Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach 28/4 on film (scanned with Epson v700)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach 28/4 on film (scanned with Epson v700) Reply with quote

As Attila and Orio asked how the Epson v700 scanner behaves with 35mm film here's some examples of scanned 35mm Tmax100 (shot with an old Praktica FX2 and the Schneider 28/4)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not ask, but it's nice to see your samples anyway Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I did not ask, but it's nice to see your samples anyway Wink

True. Attila asked about 35mm scans and you wondered about the grain: it's far more visible in 35mm TMax 100 than in Provia 100, both scanned at 3200 dpi.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it's normal, Provia is slide film. To my experience, slide film always has less grain than negative colour or B&W. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Well, I think it's normal, Provia is slide film. To my experience, slide film always has less grain than negative colour or B&W. I don't know why.

Adding to the problem you can't use digital ICE on B&W negatives, you have to "clean" them manually in photoshop or other image program.

All in all I'm satisfied by the results, pure image quality is worse than a 8-10 MP digital camera but the image feeling and latitude of real B&W film is something I couldn't ever achieve in post processing. Shot #4 would be almost impossible to get with digital (it was very dark there).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes B&W film is completely different from a greyscale conversion.

If one is serious about B&W should use film and develop and print himself. This is what I want to do, I want to learn how to develop and want to print myself with enlarger and chemical paper. I feel I am missing a lot of the experience by not being able to do those things myself. I compare the B&Ws that I see in the galleries made by people who do all the process themselves, and compare with my B&W which is developed by shop and scanned, and the difference is so huge that it makes me sad. Sad

Scanning of course it's important because it's the way we share our work with others today, or for people like you who do a lot of digital darkroom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alessandro!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I compare the B&Ws that I see in the galleries made by people who do all the process themselves, and compare with my B&W which is developed by shop and scanned, and the difference is so huge that it makes me sad. Sad

Scanning of course it's important because it's the way we share our work with others today, or for people like you who do a lot of digital darkroom.

LOL, I guess you're thinking I'm into post processing a lot more that I'm really into it Laughing

As I already said I'm an extremist about final results, if I had to resort to daguerrotipes to get the image I want I would do it Wink

The funny thing is that at the very end the look of my shots are very similar regardless of the medium (for example I love high contrasts).

I thought myself to develop B&W by myself but I'd need a room for it because using my small bathroom without a table etc is a pain in the ***. At the very end I had to find somewhere to stop Very Happy

@Attila

If you wish I could send to you the original full size tiff (or jpeg) so you can evaluate the scan quality properly. Tiff would be around 35MB, Jpg I guess around 6-10MB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

I thought myself to develop B&W by myself but I'd need a room for it because using my small bathroom without a table etc is a pain in the ***.

I also will have the same problem but according to Peter, you don't need to do the process in the bathroom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to drive the RV off the road too far, but I really like 1 and 4! Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Alessandro:

today in TG Parma (local news) they talked about a book on the osterie of Parma. They said they closed the last one a few months ago. No one is remaining today. Sadly.
I am going out to buy the book.
I think the last hope to find some of the really old ones, is down in the "Bassa", near the river Po.