Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spiratone 17mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Spiratone 17mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Did not know Spiratone has one in this range

Click here to see on Ebay Confused

Tokina in disguised?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be 100% sure from that one pic but it sure does look like the Tokina 3.5/17 which is a great lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Can't be 100% sure from that one pic but it sure does look like the Tokina 3.5/17 which is a great lens.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a Tokina!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this lens for about a year.

It is the exact same lens as the Spiratone 18mm.

I read that the measured focal length is around 17.5mm which is why they could choose to brand it as a 17mm or a 18mm.

I've had moments where I didn't like this lens because I had not yet learned to quit trying to use it indoors in low light conditions and expect good results. Laughing Definitely much better suited for outside.

Worth noting that this is the softest lens I have ever seen at f/3.5.

It also produces interesting rainbow flares shooting into the light:

Slow, soft, crazy flares, doesn't perform as good as a cheap modern 18-55 kit lens for many situations. Terrible for low-light because it's much better stopped down.

Believe it or not, lately I've actually been using this lens with a large element Neewer 0.43x super wide angle attachment on it and have been enjoying it. Razz

The corners are blurred a bit in that configuration which can be interesting for effect at times, but mainly I've been shooting video with it using a 2.35:1 cinescope crop so the corners get chopped off anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I had the rmc tokina for a while and wouldnt call it great. it was sharp and contrasty stopped down but not wide open. and even on apsc it had visible barrel distortion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At f/8 and below, I can't tell the difference between it and my Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AF-D.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I had the rmc tokina for a while and wouldnt call it great. it was sharp and contrasty stopped down but not wide open. and even on apsc it had visible barrel distortion.

My copy is adequately sharp wide open, but it's probably a good copy. Of course it has barrel distortion, you don't seriously expect a 17mm lens to not have some?