Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei HFT Distagon f4 50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Rollei HFT Distagon f4 50mm Reply with quote

Hi folks

I just picked up one of these for almost nothing, intending to convert it to P6 mount.

Does anyone have any experience of this lens? I find many references to the Zeiss version,of which there are two variants, with he later FLE version (floating element) being better, especially in corner performance.

Is the Rollei optically the same as one of the Zeiss variants? If so, which?

It will be interesting to compare this to my old zebra Flektogon 4/50, the HFT coating should give the Rollei an advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens arrived today, it's like new, front and rear caps included so I'm delighted, cost me 7ukp.

I found the lens diagram:

However I failed to find one for the Flektogon 4/50, does anyone have that diagram? Be nice to compare the designs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to sell it and use the funds to buy an MC Flektogon 4/50. Don't hack the lens.

I've seen it said the Flektogon is better in the center but worse in the corners.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lens arrived today, it's like new, front and rear caps included so I'm delighted, cost me 7ukp..

WHAT?? Shocked Shocked Shocked
What a strike!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's QBM fit, I'll give you a profit on that Ian ! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for the Rollei medium format SLRs.

It was on ebay for 99p no reserve as faulty, I gambled and bid 7 quid. Only one other person bid and I won for 2.02ukp, Fiver postage so 7.02. Two pints of beer... Smile

I already have a Flek 4/50, I'm considering sending this one to a pro to look at, see if the aperture can be connected to the aperture ring mechanically. Register is the same as p6 so I'll get him to rework the bayonet to p6.

I'm looking forward to having the choice of flek 4/50 and distagon 4/50, best of both worlds. Just need to find a Schneider Super-Angulon 50 and I'll have all bases covered!

P.S. It's the PQ version, which is the second version and the better of the two Rollei variants.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rollei version I have is not the same as the diagram I posted, which is for the Zeiss FLE version.

Here is the Rollei datasheet for the lens I have:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is for Rolleiflex 6000 series camera ( if not for older SLX ) with between lens shutter controlled by the camera body. I have the diagram of Flektogon 50mm f4 for Pentacon 6, from an old DDR lens literature. What is the best way to upload with firefox? Not successful last time I tried.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the helpful member who sent me the hints for how to send in the diagram
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the picture of the 50mm Flektogon from a DDR lens literature, should be from the 80's, inside there are both Zeiss Jena and Pentacon ( Meyer ) lenses. If some other pictures are needed, please let me know, would check if it is included in this booklet. My appreciation to a member who sent me the instruction to send the picture, thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou very much, that is very useful. A very different optical design to the Distagon.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to take the hacksaw (quite literally!) to this lens and removed the cells so I could mount them into a Copal shutter for use on my Century Graphic 23.

To my surprise, the lens covers 6x9 with no falloff of illumination at all! There is some falloff of quality on te left and right edges, outside the 6x6 image circle, but at small apertures this isn't significant enough to spoil things. The lackof falloff of illumination and lack of distortion are impressive. Total cost of this lens/shutter combo was only 31ukp, which is a colossal bargain for an ultrawide lens for6x9 (FOV equivalent to 21mm on 36x24 FF) so I'm very happy with it.

At f8, the left and right edges are smeary:

But at f16 they are fine:

At f25 they are quite good:

These are just test shots using x-ray film in typically awful light as it's winter here, but once we have some decent weather I'll shoot some proper film with it. On the ground glass, even wide open at f4 it's ferociously sharp in the centre so I expect to get some very nice results given good weather.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of shots with 'normal' panchromatic film, albeit very old stocks.

30 year old ORWO NP15, has heavy base fog but scans okay, tonality isn't affected too much.

This one is with Kodak Panatomic-X expired in 1968. It has very heavy base fog but scans okay, albeit with less than perfect tonality.

As soon as the weather allows, I'll shoot some fresh Fomapan 100 with this lens.