Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Interchangeable lens rangefinders (35mm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What interchangeable film rangefinders do you use ?
Leica M
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Canon P ,7,L ,VI ,Nicca ,Leotax
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Contax I ,II, III ,Kiev ,
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Konica Hexar RF ,
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fed ,Zorky
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Minolta CL , 35
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Contax G
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Zeiss Ikon ZI, ZM
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Voigtlander Bessa /Rollei
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Werra
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Interchangeable lens rangefinders (35mm) Reply with quote

What rangefinder do you use (interchangeable lens ) .If you ude more , and the pool allows only one , please mention in your answer wich are those you use , and wich you prefer.
For the moment , I have only a Kiev IIa and a Fed 5B . I really love the Kiev ,but I don't mind shooting with the Fed

Last edited by yinyangbt on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Zeiss Ikon, Contax II and IIa, Contax G2.
The one I use most today is the Zeiss Ikon because it is manual and has aperture priority mode which is important for snapshots.
The metering in aperture priority is very efficient and so far it never missed one photo for me.
The Contax G2 is my camera of choice for vacations, because it is autofocus, which is nice for vacations when photograph is not
my first priority, because the motor film advance is another less thing to think about on vacations, and because two G2 cameras with the
set of 21, 28, 35, 45 and 90 mm lenses all fit inside a 25x15 cm bag.
The Contax II and IIa are my collectioner's luxury items. Of course they are not ideal for intensive use because they have no light meter (and
consequently no aperture priority mode), and because changing film is not really comfortable. However differently from most collectioners, I do use my Contax IIs regularly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Kievs all the time, for me, not having a light meter is fine as I always use a handheld meter anyways. I actually like the film loading of the Kiev/Contax, although I do prefer the fixed takeup spool in my Kiev 4, I use a spool from an Exakta in my Kiev 2. If we're talking annoying and fiddly film loading, all the Leicas where you have to take the bottom off are far worse imho, only tried it once, decided it wasn't for me. Just wish I could afford a 21mm for Kiev/Contax.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Kiev/Contax fan boy Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I am Kiev/Contax fan boy Laughing

Me too Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the many cameras I have the only interchangeable lens rangefinder I have is my lovely Zorki 4K.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Out of the many cameras I have the only interchangeable lens rangefinder I have is my lovely Zorki 4K.

I do like the Feds and Zorkis (BTW my mint Fed 4 seems to have developed a shutter fault, so you can have it to play with if you think you might be able to fix it) but I haven't used them more than once or twice since I got my first Kiev.

Of course, you can put a J8 on either a Fed, Zorki or Kiev, but the Helios-103 is Kiev only and that is almost enough reason alone to get a Kiev imho.

I will have to lens you some of my Kiev kit sometime, I have a fair bit of it now, but I warn you, you might become immediately enamoured like I did and have to invest in some of your own! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a deal Ian, we'll be up soon after Christmas. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's a deal Ian, we'll be up soon after Christmas. Very Happy

Look forward to it Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure which one I would recommend

Price/Performance: Zorki and Fed

Lifetime-Investment which will last for many decades: Leica M

If you want automatic: Zeiss Ikon

If you wan't AF: Contax G2

I disliked the Voigtländer Bessas I had and tried - bright viewfinder but very small RF-base and loud.
You should get an Minolta CLE instead imho.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd plump for the Kiev for price/performance, far better camera than the screw mount leica copies.

Arguably, you could make a Kiev a lifetime investment too, they last for decades, my 1957 one still works perfectly in all regards and I'm sure if I ever sell it I'll be able to get more for it that I paid for it. Optically, the J8, J9, J11 and J12 are all superb, if you have the 1950s red P ones, they really aren't that far from the Zeiss they are copied from, just as the 1950s Kievs are really just Contaxes with a Ukranian flavour.

I think a lot of people are put off rangefinders because they think it's very costly, but thanks to Communism it doesn't have to be. A good Kiev is still a very viable daily shooter, I use mine most days and it hasn't let me down yet. Mine has never been serviced but the fastest shutter speed is still 1/950 when it was measured with an electronic shutter tester, that's a pretty impressive testament to the soundness of the shutter design and shows that, despite what some say about Russian quality, they could make good stuff.

Then there's the Helios-103, hard to argue against a Summicron copy, brand new for 20ukp. A Kiev with Helios-103 could be a viable low cost option to an M3 with Summicron.

Altogther, my Kiev II, Kiev IV, J-8, J9, J11, J12, Helios-103 and turret multifinder cost me about 150ukp.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a Fed or Zorki, but they were mass market consumer cameras and are less advanced with less good viewfinders and rangefinders than the Kiev and a lower quality overall, the Kiev was a professional camera made in much smaller numbers and cost a lot more but these days the lenses are cheaper than the M39 versions and the cameras are often not more expensive than a Fed or Zorki and more likely to be in full working order. Also, the Kiev has a 1/1000 shutter speed which I find really is a useful thing to have instead of 1/500.

BTW, I know the top speed of a Kiev is marker 1/1250 but I doubt many of them can do better than 1/1000, same is true of Contaxes though and many say Zeiss just called it 1/1250 optimistically and to trump the Leica's 1/1000. I'd take the metal blind shutter over the cloth curtain types anyday though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys, you guys...
so now I'm going to EBay and searching for Kiev... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
You guys, you guys...

It's wonderful camera ! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
You guys, you guys...

If you find one in unknown stage usually they are works, but count speeds above 1/125 to half.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Bessa (R,L), Kiev II, FED-2 and Zorki.

Difficult to select one only...

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I use Bessa (R,L), Kiev II, FED-2 and Zorki.

Difficult to select one only...

Jes.

+1 we are not traveler mostly, subject pretty much same, one camera give less joy than more camera at least to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:

Did I missed one category ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at the moment I'm using a Werra IV... Very Happy

I do have a FED2 (probably my most used rangefinder) and a Zorkii 4 (didn't get on with that one so well) as well as a Moscow V.

K,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
skida wrote:

Did I missed one category ?
#

There's a few you could add - Braun Super Paxette, Kodak Retina IIIc, Lordonar Lordomat, Voigtlander Vitessa, Voigtlander Prominant, Kodak Ektar, Ilford Witnes (okay those last two are pretty rare) and a few more, but you got all the main ones.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
Well at the moment I'm using a Werra IV... Very Happy

I do have a FED2 (probably my most used rangefinder) and a Zorkii 4 (didn't get on with that one so well) as well as a Moscow V.

K,

Damn, Werra 3 and above probably best RF what I ever used , please extend pool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Diax 1a that is not listing here, but only with 3 lenses 90mm, 45mm and 35mm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot choose for my Werra! Shocked Sad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I cannot choose for my Werra! Shocked Sad

I did modify it with Werra, no more room left. No Altix, Diax etc Sad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I cannot change anymore, had chosen the Fed, because a choice for my favorite Werra was not available Sad Sad