Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Summicron-r 2/50 and Elmarit-r 2.8/90
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Summicron-r 2/50 and Elmarit-r 2.8/90 Reply with quote

What can you tell me about these two lenses? I have a copy of each here, but know nothing about them.

The Summicron is this version with the narrow front:

The Elmarit is the earlier version like this one:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Summicron-R 50 is the first optical version, it is less sharp than the second version but according to Leicaphiles, it has one of
the best "Leica glow" available amongst the R lenses, so people who are after the bokeh mostly, tend to prefer this first version.

THe Elmarit-R 90 looks like it could be the second optical version, which would be good news for you because the first version is weaker.
But to be sure I'd have to see the serial number.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, Bedtime for me but I'll post the serials in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of the lenses themselves. Both have slight fungus, the Summicron has a very small amount around the edge of the front element, the Elmarit has some very light fungus on one of the inner rear elements.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uih.. the are in a miserable state.. Evil or Very Mad

First lens is the very old 1.version of Summicron, for the Leicaflex.. Elmarit is 2 cam version, which means, they are from the
Leicaflex SL era. The number of cams means the silver curves onside of the inner lens barrel. If someone talks 3 - Cam, this means, in addition to the 2 curves, the newer lens did have a black "stair".. for meter coupling with newer Leica R-Cams..

Another version is "Leica R-Only".. which means the lens didnt have longer the 2 cams.. and only the "black stair" for coupling.
The last versions do have in addition to that the electrical ROM contacts for Leica R8 and R9..

To see exactly how old the lenses you have look here at this sheet with serial to age resolution...

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Leica_Lenses_Serial_Numbers.txt

The Elmarit is a fine lens.. if you clean ..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I can not read the serials, so I can not answer about specific version.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Henry, but they aren't in a miserable state, they just needs cleaning, apart from that they are fine. The fungus isn't extensive and I am sure hasn't etched the coatings, I've seen far worse fungus cleaned totally. The glass has no scratches, haze, nothing, just the fungus. Aperture and focus are perfect, the aperture blades are perfect, can't see a mark on them.

Serial Nos:

Summicron-r 2039160

Elmarit-r 2208600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Average Leica looks mint or show little usage, with all cleaning they are looks miserable indeed Sad like my pro reporter lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, be careful with cleaning, some Leica glass is reported to be very soft.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Ian, be careful with cleaning, some Leica glass is reported to be very soft.

+1.

Plumb composition in some elements?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to attempt to clean them.

Honestly, condition is not miserable, here's some better pics.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmarit 2.8/90 was recomputed in 1980 so I imagine your version to be the first one, which is optical inferior to the successor.
That does not mean that your version is bad, simply try it yourself. Refering to erwin puts even this lens gets really superb when you stop it down one or two steps.

As Orio already mentioned your Summicron 50 is a first version lens which was deliverd with the Leicaflex.
For my taste its one of the best 50ies I have ever tried.
The lens was made to deliver highest possible amount of contrast at F2 in this respect it`s even better than it`s famous successor.
The later version get`s even sharper (maybe stoped down) and does deliver a more even definition. But as said version one has higher amount of contrast wide open and was really build like a tank. So try this lens and see how beautyful the images it captures are.

Timo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Timo, good to know. I will have to improvise an adapter for my NEX, as I don't have the right one. A bit of tape and my Nikon adapter might do the trick. There is a Leicaflex SL with them but sadly the shutter won't cock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian said "Honestly, condition is not miserable . . . ". When I was lad a common description of things in this state would have been 'scruffy'. Today I expect many would describe them as 'Excellent+' Very Happy

Both are nice lenses, of course, and well worth getting cleaned internally. Happy Snapping, Ian !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Stephen. Scruffy sounds right to me too. Miserable would imply that they weren't able to focus properly, the aperture blades were oily and sticky, the glass in poor state, but with these, it's just some light fungus and wear to the barrels, the focus and aperture are flawless as far as I can tell, the aperture blades are perfectly clean. So they are functional, just scruffy and with a proper cleaning would be great shooters I'm sure. It's blowing a gale and raining like the monsoon here today, had the house lights on since 1pm as it's so dark, so no chance to try either of them on my NEX yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

This looks terrible to me.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, people love to criticise. I have the lenses here, I can examine them closely and see all of the fungus and dust, and it's really not bad at all, I've sucessfully cleaned much worse. But hey, you people know better from seeing a few pics, right?

I've already said I'm going to get them cleaned, what else can I say?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we say they look used? I have had and seen worse and they usually come out shining after a good cleaning.

Congrats on 2 very nice lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:
Can we say they look used? I have had and seen worse and they usually come out shining after a good cleaning.

Congrats on 2 very nice lenses.

Exactly. They need cleaning, but otherwise are fine, they don't need any other attention as everything is fully working.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be really happy to find such a miserable summicron for miserable money, but all Leica glass i find for sale looks unused, well stored, and out of my budget.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I'd be really happy to find such a miserable summicron for miserable money, but all Leica glass i find for sale looks unused, well stored, and out of my budget.

Well said, people are used to see leica lenses in good condition. Judging from the photos, these don't look very good, but also I can't say there are in awful condition, it seems people who owned them - just used the lenses, and not babied Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree RTI, if these were Nikkors, people would not bat an eyelid at the condition, but seems Leicists don't like to use their lenses intensively. A bit silly to me, buy a Nikkor for a lot smaller price and use it without fear, i don't see the point in owning an expensive Leica lens then being afraid to use it and cause some signs of wear to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly tried the Elmarit 90mm on my NEX-3 today, sadly raining heavily and little light so these are all wide open. But I think it's clear, the IQ isn't ruined by the fungus.