Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Autumn colour seen by Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Autumn colour seen by Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 Reply with quote

Autumn colour seen by Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 on 5dm2, at f1.4

For best viewing experience, click to enlarge.

Got this beauty from Tony, a year ago - again, thank you Tony Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Planar really holds image sharpness quite well at f/1.4, doesn't it? Nice and smooth oval bokeh, too.

After examining your photos, I decided to browse through the "zeiss planar 85mm" listings on eBay to see what I could find, since I would like to get another fast 85mm one day. It appears that there are maybe four or more versions? Can I assume that they are all of the same formula, i.e., a Planar = a Planar = a Planar? There was the CZ Planar for Contax/Yashica made in Germany and the same flavor but made in Japan, then there's a chrome nose ZE and a ZF and even a ZF.2, and even an ultra rare one for Contarex that somebody wants BIG BUX for. Looks to me that the ones made for the Contax/Yashica, especially those made in Japan, might be the best deals. Actually not bad, when you think about it. Cheaper than what my Canon 85/1.2 Aspherical sells for. But I'm not converting that lens -- ever. Which is why I'm looking at other great fast 85s. Is it safe to assume that IQ is basically the same no matter which flavor of CZ 85/1.4 you're using?

How is yours with respect to chromatic aberration? I can't detect any in your photos.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is c/y mount so it should be among cheaper ones.
Don't have the lens with me now to confirm japan or german made, will update later.

Regarding CA,
It does have slightly purple fringle, especially out of focus highlight, but not much, and if you are aware, it can be avoided relatively easy.
No visible purple fringle in-focus area. I also removed in post in one of these photos (the wheel, right-lower edge, one or two pixels wide) - it's only visible when i zoom in 1:1. In most cases, I know in advance if the lens produces CA or not.

The contrast is excelent at f1.4 in-focus area.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, don't like to poor water into your wine, but I would rate the contrast rather low for that lens and I'm used to much more "pop" from it. Are you sure it is OK, or is it simply just a bit overexposed? Did you use a proper sunshade btw.?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comments Klaus.

I use tele hood, center weight measurement. It's cloud cast day with bright soft light. I don't think it is over exp. Center weight on 5dm2 is fine, with perhaps +/- <0.3 ev. The 'pop' may depend on subject too.
And you are correct about the contrast. This lens is different when step down to f2.8/f4.

I use firefox browser, and these photos look bad. Better to view by clicking on it.

what about these, still f1.4:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better, more what I expect from a Planar 85mm. I was wondering why the red vine picture #4 was rather flat, as a Planar has lots of contrast and such strong colors are quite well reproduced ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoots!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you are starting to be a one of the big spenders Wink

I like it Hoan, the two first pictures give me a "wild west" feeling, must be something with the colors, wooden floors and the wheel Very Happy
Lovely kids too!

I never owned a Planar, but I will probably run into one or more of them later (I hope)!!
Happy shooting, and don't forget to share more! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I am enjoying viewing yours too.
Not sure what you mean about 'big spenders' but everyone needs a hobby.
The lens and 5dm2 is big if that's what you mean Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the good results, enjoy your lens, it is a thoroughbred!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio.
The lens is very easy to use, the results are very nice. Just lovely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful camera/lens combination hoan. i liked the pictures of your son.
tony