Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Direct sun resistant 50ish lens - looking for advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Direct sun resistant 50ish lens - looking for advice Reply with quote

Hi,

I know there is a lot of tests of 50ish lens, however there is a lot of flower pictures and not scenario I need.

What I need:
Prime lens in 35-55mm range that I could use in strong sun outdoor and that allows me to put sun in the frame composition - so it does not have to be f1.2 Wink, probably around f2 lenses would do the trick without emptying my pocket.
Looking for lens that is contrasty, sharp and does not flare much in above conditions.

For know I have:
- Rikenon 55/1.4 - great and sharp wide open, but weak in strong sunlight, especially in direct sun light it flares easily,
- Helioses 58/2 - 44M-4 and 44M-6 - love them, but a little bit of direct light and it is disaster in contrast department,
- Mirs 1B 37/2.8 - newer and older - I am trying to convince myself it is usable lens, but I fail, seriously I do not know is something wrong with these lenses or me. For know I am trying to think I am the problem,
- Pentax-A 50/2 - should be lens for the job, but my copy is somehow damaged, really soft and not so contrasty,
- Porst Color Reflex 50/1.7 - to be honest I forgot I have it, probably the most sun resistant lens I have - I must try it in more extreme condition. It is not the sharpest one in the drawer though,
- EBC Fujinon 55/1.8 - did not thested this lens in proper harsh sunlight, maybe you have any thoughts about it.

What I think of:
- SMC Takumar 55/1.8
- SMC Takumar 55/2
- Pentax-M 50/1.7
- Pentax-M 50/2

Whole topic popped out because I need tested lens for my holiday trip and lenses I own and tested are not good enought for summer sun conditions and those I did not tested - Porst and Fujinon - they may be good, but have no time to test them.

What do you think, what lens in up to 40Euro should do the trick and could be general use lens in strong sun and sun in the frame compositions? Question Or maybe you own Porst or Fujinon and use them in strong light with success? Please share.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera are you going to use the lens on?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since your budget excludes very recent lenses I'd think that your idea of Takumar / Pentax lenses is spot on!
before buying one of these do try out your Fujinon, it should do well too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. Canon 600d and prefer M42 or Pentax-k mount as those adaptors I have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, smc coating is better Than ebc in, when it comes to pure flare resistance: i tested the two 1.8/55 (the most recent version of both) and the tak was slightly better when pointed straight into summer Sun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably slower lenses with less glass to air surfaces will have less flare? Maybe a late model tessar with modern coating.
I photograph into the sun a lot, but I always try to have the sun itself obscured by something like a street sign or a tree branch etc. I'll have to look through my photos to see if I have any with the sun in the frame.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, please note that the 55/2 and 55/1.8 SMC Takumars are essentially the same lens; the f/2 version has an internal fixed diaphragm in front of the real diaphragm to make the widest aperture f/2 instead of f/1.8 (the lens itself is f/1.8 if it were not for the fixed diaphragm).

And +1 for the Super-Multi-Coated and SMC lenses; those are least prone to flare. The difference between SMC and non-SMC is clear:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about the one that did this photo. Straight out of the camera, no PP and no exposure compensation in camera

I think its pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Direct sun resistant 50ish lens - looking for advice Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Hi,

I know there is a lot of tests of 50ish lens, however there is a lot of flower pictures and not scenario I need.

What I need:
Prime lens in 35-55mm range that I could use in strong sun outdoor and that allows me to put sun in the frame composition - so it does not have to be f1.2 Wink, probably around f2 lenses would do the trick without emptying my pocket.
Looking for lens that is contrasty, sharp and does not flare much in above conditions.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 is cheap by Zeiss standards, and has very good coatings.

I don't think I have a sample with the sun in frame, but here's one with harsh sun reflections from the water, contrast remains high.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well planar is to expensive for me now.
I'll have find a little time to test this Fujinon and start looking for smc takumars if it fails.

Thank you all for your advices.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, you get the best flare resistance with SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7, SMC Takumar 55/1.8 or 55/2 (or SMC Pentax 55/1.8 or 55/2, which are essentially the same lens). While Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 might be a tad better in this respect, its rather expensive at the moment, so your best bet would be one of those SMC lenses.

Oh, and avoid SMC Pentax-M and SMC Pentax-A 50/2 lenses! (50mm f/2 is a cheap, poor performing lens; while Pentax 55mm f/1.8 and f/2 are excellent lenses).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax-M 2/50 isn't a poor performing lens at all, it's no less good than the 1.7 imho.

Honestly, shooting with the sun in the frame, you are unlikely to find any lens that will do that without flare, the Pentax SMC coating won't do it, neither will the Fuji EBC, I've tried with both as I shoot sunsets often.

The smaller the entrance pupil, the less flare from the sun, is what I have found, which kind of rules out most of the more modern lenses. A 1950s Ross Xpres 4/100 single coated is perhaps the only lens I have ever found that can be shot with the sun in frame and not flare. I attribute this to the small entrance pupil, simple lens design (tessar) and good internal light baffling.

So what has modern multi-coatings, a small entrance pupil and a simple design...

Maybe the T* Tessar 2.8/45?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Pentax-M 50/2 - as I said - my copy is probably damaged as it is really soft and blurry despite stoping down. When I saw some photos in the web shot with this lens they look a lot better.

Well maybe tessar is the answer, I must look around for one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unscrewed the rear module from my Super-Tak 50/1.4 to cure the yellowing, placed under a UV Lamp. The SMC Tak 50/1.4 also uses Thorium glass. You will need to find one that has been cured of yellowing before using for color images.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
In my experience, smc coating is better Than ebc in, when it comes to pure flare resistance: i tested the two 1.8/55 (the most recent version of both) and the tak was slightly better when pointed straight into summer Sun.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way Super-Taks flare, while S-M-C's flare much less, what shocked me was that I found the coatings to be better than the coatings on my SMC M & SMC A lenses.
OM lenses that are multicoated handle sun in frame with ease.
This one is a 21/3.5, flare resistance is great, contrast was maintained.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Zeiss Planar 1.8/50 mm in Rollei QBM. Also directly available from Rollei (Rollei Planar, imo same quality). I have found it to better in terms of resolution wide open compared to the Zeiss T* 1.7/50 in C/Y. Also, it looked quite flare resistant to me.
The Rollei Planar should cost you between 20 and 40€. Look on ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tested my 50mm f/1.4 Super-Muilti-Coated Takumar at f/5.6. It certainly does flare!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The much later (and also very expensive) SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2 (also at f/5.6) seems to perform much better than the SMC Takumar:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Well planar is to expensive for me now.
I'll have find a little time to test this Fujinon and start looking for smc takumars if it fails.

Thank you all for your advices.

Zeiss lenses handle flare pretty well. Good choice, if you want to shoot sunsets. Here is a boring one, just as an example with Planar 50mm F1.4 ZE. Aperture was F11.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The much later (and also very expensive) SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2 (also at f/5.6) seems to perform much better than the SMC Takumar:

[/url]

Try M 50 1.7 Wink much better than A 50 1.2 and much cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mm interesting question by the OP and have many 40-58mm lenses and have never tested them facing the sun when it is high in the sky and can only add:- do not get the old Minolta 58mm f1.4 PF Rokkor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the OM 50/.4 MC is one of the best flare resistant 50mm lenses I've ever used, it also is great at night.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the Auto Rikenon 55 2.8, I made a testshot with no postprocessing with the sun just outside the frame here

http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-sears-55mm-f-2-8-cosina-t59048.html

but use live view or you will go blind.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might totally reconsider the subject and ask about best pol. filter. Then you could emphasize on other lens characteristics.