Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 30-80mm f3.5-4.5 macro in a breeze
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Kiron 30-80mm f3.5-4.5 macro in a breeze Reply with quote

I get home from work with the intention of trying out my Kiron 30-80mm f3.5-4.5 that has been sat in the open for about a year to stem the growth of some spidery fungus.

The lens was like this when I got it, and as I have no idea how to take it apart, or the inclination to, it just sat in a bright spot (not direct sunlight) for all that time.

As usual there was a breeze, everything was slowly swaying but this lens needed trying.

All photos below have had their levels auto adjusted and images have been resized in my Serif program.

Here's the lens:

These were all shot at F8 and 30mm macro mode (close focus)

ISO 200, 1/20 sec

ISO 200, 1/25 sec

This Digitalis purpurea 'Camelot White' tried to eat me and my camera as I tried so hard to get a shot, this was taken one handed as I crouched bent over trying to focus up the flower head. I swear it licked its lips.

ISO 200, 1/160 sec (I didn't check the shot as I was in grave danger, so apologies for the items not inside the jaws of this man-eater)

ISO 200, 1/160 sec

A couple of crops from 2 other photos:

F8, ISO 200, 1/640 sec

F8, ISO 200, 1/25sec

The lens certainly has potential (and so do I), so on a day when we don't have a breeze, this lens will get tripod treatment as I am still shaking from my close encounter with that Digitalis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with the lens, or the photographer. Very nice close ups.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy, thank you for your kind words.

I must admit, I am in awe of some of the photographers/photographs on this forum, so I try hard not to post too many out of focus shots.

This Kiron lens seems to be very good for sharpness close up, when we have a still day, I will mount the camera to a tripod and see if I can get some better shots. I will also get some shots using it in 80mm mode. In the 2nd photo of the Digitalis, you can see that the leaves were moving in the breeze due to the ghosting effect.

This lens was FOC due to the fungus from a seller at one of the local carboot sales, I think it was worth every penny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even for out-of-focus shots, there's a thread http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=56471 for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it looks like a very nice zoom. Try it out at 80mm. It might get softer and you may see barrel distortion. Shoot some brick walls to see if the mortar lines are still straight at 80mm. Then do the same at 30mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Up against a brick wall Reply with quote

Here is a shot of a brick wall taken at work this morning.

Cars and vans were in the way, so I had to aim slightly upward and pointing towards the sun.

Levels auto adjusted and resized.

ISO 200, 1/50 sec as the wall was in shadow, lens set at 80mm F8 or 11 (I should have remembered, also forgot to take at 30mm ).

Do I need to stand further back to get barrel distortion, I was about 20ft away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrel distortion happens wherever you stand. Not much evidence of this here.

But honestly, unless you are doing architectural photography you wouldn't notice barrel distortion. I've never had a problem with it. there are photoshop tools to 'correct' it easily enough.

Nice lens and even better photos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Up against a brick wall Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Here is a shot of a brick wall taken at work this morning.

Cars and vans were in the way, so I had to aim slightly upward and pointing towards the sun.

Levels auto adjusted and resized.

ISO 200, 1/50 sec as the wall was in shadow, lens set at 80mm F8 or 11 (I should have remembered, also forgot to take at 30mm ).

Do I need to stand further back to get barrel distortion, I was about 20ft away.

Looks straight.

Try at f3.5. I think I got it wrong - at full zoom should be pin cushion distortion, not barrel distortion. I don't think the zoom length is long enough (that's very good) to affect your zoom. I tested out my Minolta and although limited by Nikon camera and extender, I didn't notice any distortion on my zoom either. Most zooms suffer from distortion and especially so if there is a long focal range, like 28mm - 300mm zoom from Tamron for example. I have been told that those types of zooms should be avoided.