Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 Reply with quote

Has anybody got a Minolta MD 50mm f1.7? If so, I was wondering if you could post some sample shots taken using that lens so I have something to compare to?
I have a panny lumix dmc g3 so shots with a similar spec camera would be great but not essential.
Flower, portrait or landscape, I don't mind.
Once I'm confident with the lens I'll post some shots myself.
Thanks and appreciation in advance!
Thanks,
Brian.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Always check WolverineX's threads when looking for samples from some lenses, you can find them in the lenses-sticky section.
There's a huge amount of lenses tested, it's a great resource.
Here's the thread on the minolta 1.7/50:
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-78-minolta-md-50mm-1-7-t42881.html

I don't have samples to post, but I remember this lens as one of the sharpest 50's I tried.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 Reply with quote

Brian J Moody wrote:
Has anybody got a Minolta MD 50mm f1.7? If so, I was wondering if you could post some sample shots taken using that lens so I have something to compare to?
I have a panny lumix dmc g3 so shots with a similar spec camera would be great but not essential.
Flower, portrait or landscape, I don't mind.
Once I'm confident with the lens I'll post some shots myself.
Thanks and appreciation in advance!
Thanks,
Brian.

Well no need to post shots unless its something specific like wide open...as 'm sure everyone would agree it's a very good lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only comment regarding the MD 50/1.7 is it exists in at least two iterations, the earlier MD Rokkor-X and the later MD Rokkor. The earlier has more metal than the later and weighs more. I don't know if the optical formulas are different, however.

Also, the later one has a switch of sorts that can be moved to lock the lens's aperture ring in place for Programmed auto exposure. I don't know if the earlier one has the switch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there are two MD 50/1,7.

The MD ROKKOR (X) and the MD only.

I had both, and think they are the same lens, with the last having more contrast cos more strong coated.

Both with more contrast and sharpness than the PF version.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MD 1.7/50 by Minolta and don't use it as much as I should. It is sharp and I have not noticed any CA on the shots taken with it. I think it has been neglected a bit since I got the Rokkor PF 1.8/55, which isn't better but I like the idea of using a 50s lens. I would post some of my film shots but it will probably kill the thread. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the X denotes that the lens is a North American market lens, and it is exactly the same as non X models.
Minolta used a letter system to identify elements and groups early on.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David%20Lloyd/Desktop/Minolta%20Cameras/Minolta%20MF%20FAQ%20%20Lenses.htm

Lots of useful Minolta Rokkor information at that link

In the book "The Minolta Way" I found this -

Which also seems to indicate that the X is not a designation of anything optical or coating.

Last edited by Lloydy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is a question of the last "plain MD" version.

About versions we can see here - 5 versions.
And here - about Minolta SR generations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I'd read it somewhere else --

Quote:
In the American continent the new MC Rokkor line was called MC Rokkor-X, although this was only engraved on the lenses sold in the American market. The exact same lenses was sold in other markets but they lacked the -X designation.

http://minolta.rokkor.de/minoltalenses.htm

Another good link to Rokkor and Minolta info'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have an MC-X 50/1.7 that I use as a loupe and I've owned MD-X's. But I currently own a plain MD 50mm, and it is definitely a more modern, more plasticky version that the old "X" lenses I own and have owned.

I think that what we have here is obviously at least two different types of plain MD lenses: the early one that was made from metal and glass for the non-US market and the later one that was made from plastic, metal, and glass for all markets. Does that make sense? Dunno why Minolta felt compelled to add the -X for the US market because all it does is make folks like me think that there were two different versions from that same time period.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor-X naming was used to identify reduced price US-market lens imported into japanese market
in which Minolta wanted to control the MSRP of their products before 1980s. This was the story I've
heard. It is still relatively speaking a common practice among some makers even today.
But the end? of 90s in japan, MSRP system was banned in order to protect consumers in many areas.

The basic prices of camera and lenses today are almost even with north american market, biggest
difference are local tax (state/provincial value added tax) and national/federal tax. If you subtract
import duty (if there) and shipping cost from your price in US market, japanese people pay slightly
higher price maybe because of complex logistic and market structures in japan.

Last edited by koji on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine starts with 92 so any idea what that would make it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MD 1.7/50 last version introduced 1981. Should have f22 min aperture. Mine has a number beginning 80 and is of the last type.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's f22 and has the aperture lock switch but the serial number starts 92.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
The MD 1.7/50 last version introduced 1981. Should have f22 min aperture. Mine has a number beginning 80 and is of the last type.

Well they must have made 1000's after as mine starts at 98.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian J Moody wrote:
Mine starts with 92 so any idea what that would make it?

Is that the serial number Brian? If it is then I don't know what it signifies - other than being a 'serial number'.

The chart I posted earlier refers to the letters found after the name on the lens ring, such as "MC-W.Rokkor - PF 1:1.7 f=50mm" The "PF" telling us that it has 5 groups and 6 elements.
It appears that some manufacturers used the serial number as a code to impart information, certainly Soligor and Vivitar did that, but I don't know about Minolta?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50/2 is likely to have a different s/n, isn't it? I don't have an MD 50/1.7, just the 50/2. It's the later version, 7-digit s/n, starting with 10.