Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40 85mm lens on Canon 5D Mark II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Helios-40 85mm lens on Canon 5D Mark II Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sorry about this stupid question, but i really don't understand one thing, and thought you might help me here?

I just bought a Helios 40, and under the descrition it says this " WILL FIT: All M39 screw-mount 35mm MF (Manual Focus) SLR film cameras: Asahi Pentax, Bessaflex, Chinon, Contax (VEB/DDR), Cosina, Edixa, Exa, Exakta (Japan), Fujica, Icarex, Mamiya, Olympus, Pentacon, Petri, Praktica, Praktiflex, Porst, Regula, Revueflex, Ricoh, Soligor, Vivitar, Voigtlnder, Yashica, Zenit.
Other SLR and DSLR cameras with the use of an adapter: Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Yashica.. "

My question to you is, do i need to bye a M39? I have a M42, but i guess that isn't enough? I use a Canon 5D Mark II.

And if I have to bye a M39, do you then know were i can buy one?

As i said, sorry about dumb question, but this isn't my strong side Embarassed

Kind regards

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't stupid questions Smile

Helios 40 is M39, yes, but you can buy a M39 to M42 adapter for far less than 5$ on the bay (like this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M39-Lens-to-M42-screw-mount-39mm-to-42mm-camera-step-down-adapter-Ring-/181124183367?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a2bd7b547 ). So, no problem to use your lens on your 5D, you just need this adapter (and the M42 to EOS, of course)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

tammyb wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry about this stupid question, but i really don't understand one thing, and thought you might help me here?

I just bought a Helios 40, and under the descrition it says this " WILL FIT: All M39 screw-mount 35mm MF (Manual Focus) SLR film cameras: Asahi Pentax, Bessaflex, Chinon, Contax (VEB/DDR), Cosina, Edixa, Exa, Exakta (Japan), Fujica, Icarex, Mamiya, Olympus, Pentacon, Petri, Praktica, Praktiflex, Porst, Regula, Revueflex, Ricoh, Soligor, Vivitar, Voigtlnder, Yashica, Zenit.
Other SLR and DSLR cameras with the use of an adapter: Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Yashica.. "

My question to you is, do i need to bye a M39? I have a M42, but i guess that isn't enough? I use a Canon 5D Mark II.

Kind regards

Tammy

there are 2 types of m39 lenses. slr and rangefinder. you need different adapters for each type

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
There isn't stupid questions Smile

Helios 40 is M39, yes, but you can buy a M39 to M42 adapter for far less than 5$ on the bay (like this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M39-Lens-to-M42-screw-mount-39mm-to-42mm-camera-step-down-adapter-Ring-/181124183367?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a2bd7b547 ). So, no problem to use your lens on your 5D, you just need this adapter (and the M42 to EOS, of course)

Thanks a lot Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
tammyb wrote:
Hi,

Kind regards

Tammy

there are 2 types of m39 lenses. slr and rangefinder. you need different adapters for each type

Thank you! The one that BurstMox wrote about, i hope that one is the right then? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

tammyb wrote:
Thank you! The one that BurstMox wrote about, i hope that one is the right then? Smile

for slr lenses yes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
tammyb wrote:

for slr lenses yes

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a stupid question at all, if we are to learn we must ask. There is a lot of expert knowlege and opinion here, use it. We all do.

I hope you got your question answered and (as a bonus) learned that there were two types of lenses using the M39 thread.

Now a stupid question would be along the lines of:
"I washed my white shirts with my red football socks and the shirts have turned pink. What happened?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

At least, that's how the old saying goes Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, usualy people say M39 when it's for SLR, and L39 or LTM when it's 39mm for RF...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did change title to search engine friendly, 'stupid question' wasn't informative enough Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zenit M39 SLR mount normally has a register distance of 45.2 mm. This is shorter than that (45.5 mm) of the M42 mount. Mounting a Helios 40, with the normal M39 register, on an M42 camera will lead to a loss of infinity. Calculation (thin lens equation) gives a maximum reach of ~ 25 m. IIRC someone on this forum reported an estimated reach near that value. Of course for some applications it might not matter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
As far as I know, usualy people say M39 when it's for SLR, and L39 or LTM when it's 39mm for RF...

I think that people used to do that. Increasingly they seem to use M39 for both. It's unfortunate since the LTM and M39(SLR) mounts have different thread pitches.