Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elmarit-R 90mm + Speed Booster - some quick tests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Elmarit-R 90mm + Speed Booster - some quick tests Reply with quote

I have just received my new toy – the Leica R to sony NEX Speed Booster. It was not cheap, ~500$ with shipping and taxes, and my legitimate question is : was it worth?; what it does well and what it doesn't?; what would it be useful for?
As I couldn't find any samples on the Internet of the 90mm Elmarit +SB combination I’ll test it first with this lens.

My first impressions, before actually trying it, are mixed.
The good ones:
- quick shipping (FEDEX)
- well packed
- reduced customs and VAT taxes (~ 60Euros) due to the reduced invoice value
- it looks nice and robust
Not so good: it was not adjusted for infinity and I had to spent 20 minutes to adjust it properly.

My expectations.
After reading the “White paper” pdf I realized that the image created by SB+myFFlens combination, in spite of having the same angle of view, won’t match the characteristics of the same lens used on FF ( one stop faster, slightly increased contrast, possibly a little sharper in the center and softer in the corners, some added spherical aberrations, etc).
That is why I see no point in testing the combination against the FF image created by the lens without SB.
The SB+myFFlens is, in fact, a new lens and the tests should reveal how good or bad this new lens is. Due to what I read in the “White paper” I expect it to be a nice portrait, close up and, probably, all around lens but I don’t expect it to be so good at landscapes. Let’s see…

After more then a week of stormy weather yesterday the sun showed again behind the clouds and I took my NEX-7 with the 90mm Elmatit+SB combination on a walk on the beach for some quick tests.

In PP wasn't applied any sharpening but in-camera sharpness was set to +1 .

Closest distance - f/2.8

And 100% detail:

1m-3m sharpness f/5.6 – f/8

and 100% detail:

and 100% details:

and 100% detail:

Bokeh - f/2.8-f/4

and 100% detail:

and 100% detail:

and 100% detail:

and 100% detail:

Distant landscape (camera on tripod)
The whole image :

And 100% details

f/2.8

f/5.6

f/8

f/16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the speed booster with well with your Elmarit 90 on NEX-7. Smile The center looks sharp even on full open. Thia will be a good reference to those who are considering one.

From all the reviews I have read, those focal reducer have little impact in edge performance on macro and telephoto lens than wide angle lens. However, it will also magnify the vignetting problem on telephoto lens especially when you focus at close distance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems really good, but the fact is: I've payed my elmarit 90 100$~ less than the adapter, is it worth?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Seems really good, but the fact is: I've payed my elmarit 90 100$~ less than the adapter, is it worth?

I have been thinking about a speed booster for a while, my conclusions:
You trade some extremely little bits of quality and $500 for a wider fov and 1 stop of light.
The point is: how much do you need them? For fov you could easily get a good 60mm macro for something less than $500.
Another thing to consider is how many lenses you can use the speed booster with.
If you have many Leica R's, or plan to buy them, it could be a better deal. If you have only one maybe it's a bit expensive.

Back on topic, the results look really great to me. Even if a short tele isn't the most stressing condition for the speed booster, the results at infinity look better than I would expect. Probably the great quality of the lens itself - regardless of the speed booster - has something to do with them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
From all the reviews I have read, those focal reducer have little impact in edge performance on macro and telephoto lens than wide angle lens.

I have read the same and probably this is a fact, but I can't understand why.
I am not an optician but we all know that, regardless of the focal length, all lenses in a specific mount have the same register distance.
This means that the light-rays cone leaving the back element of the lens has, more or less, the same angle for wide lenses as it has for small telephotos and therefore SB's impact in the edge performance wouldn't be much different for all of them.
Long telephotos are a different story.

Rick1779 wrote:

You are right - I don't think it is worth 500$ for using it with a single lens, regardless of the lens price.

Aanything wrote:
If you have many Leica R's, or plan to buy them, it could be a better deal.

At this time I only have the 90mm Elmarit and a 50mm Summicron but I plan to buy more Leica R's.
Another reason for buying the SB was the fact that I own a lot of medium & large format lenses of very nice quality in the 75mm-150mm range that, with a LR-T2 adapter, can be quite easily made to match the SB.
As it is now their focal length is uncomfortably long for an APS-C camera but with the focal length reduced with a 0.7 factor and one stop faster it would be fan to play with them again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided that whatever brings joy and fun to a person is good for him/her,
my personal take is that I don't really see much advantage compared to
the lot of money needed to buy it.

The x0.7 angle of view is negligible for all lenses except wides
(if I want to shoot at 63mm, I use a natural 50 or 55 mm lens,
not a 90mm lens messed up with non native optics).

The only real use, in my opinion, may be for photojournalists
or street shooters who work in the night and can actually take
advantage from a f/1.0 speed obtained from a f/1.4 lens, even
if that means to sacrifice the quality of optical performance.

