Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An afternoon in Lunigiana, part 1: Sarzana
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: An afternoon in Lunigiana, part 1: Sarzana Reply with quote

Last August, on my way back from Pisa, I and Monica spent the afternoon going quickly through some villages in Lunigiana.
Lunigiana is an ancient land located at the crossing of three regions (Toscana, Liguria, Emilia).
It took it's name from the Etruscan/Roman town of Luni, today disappeared.
It's also called by inhabitants "the Lands of the Moon" (Luna = Moon).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunigiana

In Lunigiana there are some villages and towns which maintained their original character and some very ancient buildings and artworks,
in spite of the fact that they were theater of hard battles and heavy bombing during WWII.
These artworks are mostly unknown not only to the most part of foreign tourists, which usually only go to the bigger cities, but also to quite many Italians.
I made only a quick tour, so you can see here only a few quick images, but I intend to get back there again and take more.

This first part is about the town of Sarzana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarzana)
I only made a short walk (45 minutes) in the centre of town, did miss the fortress and walls:

#1 - Biogon 2/35 ZM

#2 - Biogon 2/35 ZM

#3 - Biogon 2/35 ZM

#4 - Biogon 2/35 ZM

#5 - Biogon 2/35 ZM

#6 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM
St.Andrew's parish church - 10th century after Christ

#7 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM
This and all the following images: Cathedral of St.Mary , A.D. 1204

#8 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM

#9 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM

#10 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM

#11 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM

#12 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM

#13 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM

#14 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM

#15 - Biogon 2.8/25 ZM
Crocefisso di Mastro Guglielmo, it's the most ancient Italian painted wood of crucified Christ (A.D. 1138)

Camera was M9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable town, beautiful cathedral and great pictures!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Remarkable town, beautiful cathedral and great pictures!

+1 , I really enjoy looking at your pictures, the colors are so natural, it's simply amazing Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb series, but I'm running out of adjectives.
And those biogons seem quite good Wink

Sarzana is a place I really love: my parents have a holiday house in Versilia, and I always find the time for a quick visit to lunigiana when I go there, maybe for lunch, as the local traditional food is great and very particular, especially from late August when mushrooms begin to arrive from the surrounding mountains.
It always amazes me how the landscape continuously changes in that 100 km that stand between pianura Padana and the sea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
So Aanything you do like Testaroli... Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks guys.
So Aanything you do like Testaroli... Smile

Sure, I love them, both with pesto or mushrooms.
But also Panigacci, fried mushrooms, the wild herbs pie, "bastard lasagna" made with chestnuts flour...

Ok, I'm hungry now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: An afternoon in Lunigiana, part 1: Sarzana Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

#3 - Biogon 2/35 ZM

Stunning!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Orio!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great place, superb biogon captures !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful , as usually !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus, poilu, Teo.
I also shortly visited Pontremoli in the same day, a fascinating old village with two rivers and a number of ancient bridges:
http://forum.mflenses.com/an-afternoon-in-lunigiana-part-3-pontremoli-t61587.html