Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does anyone here has some experience with new Sigma lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Does anyone here has some experience with new Sigma lenses? Reply with quote

As a subject says, I am wondering if anyone here used some of the new Sigma prime lenses for M4/3.

How is the quality of those lenses?
Your experience with those ones...
Compared to legacy lenses...

Picture samples are always welcomed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 30mm in old rugged version (now discontinued) and the new 19mm in silver finish

I can't compare the two version of each but I can say that aesthetically is much better, optically I think there are no difference and seems they have added a new type testing procedure to ensure a better quality control.

What can I say, i love them both, for that price they have a really nice sharpness and colors
The 19 has a moderate degree of barrel distortion but is pretty normal for such a focal length, and now on is my favourite walk around/street lens

Photo directly from raw
30mm EX DN E

Full size here http://www.telltale.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC2439.jpg

19mm DN E / A

Full size here http://www.telltale.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSC2207.jpg

Feel free to ask me anything, I'll try to answer you Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have legacy lens, but I've tried both the zoom SELP1650 and the SEL1855 and the 16mm too, the two sigma are way better than those, faster, sharper and optically better (the 19 is much better than the 16mm and for me a better focal length).
You don't have the SteadyShot of the two zoom, but you have some stops more

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held old 30mm Sigma for NEX in my hands, but never shot with it. It rattles like hell, the whole focusing group slides up and down when it's unpowered. Shocked For me this was a reason enough to prefer just about any MF 28mm f2.8 to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rattle thing is just normal when lens is detached or attached to the camera and unpowered for both 30 and 19, sigma says it's normal
Very Happy

Sigma says that depends on the "newly developed linear AF motor which moves the lens elements directly without the need for gears or the drive of other mechanical parts"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not normally a fan of sigma old stuff but the 30mm is an amazing lens very sharp at f2.8 and i like everything about it
Samples
http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-30mm-f2-8-af-for-sony-nex-1st-shots-t48466.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I've held old 30mm Sigma for NEX in my hands, but never shot with it. It rattles like hell, the whole focusing group slides up and down when it's unpowered. Shocked For me this was a reason enough to prefer just about any MF 28mm f2.8 to it.

So it's cheap plastic crap. Sad

Why do they have to make lenses so flimsy these days? Doesn't matter how good the optics are, if it's nasty flimsy plastic I don't want one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
fermy wrote:

So it's cheap plastic crap. Sad

Why do they have to make lenses so flimsy these days? Doesn't matter how good the optics are, if it's nasty flimsy plastic I don't want one.

It's cheap, what do you expect? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the last A version are with alluminium finish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to see those lenses next week at local store to check the quality but as long as I know they are made of aluminum (Art Series) and have metal mount too. Pictures here looks very promising and to admit I was looking for an AF lens just to have speed for some action/candid shots as I do not have time for MF.

What is also very convenient is the native Micro Four Thirds or Sony E mount for mirrorless.

I heard that they are rattling when not powered but Sigma also states that this is due to newly developed AF motor which allows movement when is not powered (I read that somewhere on Sigma webpage but do not ask where)... but with 7 years warranty given I think that Sigma did a good test prior releasing them. Laughing

The samples posted here are very good, also in the other thread linked.

The pricing above is from Sigma North America, speak USA but on Sigma Canada they pricing them 219.95 for each lens incl. 60mm Sigma Art lens which is more expensive in US... Shocked

I guess local store will have even more discounted price and if not for sure we can bargain down a bit here... Razz

So far everyone here had Sigma Art 19 and 30mm lens but still looking for Sigma Art 60mm lens reviews and samples! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
the rattle thing is just normal when lens is detached or attached to the camera and unpowered for both 30 and 19, sigma says it's normal

I know Sigma thinks it's normal, I just don't share their opinion Laughing My friend who purchased the lens in the unboxing of which I participated went Shocked as well, when he saw the focusing group freely bouncing up and down inside the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found only one review for 60mm lens, but do not speak Korean Confused

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-60mm-f28-DN-vs-Olympus-60mm-f28-Macro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Rick1779 wrote:

I know Sigma thinks it's normal, I just don't share their opinion Laughing My friend who purchased the lens in the unboxing of which I participated went Shocked as well, when he saw the focusing group freely bouncing up and down inside the lens.

Laughing indeed is a bit weird...

But at least my 30 is 3 months old and the chuckling didn't became a maracas yet Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received the 30 and 19, looking forward to using them this weekend.
Hopefully the Nex 6 will arrive soon. I found a new one at £469, but the shop is waiting for delivery.
Till then I'll have to use the F3.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the older (plasticy) versions of Sigma 30/2.8 and 19/2.8 in Sony E-mount. Only had them for about a month.

As far as I can tell, they are very good. 30mm is a very sharp lens accross the frame, 19mm is almost as sharp. I don't use them much as I mainly shoot portraits and prefer the tele end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used any of their m4/3 lenses, but I do have their new 35mm Art, and it is one of, if not the best lens I have used.