But that is really a marginal use, I for instance shoot street often
and I do that in hyperfocal style. Using a f/1.0 lens means the
need to focus every time in the viewfinder and this is a luxury
that street shooters can not really afford.

In general, also, I see little point in spending a lot of money for
Leica lenses in order to couple them with chinese optics of dubious
quality.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...my personal take is that I don't really see much advantage compared to
the lot of money needed to buy it.

You are right, that's why it took me so long to decide buying it. Finally my curiosity was stronger Wink .
Was it wort buying it or not?
I have mixed fillings about that and I can't answer myself that question right now. In time I'll see how useful it will prove to be.

Orio wrote:
quality.

I don't frankly think that someone could come to the conclusion that is worth buying Leica lenses just to use them with a focal reducer.
I plan to buy more Leica lenses because I really like the way they render, regardless of owning or not a SB.
The SB is only a bonus.

Last edited by dan_ on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

quality.

I think this would be a truer statement for the Lens Turbo than the Speed Booster, right? I couldn't find any information at Metabones' website mentioning where the Speed Booster is made, but it is designed in the USA by Caldwell Photographic (actually a collaborative effort between Brian Caldwell of Caldwell Photographic and Wilfred Bittner of WB Design). Probably built and assembled in China, however.

I just finished reading the white paper at Metabones on the Speed Booster. You can view it here:

http://www.metabones.com/images/metabones/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf

It is a quite informative read, and now that I've read it, I can at least understand a bit better why they are charging as much for it as they are. Simply a lot of work went into developing the Speed Booster's design so that it would be optimized in the best possible manner for use with crop sensor mirrorless system cameras.

My only wish is that Metabones would offer it in more popular mount styles. I mean, Alpa? Come on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They charge it because they can. They charge about $100 for simple LTM to m43 adapters that can be had for $5. My understanding is that they are a Chinese operation that tries to operate to higher quality standard and charge what reputable companies such as Cosina/Voigtlaender would charge. This also explains the choice of mounts: they are trying to cater to "money is no object" and professional crowd, not to budget minded.

From what I've seen, Speed Booster has a small IQ edge compared to Lens Turbo. However, Lens Turbo is $150 and is available in FD mount, which automatically makes it also useable with m42, and Nikon lenses, which makes it really a KO victory for Lens Turbo in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:

I don't frankly think that someone could come to the conclusion that is worth buying Leica lenses just to use them with a focal reducer.
I plan to buy more Leica lenses because I really like the way they render, regardless of owning or not a SB.
The SB is only a bonus.

Sorry, I expressed myself poorly.
What I meant is that if someone is ready to spend big money on Leica lenses, it's because he values the image quality
very much. Therefore, it does not make much sense to lower their image quality it by use of optical additionals. To buy
more affordable lenses in the first place would make more sense - to me at least.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cardwell posted a couple of simple resolution tests over on mu-43.com which were very interesting. The Nikon 35mm f1.8G out performed the native Panasonic 25mm f1.4. The Nikon 105 f2.5 ais got extremely close to the Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens.

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52603

I have the Speed Booster for the Nikon mount and its now permanently attached to my m43 body.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
Brian Cardwell posted a couple of simple resolution tests over on mu-43.com which were very interesting.

Very interesting, indeed. It seems that, on m4/3 at least, the loss in quality is completely negligible.
I'm very satisfied with SB's IQ on NEX too. The infinity test is actually better then I expected - the lens, I think, is perfectly usable for landscapes beginning with f/5.6-f/8. That would be f/4-f/5.6 in terms of the lens it becomes and I don't see why on earth I would expect to take a sharp all-over landscape at a wider aperture with a 63mm lens anyway.
My mixed feelings come exclusively from its price. If it cost 250$ it was a a perfect deal Smile.
But too many times in the past I have chosen the cheaper alternative and regretted it soon after. The result is a closet full of medium-to-good quality lenses I hardly use.
On the other hand, when I have chosen the best lens I could regardless of its high price after a while my price-related concerns faded away and only the joy of using it remains.

Orio wrote:
To buy more affordable lenses in the first place would make more sense - to me at least.

My opinion is different on this matter, but the expression of different points of view is what makes this forum interesting.
I presume, even it is not always the case, that the price and the quality are directly proportional.
One can't express in percentage the loss in IQ induced by SB to a lens but let's suppose it's 5%.
A high quality lens + SB is a new lens of 95% high quality. That is still high quality.
A fair quality lens + SB is a new 95% fair quality lens.
If I have the choice I prefer to use a 95% high quality lens to a 95% fair quality one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the aspects of a focal reducer that I have read more than once is because it is allowing the lens to gather more light than is normal for the given lens to gather, which is in part what enables the increased angle of view, this additional gathered light not only amounts to having an additional stop in lens speed but that, in the centers of the images at least, often an increase in resolution is seen when compared to the lens with no adapter. To me this is an attractive by-product of using a focal reducer.