Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Product shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Product shots Reply with quote

Please let me know which one would you choose
(please don't mind the small imperfections etc. which will be cloned out or fixed in Photoshop)

# 1

# 2

# 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 what I like best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 2 more natural. And its obvious it is a clear liquid as opposed to a cream, which it could be in the other shots
. I have been doing product shots too and the problem is shadows. Natural or not, the brochure wants pure white backgrounds. lots of pp!

mine. Taken with Nikon d3200 and 18-55 kit lens. One flash bounced off ceiling.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #3 because it has that "little extra" style, finish...#2 looks like what it is a Nivea product,a true representation of the product.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with mo, prefer #3. #2 has a shadow and a reflection. I think a reflection is a nice touch and can be slightly more pronounced, the shadow though is distracting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments! I found a piece of opaline perspex at the hardware store and I bought it
because I need it to photograph leaves.
Then I thought it could be nice to try it with some translucent object.
After trying it, I can't see any particular advantage over using a traditional set. It eliminates the shadow, but that can be
done simpler with a fill light.
The main light in all 3 shots is a flash with umbrella. There is no fill light.
In #1 and #3 I put a flash under the perspex and oriented it to obtain a light gradient.
In #2 I turned the under flash off, and that is why you see the shadow and the reflection.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I am with mo, prefer #3. #2 has a shadow and a reflection. I think a reflection is a nice touch and can be slightly more pronounced, the shadow though is distracting.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shadow and reflection in #2 makes it look like we see it in our everyday life, making it more natural in #1 and #3 it just "floats" somewhere, making it much more like one of those product shots you can see on big panels on a road, for example. Though less natural and fake, in this case i prefer that look, so #3 for me.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the different lighting, it seems to be two different products (in #1 and #3 on the one hand and #2 on the other).
For a professional product shot (as in advertising) I would consider the shadow to be disturbing, so either #1 or #3, where #3 is a little more "dramatic" than #1.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well #2 for me as the others seem to be floating in mid air.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well #2 for me as the others seem to be floating in mid air.

Yes, no shadow makes it sort of abstract.
Lighting from below has one advantage though. Helps defining the glass shape better.
Without, the glass looks somehow flat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer number 1. Number two has a shadow, as well as a reflection, the latter which I find most distracting. Number 3's background is not as even as number 1's -- there's almost a hard separation there instead of a smooth gradation. So, number 1 because no distracting shadow or reflections and smooth background shading.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I prefer number 1. Number two has a shadow, as well as a reflection, the latter which I find most distracting. Number 3's background is not as even as number 1's -- there's almost a hard separation there instead of a smooth gradation. So, number 1 because no distracting shadow or reflections and smooth background shading.

I too think that gradient in #3 is not so good.
I also think I maybe prefer #1, because of smooth gradient and because there is some shape (dimension) to the bottle.
#2, I actually like the reflection, but the bottle looks too flat for my taste.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the reason why I find the reflection distracting is because it comes across to me as being an artifact, or an unintentional result. If I wanted the reflection, I would emphasize it more, doing whatever would be necessary to bring it more to the fore, and play around some with angles and the doubled image of the original and its reflection. It could end up being quite effective.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks for your comments! I found a piece of opaline perspex at the hardware store and I bought it
because I need it to photograph leaves.
Then I thought it could be nice to try it with some translucent object.
After trying it, I can't see any particular advantage over using a traditional set. It eliminates the shadow, but that can be
done simpler with a fill light.
The main light in all 3 shots is a flash with umbrella. There is no fill light.
In #1 and #3 I put a flash under the perspex and oriented it to obtain a light gradient.
In #2 I turned the under flash off, and that is why you see the shadow and the reflection.

Interesting how the glass looks better in #1 & #3, but the contents look better in #2. I think somewhere in-between might be just right. I find the gradient disturbing, but it does add a sense of depth, making the product more 3D.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for #2