Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best missed focus shots gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Best missed focus shots gallery Reply with quote

It's easy to miss target with manual focus lens. Show your examples of such false attempts that you like anyway. Here some of mine (Jupiter-21M):

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't need to be razor sharp, they convey the movement of the guys and puts the image in it's place - on the street. Those are great images. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the expression of the last one. The blur makes it feel like it was taken so time ago. Well at least to me anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one reason why I think shooting wide open is a bad idea - you end up with a large number of out of focus shots. I don't have any examples to show because I don't keep out of focus shots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
This is one reason why I think shooting wide open is a bad idea - you end up with a large number of out of focus shots. I don't have any examples to show because I don't keep out of focus shots.

But what about that memory that you can't get back? Would you throw away a picture that be valuable just because it's out of focus?

I have a few of very special friends that not very sharp or much in focus, but they hold the special place to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

But what about that memory that you can't get back? Would you throw away a picture that be valuable just because it's out of focus?

I have a few of very special friends that not very sharp or much in focus, but they hold the special place to me.

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Missed focus' in the strict sense is only the first one.
But if you permit I'd love to make a point for out of focus photos in general, the second was a long exposure panning 'trial', the last simply as intended

'Pen-F' Zuiko f1.4/40 on NEX5N

S-M-C Takumar f1.4/50 on Pentax K-x

Takumar f2/58mm on NEX5N

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuuan your first one is just great.

Here are mine, the first one is a successful miss. I wanted the biker on the foreground. The guys were departing and I didn't have time to set my focus, so I just shot and hoped for the best. And I had the second guy in focus Smile

Shot with my Nex-5n and a Revuenon 135/2.8.

This one with a Jupiter 11 135/4. The lighting was surreal at the end of the afternoon, but I missed this one. I still like the ambiance.

Shot with the Flektogon 35/2.4.

Also lucky on this one, I missed the lady but caught some leaves. Shot with Tokina At-x 90/2.5 Macro.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Luckily I haven't missed anything yet, but your point is a good one. I might still have some film shots of friends that are a bit out of focus, but it's quite hard to miss by much at f5.6-f8 which is how I shoot people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed focus isn't necessarily a missed picture.

The ballon shot is absolutely great. Wouldn't be that nice if it was sharp. Sometimes you need a bit of out of focus luck.

Here is a shot of mine that went completely wrong but that I like very much:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this image:

It was discussed here: http://forum.mflenses.com/does-a-misfocused-image-ever-work-t50294.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shot has missed focus because I forgot about the 10sec timer that was set, and the people, they kept walking Very Happy

Panasonic GH2 with Kilfitt 600/5.6

C U,
Rafael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
Kuuan your first one is just great.

thank you very much. she was so lively and it was a lucky shot, taken during an exhibition with white walls, in the background hardly people but one person that was easy to 'stamp out'

That 'pastel painting' effect came out very, very beautifully Rafael, I love that! - this is what I also tried for with my cherry blossoms.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine.. it's easy to missfocus with Kiron 105 macro in closest focus and a flying insect

and a snapshot of a upset girl? with cosmicar 75.. I did it quickly LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Easy Rider Reply with quote

I was taken by surprise as they silently walked right behind me.Turned around hastily and snapped twice before the bird flew off. Also snapped the bird in its flight.It then descended on the tar road to WALK with the group of buffalo's. Me chasing at the rear end of the procession Laughing Good series of out focus snaps.But the excitement was worth it.Very Happy

Shrikant

Panasonic Gh2 with Helios 44M 4

My flickr page :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84069834@N07/

Last edited by shrikant on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony NEX-C3/J8 (2nd pic was done on purpose)

Konica T4/UC Hexanon 80-200 zoom, Fomapan 400, Thornton's 2-bath

Attila's favorite, lol, Vivitar XC-3/CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35, KG200

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting better and better! Some really cool shots, thanks for sharing.

Don't be discouraged by the word "best" in title. It is of course very subjective genre.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy about these theme and also about how it is received! Imo this shows how mature mflenses is or has become.
Imagine, some 3 years ago I had made a thread in another forum called, translated from German, 'out of focus on purpose'. It proved impossible to discuss this interesting field, most ridiculously instead I was forced to defend myself against personal attacks that were meant to hurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
(2nd pic was done on purpose)

I like 2nd pic! I think I understand the purpose, if that was to show how she was lost in her thoughts and absent
from reality, I would say you have really hit the point!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it might be this one:

Yo, wait up! I'm checkin' my prevs. by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

Could be this one, though:

The Pink Curtain by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer my shots to have pop, so I tend to delete those that aren't sharp, although I absolutely understand the merits of shots with an OOF look.

Here's one I shot at a gig last year at f/2, which I front focused. Was going to bin it, but thought I'd put it here instead Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham your 'soft' photo transports, transpires a lot of atmosphere, I'd rather see it on a wall then thinking of it deleted
rawhead's samples are beautiful, I think that 'no focus' can boost being 'atmospheric'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was shot wide open, knowing full well all the kids wouldn`t be in focus at 1.4 on a Supertakumar 50. I love the dreamy quality and looks. I have no idea how I managed to get the background so squinty, I seem to remember they were sitting on a wooden mushroom in the woods and my foot was down a hole.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Graham your 'soft' photo transports, transpires a lot of atmosphere, I'd rather see it on a wall then thinking of it deleted
rawhead's samples are beautiful, I think that 'no focus' can boost being 'atmospheric'

I agree,it is a great shot.