Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma XQ 18mm F3.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Sigma XQ 18mm F3.2 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this lens and what it may be worth? Can't find any information about it. Thought it was a fisheye but it is rectilinear. I adapted it on a MFT camera to check sharpness. Soft wide open, but surprisingly sharp when stopped down.

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this lens. Show us some example footage! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The rectilinear w. a. are very interesting lenses.

Post pics, very nice to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find any information at all about this lens. From my understanding the XQ series Sigmas were made in the mid to late 70's. I found one guy saying he had the lens for Pentax and said it was sharp but that was several years ago, but other than that, cant find anything at all.

Anyway, these were taken with the lens on my Olympus PL5. 2X crop factor makes this a 36mm standard:

@F3.2

@F5.6

@F8

@F5.6

@F3.2

@F5.6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of those "isn't it a small world" moments ... here's a photo of my backyard in Australia with the exact same lens.

And I don't mean the same model lens, I mean the same lens. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this one but do have the 3.5/18 YS. I like it a lot! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma XQ 18mm F3.2 Reply with quote

verbatimium wrote:
Anyone know anything about this lens and what it may be worth?

150$ in very nice condition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma XQ 18mm F3.2 Reply with quote

verbatimium wrote:
Anyone know anything about this lens and what it may be worth? Can't find any information about it. Thought it was a fisheye but it is rectilinear. I adapted it on a MFT camera to check sharpness. Soft wide open, but surprisingly sharp when stopped down.

That's a beautiful and highly sought after lens. Congrats!!

The XQ series is their best back at that time. It preceded Sigma's current EX series of lenses.

Pancolart wrote:
verbatimium wrote:
Anyone know anything about this lens and what it may be worth?

150$ in very nice condition.

Shocked

At least!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma XQ 18mm F3.2 Reply with quote

verbatimium wrote:

I hope the information below will be useful to you:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this lens was also marketed as Spiratone. Spiratone also later remarketed the Tokina 17 3.5 as an 18mm. I am pretty sure I have this one as Spiratone 18 3.2 and I paid $99 for it. It doesn't produce good results on the A7, lots of flare and vignetting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Spiratone I do remember like tokina 17mm or little worst ,but nod bad.
http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-18mm-f3-5-pluracoat-t55960,highlight,%2Bspiratone.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had Spiratone I do remember like tokina 17mm or little worst ,but nod bad.
http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-18mm-f3-5-pluracoat-t55960,highlight,%2Bspiratone.html

There was a Spiratone 18 3.5 which was really Tokina 17 3.5. As you mention, Atilla, not a bad lens. Spiratone 18 3.2 was the lens this thread is about, made by Sigma. Almost all reviews indicate soft wide open. My copy is in Konica mount (edit: it is YS mount with Konica adapter), which may have something to do with the bad vignetting on FF.

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-18mm-rectilinear-three-versions-t32670.html shows the Spiratone lens made by Tokina next to the made by Sigma versions.

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-ys-13-2-f18mm-t32822,highlight,%2Bspiratone.html shows a Spiratone lens that looks identical to XQ Sigma. I wonder if coatings are the same? The Spiratone/Sigma lenses have a yellowish coating I haven't seen on any other lenses, maybe on binoculars.

I didn't check the Tokina when I had it; the Spiratones could flare spectacular:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="visualopsins"

I didn't check the Tokina when I had it; the Spiratones could flare spectacular:

[/quote]

Yeah, that's been my experience. I have a version of the Tokina Rmc and the same lens (3.5) in Vivitar and the flare isn't nearly as bad as the 3.2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Yeah, that's been my experience. I have a version of the Tokina Rmc and the same lens (3.5) in Vivitar and the flare isn't nearly as bad as the 3.2.