who will use these lenses appart from a few mf lens fans. Maybe to shoot on film, but is there any rangefinder in lomography's line?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are gonna restart production of Feds or Zorkis?

I bet they are very pricey if they do however.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a fool would buy a $650 ultra wide lens (for FF) to use on an APS-C or M43 camera. It would be like a restaurant bought a Ferrari to deliver pizzas.

A super wide angle lens requires a huge technical effort to be designed/built. But on a crop sensor camera a 20mm became a pedestrian 32mm or 40mm equivalent lens. Who uses such a lens on a crop format camera is in some way disrespecting the people who worked hard to make that lens a reality.

Who for whatever reason owns an ultra wide angle lens for FF should consider buying a FF camera body to use it as it should be used.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion for those who think of using an ultra wide lens for FF on a NEX camera: buy a Sony SEL16F28 E 16mm F2.8 Pancake lens. I believe it costs about $100 or a little more second hand.

Compared to an adapted ultra wide angle lens for FF, you will have a smaller, lighter, faster, wider, better, cheaper lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Only a fool would buy a $650 ultra wide lens (for FF) to use on an APS-C or M43 camera. It would be like a restaurant bought a Ferrari to deliver pizzas.

A super wide angle lens requires a huge technical effort to be designed/built. But on a crop sensor camera a 20mm became a pedestrian 32mm or 40mm equivalent lens. Who uses such a lens on a crop format camera is in some way disrespecting the people who worked hard to make that lens a reality.

Who for whatever reason owns an ultra wide angle lens for FF should consider buying a FF camera body to use it as it should be used.

Don't call people fools, not everyone has the same requirements or tastes.

Maybe you're rich and can afford a FF cam, but most of us can't.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
A suggestion for those who think of using an ultra wide lens for FF on a NEX camera: buy a Sony SEL16F28 E 16mm F2.8 Pancake lens. I believe it costs about $100 or a little more second hand.

Compared to an adapted ultra wide angle lens for FF, you will have a smaller, lighter, faster, wider, better, cheaper lens.

Had it, sold it, it's not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would keep mine because I am pretty sure there will be more FF cameras with short register distance to come for a cheaper price and with better sensors during the next years Wink

For now, it is the Teddybear lens Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no idea why someone should prefer this lens to say, Peleng fisheye lens?