Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do I remove a sticker from a lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: How do I remove a sticker from a lens? Reply with quote

I peeled the outer layer of a sticker from a lens. The paper still sticks to the lens. Soaking it is WD-40 doesn't help. Olive oil doesn't help. Should I try a solvent next, like Acetone or Xylene?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggressive liquids, like alcohol, can damage coating easy... Be carefull.
Try some lens cleaning spray. I know, stickers glue is soft but very sticky... Sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On metal-bodied lenses I haven't had any problems using acetone. Just to be safe, check on a small area first that it doesn't strip the paint. And don't get it over any markings (distance scale, f-numbers, serial, etc) or plastic parts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toluene works very well (on metal with enamel paint, but keep it away from plastics),
as does meths (much safer) -- but if you have any WD40 to hand it too may be effective.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it is a water soluble adhesive?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinquartz wrote:
What if it is a water soluble adhesive?

I never thought of that, I'll try with soap and water before I go any further.

And thank you all for your input!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acetone can be too much. Lighter fuel does the job but is thin and can get in the cracks.

I use paintbrush cleaner. moisten a cotton bud and rub it gently over the sticker. Leave it for a moment and then rub gently with the dry end to remove the gunk. It can cloud styrenes (such as CD cases) but plastic lens barrels are made of polycarbonate so no problem. Metal lens barrels - painted or otherwise are perfectly able to withstand the mild solvent of 'turpentine substitute' or 'white spirit'.

DON'T use paint stripper.

great for removing sellotape or decal glue too. Works on wax crayon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that this is not one of those golden PASSED stickers which come of easily. This was a sticker with someones name and address on it, and it is a pain...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a normal sticker, yep the brush cleaner will be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy special sticker and glue removing fluid, this stuff works very well.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover?gclid=CIfNrOTJiLsCFSkEwwodHzEAWQ&src=gpsol&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!38143200611!p!!g!!sticker%20removal&ef_id=UT4MwgAABFDbk0Gg:20131128225535:s

/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
You can buy special sticker and glue removing fluid, this stuff works very well.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover?gclid=CIfNrOTJiLsCFSkEwwodHzEAWQ&src=gpsol&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!38143200611!p!!g!!sticker%20removal&ef_id=UT4MwgAABFDbk0Gg:20131128225535:s

/

+1

You nailed it. And that fluid is safe, too, for all surfaces.

Here in USA it's called "Goo Gone". I use this stuff all the time. Not sure exactly what it is or how it works. The odor is a little bit of citrus. But, boy oh boy, does it ever dissolve goo!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

Here in USA it's called "Goo Gone". I use this stuff all the time. Not sure exactly what it is or how it works.

According to the MSDS, it contains “Hydrotreated light distillates, d-Limolene, and Tripropyleneglycol methyl ether”. Also, “skin absorption may cause central nervous system depression, liver damage, and kidney damage”, and “harmful or fatal if aspirated into lungs, inhalation may cause … central nervous system depression, convulsions and loss of consciousness”.

(Apparently marketing something under a harmless whimsical name does not make the chemicals any nicer, though to be fair most cleaning products and solvents have similar warnings.)

Last edited by Arkku on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

/

+1

Here in USA it's called "Goo Gone". I use this stuff all the time. Not sure exactly what it is or how it works. The odor is a little bit of citrus. But, boy oh boy, does it ever dissolve goo!!

I have small bottle and its called Solvitan -made by VOCO. (look it up) it's expensive - but brush cleaner is cheaper does the same job but doesn't smell as nice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found this while googling “Goo Gone”, haven't tried obviously since I just came across it, but:
http://www.rosybluhandmade.com/2012/03/05/diy-gunk-remover-easy-recipe-to-remove-sticky-adhesive-residue/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
guardian wrote:

Here in USA it's called "Goo Gone". I use this stuff all the time. Not sure exactly what it is or how it works.

According to the MSDS, it contains “Hydrotreated light distillates, d-Limolene, and Tripropyleneglycol methyl ether”. Also, “skin absorption may cause central nervous system depression, liver damage, and kidney damage”, and “harmful or fatal if aspirated into lungs, inhalation may cause … central nervous system depression, convulsions and loss of consciousness”.

(Apparently marketing something under a harmless whimsical name does not make the chemicals any nicer, though to be fair most cleaning products and solvents have similar warnings.)

Agreed. No problems so far, and I've been using the stuff for a while. Besides, we all die eventually. There are worse fates.

One thing, though: I agree with and take seriously the warning regarding aspiration, on a common sense basis. The bottle does include a sprayer/atomizer. I just spray the stuff onto a cloth (or paper napkin) held a very short distance away from the sprayer, so it is not dispersed into the air. Then I apply with that cloth, or napkin. Final cleanup is with water.

Goo-Gone has helped me clean and save countless items others thoughtlessly plastered with annoying, sticky, residual goo. It works really well.

I guess, for anyone concerned about skin contact, you could wear rubber gloves. I don't bother with that. Just wash up when finished.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ask not how to remove a sticker from lens, ask how to remove lens from a sticker."

Yep, it is Saturday night, just came from sauna and have a glass of Dancing Bull Zinfandel in front of me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will goo gone remove stickers from styrene based acrylics? (like cd cases) Nothing I use will without damaging the plastic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Will goo gone remove stickers from styrene based acrylics? (like cd cases) Nothing I use will without damaging the plastic

Dunno. I think so. But best to try a small spot first.

FWIW, I don't use Goo Gone to remove stickers or labels. I try first to peel off the sticker or label leaving only the nasty residual goo. Then I use the Goo Gone directly on that goo. A tiny amount of Goo Gone goes a really, really long way. My 12 ounce bottle was costly, perhaps circa 5 bucks (cannot recall exactly), but I've used only an ounce or two in four or five years. Looks as if a single bottle will, for me, turn out to be a lifetime supply. Come to think of it, this is even more likely if the Goo Gone itself kills me! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try with little soap and VERY LITTLE water before moving to chemical solvents.
A little damping of some 15 minutes before the actual soap cleaning might help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Try with little soap and VERY LITTLE water before moving to chemical solvents.
A little damping of some 15 minutes before the actual soap cleaning might help.

I have done this and it generally does not work - however it helps considerably this process:

Soaking for about 15 minutes softens the rubbery gunk so dab it dry with a soft towel, then scrape as much as you can off with a fingernail and pick at it. The majority of the gunk will come off leaving only the adhesive residue. Then use a piece of adhesive tape wrapped round your finger to pull the residue off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some stickers I find the best way to get the goo out is to pull it off with… another sticker. My usual procedure is as follows:

1) Pull the sticker off as best I can (restarting from other corners if it tears, scraping with my fingernails, etc), depending on material of sticker and surface it is attached to, it may also help to heat it with a hair dryer while doing this
2a) If there is still a sticky part of the removed sticker intact, I dab the remaining goo with that
2b) If there is not a sticky part remaining of the sticker, or it doesn't stick enough, I dab the remaining goo with the sticky side of a piece of fresh tape (e.g., Gorilla tape or similar strong tape)
3) I try to rub and “roll” any remaining goo off by rubbing the soft part of my finger across it repeatedly
4) Dab some more with sticky tape
5) If none of this works, I turn to chemicals: usually acetone, lighter fluid, alcohol (applied to goo, not myself), or similar, depending on the material from which the goo is to be removed

(Soap and water I have given up on for this use; they never seem to work and will actually make it more difficult to use other methods afterwards.)