Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are there any Constant Aperture, MF Standard Zooms?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Are there any Constant Aperture, MF Standard Zooms? Reply with quote

I'm normally more of a prime lens sort-of-a-guy (I primarily shoot video as well), but I've been finding that the majority of my work has been coming from documentary/reality TV/news reel style shooting, which lends itself to constant-aperture zooms far more than it does fast primes. As such, I've been looking into investing in a constant aperture zoom for my 7D. I've read quite a bit about the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 (both versions), as well as the 24-105 f/4 (I've used it as well).

Are there any older, Manual Focus constant aperture standard zooms that are worth looking in to rather than investing in the Canon L series (or their other AF competitors)? Or is the only way to get a manual aperture ring on a constant aperture standard zoom lens via a Dulcos cine-conversion of an AF lens?

Thanks for any advice that you have.

PS- I started another thread in the AF section asking more specific questions about the various AF constant aperture lenses I'm considering. I wasn't sure where to put the thread if I was to make it one post, so I thought I'd split it into two. The AF thread is seen here: http://forum.mflenses.com/help-with-constant-aperture-standard-zooms-t55073.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need lens primary for video, I wouldn't recommend any zoom other than Canon L because of CA,flare and ghosting handling... because on video it's much harder to edit the artifacts than on photos... old zoom just can't perform nearly that much good as L zooms... situations is better with some older mf primes...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any high quality, fast, constant aperture zooms that will fit Canon EOS cameras other than the Contax Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4 which is incredible. I'm currently looking at the Tamron SP 24-70/2.8 VC though as it has a much wider end, stabilisation and great image rendering similar to Zeiss lenses. Expensive, mind you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Angenieux / Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 also have manual versions.

But the Angenieux branded is probably very expensive?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax 3.4/35-70
Contax 3.5/40-80
Contax 3.5/70-210
Contax 4/80-200

kansalliskala wrote:

He asked for zooms with constant aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

kansalliskala wrote:

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any Constant Aperture, MF Standard Zooms? Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
Are there any older, Manual Focus constant aperture standard zooms that are worth looking in to rather than investing in the Canon L series (or their other AF competitors)?

Some independent zooms you could add to the list are the Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f/2.8 (varifocal, so possibly not ideal for video?), or the Tokina AT-X 35-70mm f/2.8. Both were available in EOS-friendly mounts such as Nikon or M42.

gearsNcogs wrote:
Or is the only way to get a manual aperture ring on a constant aperture standard zoom lens via a Dulcos cine-conversion of an AF lens?

You might consider Nikon G or DX lenses, used on a suitable EOS adapter with its own aperture control. These tend to be stepless, though possibly not smooth enough for video?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djo83 wrote:
if you need lens primary for video, I wouldn't recommend any zoom other than Canon L because of CA,flare and ghosting handling... because on video it's much harder to edit the artifacts than on photos... old zoom just can't perform nearly that much good as L zooms... situations is better with some older mf primes...

+1

I think the Canon coatings are as good as they get and this makes a huge difference in some applications.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ thats the main reason... he can find sharp manual zoom, but hardly with acceptable level of artifacts control... hdslr video is completely different thing than photos regarding postproduction, and the lenses should be as much good as every videographer can afford...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Zuiko OM 35-80/2.8

Problem is its 1KEUR

EDIT: problem 2, it doesn't fit Canon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8. or 28-80.
it is great for video since it has a long focus rotation with hard stops. the lens barrel does not get longer when focusing or zooming.
It is nearly parfocal and your camera will not recognize the 2.6 anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamrons anyone?
70~210mm F/3.5
38-100mm F/3.5
35~70mm F/3.5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted this on another thread but it fits the bill here http://www.fourseasonshd.com/cgi-bin/csvsearch.pl?db=db1&tp=tp4&search=3570macro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the Tokina 28-85mm f/4 and Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 (AF and Adaptall-2 versions).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 lens. Its excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Olympus Zuiko OM 35-80/2.8

Problem is its 1KEUR

EDIT: problem 2, it doesn't fit Canon
problem2: not true, OM glass fits canon without problem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Series1 24-48 / 3,8 - probably my favorite lens on my Pentax, I have no experience of video so I don't know if it would be suitable. But it isn't that popular - the 35-85 is the more sought after - so it's cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Orio wrote:

kansalliskala wrote:

Smile

Laughing f/2.6-f/2.8 a difference of f/0.2 can be seen?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind using an adapter, you could consider the Nikkor 80-200mm f4, Nikkor 50-135mm f3.5, Nikkor 35-200mm f3.5 (only changes aperture if you go to macro).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

But the Angenieux branded is probably very expensive?

Just to clarify, the Angenieux and the Tokina are NOT the same lens, even if sellers of the Tokina would like you to believe that. Tokina based the lens on Angenieux designs but altered it so it could be produced and sold for a much lower price.

If you need a long range I would recommend the Tamron 35-105/2.8. There also is a 28-105/2.8 version, but that one is not as well regarded (haven't tried it myself though).