Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40 85mm lens on Canon 5D Mark II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Helios-40 85mm lens on Canon 5D Mark II Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sorry about this stupid question, but i really don't understand one thing, and thought you might help me here?

I just bought a Helios 40, and under the descrition it says this " WILL FIT: All M39 screw-mount 35mm MF (Manual Focus) SLR film cameras: Asahi Pentax, Bessaflex, Chinon, Contax (VEB/DDR), Cosina, Edixa, Exa, Exakta (Japan), Fujica, Icarex, Mamiya, Olympus, Pentacon, Petri, Praktica, Praktiflex, Porst, Regula, Revueflex, Ricoh, Soligor, Vivitar, Voigtländer, Yashica, Zenit.
Other SLR and DSLR cameras with the use of an adapter: Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Yashica.. "

My question to you is, do i need to bye a M39? I have a M42, but i guess that isn't enough? I use a Canon 5D Mark II.

And if I have to bye a M39, do you then know were i can buy one?

As i said, sorry about dumb question, but this isn't my strong side Embarassed

Kind regards

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't stupid questions Smile

Helios 40 is M39, yes, but you can buy a M39 to M42 adapter for far less than 5$ on the bay (like this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M39-Lens-to-M42-screw-mount-39mm-to-42mm-camera-step-down-adapter-Ring-/181124183367?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a2bd7b547 ). So, no problem to use your lens on your 5D, you just need this adapter (and the M42 to EOS, of course)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

tammyb wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry about this stupid question, but i really don't understand one thing, and thought you might help me here?

I just bought a Helios 40, and under the descrition it says this " WILL FIT: All M39 screw-mount 35mm MF (Manual Focus) SLR film cameras: Asahi Pentax, Bessaflex, Chinon, Contax (VEB/DDR), Cosina, Edixa, Exa, Exakta (Japan), Fujica, Icarex, Mamiya, Olympus, Pentacon, Petri, Praktica, Praktiflex, Porst, Regula, Revueflex, Ricoh, Soligor, Vivitar, Voigtländer, Yashica, Zenit.
Other SLR and DSLR cameras with the use of an adapter: Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Yashica.. "

My question to you is, do i need to bye a M39? I have a M42, but i guess that isn't enough? I use a Canon 5D Mark II.

Kind regards

Tammy

there are 2 types of m39 lenses. slr and rangefinder. you need different adapters for each type

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
There isn't stupid questions Smile

Helios 40 is M39, yes, but you can buy a M39 to M42 adapter for far less than 5$ on the bay (like this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M39-Lens-to-M42-screw-mount-39mm-to-42mm-camera-step-down-adapter-Ring-/181124183367?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item2a2bd7b547 ). So, no problem to use your lens on your 5D, you just need this adapter (and the M42 to EOS, of course)

Thanks a lot Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
tammyb wrote:
Hi,

Kind regards

Tammy

there are 2 types of m39 lenses. slr and rangefinder. you need different adapters for each type

Thank you! The one that BurstMox wrote about, i hope that one is the right then? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

tammyb wrote:
Thank you! The one that BurstMox wrote about, i hope that one is the right then? Smile

for slr lenses yes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A stupid question :) Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
tammyb wrote:

for slr lenses yes

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a stupid question at all, if we are to learn we must ask. There is a lot of expert knowlege and opinion here, use it. We all do.

I hope you got your question answered and (as a bonus) learned that there were two types of lenses using the M39 thread.

Now a stupid question would be along the lines of:
"I washed my white shirts with my red football socks and the shirts have turned pink. What happened?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

At least, that's how the old saying goes Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, usualy people say M39 when it's for SLR, and L39 or LTM when it's 39mm for RF...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did change title to search engine friendly, 'stupid question' wasn't informative enough Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zenit M39 SLR mount normally has a register distance of 45.2 mm. This is shorter than that (45.5 mm) of the M42 mount. Mounting a Helios 40, with the normal M39 register, on an M42 camera will lead to a loss of infinity. Calculation (thin lens equation) gives a maximum reach of ~ 25 m. IIRC someone on this forum reported an estimated reach near that value. Of course for some applications it might not matter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
As far as I know, usualy people say M39 when it's for SLR, and L39 or LTM when it's 39mm for RF...

I think that people used to do that. Increasingly they seem to use M39 for both. It's unfortunate since the LTM and M39(SLR) mounts have different thread pitches.