Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 T... My first NEW manual lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 T... My first NEW manual lens Reply with quote

Hello,

I must be crazy, but i bought this lens new from Japan. My first impressions, this is a great lens.

Some quick shots. Full resolution samples here http://www.pbase.com/inghar/carl_zeiss_planar_1450_t_zs

f1.4

f2

f2

Ingo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ingo, it's not only a great lens, it's the best and it's a Zeiss
Go look the F2 last sample at full resolution

Last edited by poilu on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ingo!
Congrats for this new wonderful lens. I got the Planar 1.7 and it's one of my most valuable lenses.

Crazy or not only depends only on how much did you pay for it Wink

Enjoy it!
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bokeh, colors and contrast. Are you happy with your Sigma DSLR?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Crazy or not only depends only on how much did you pay for it Wink

I´ve paid 499,- US $ including shipping. The strong Euro make it possible.

Ingo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one sharp lens. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I wish I had one of these myself, but can't justify the expense for now. How are the mechanics? I'm very curious about the "cinematic" focusing wheel that, in the words of Zeiss, would be a big improvement over the Contax line (which was in my opinion already the best available amongst the manual lenses), allowing for very precise focusing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratualtions!
Crazyness? > No!
Such a lens is an investigation for the whole life and so the price is justified.

By the way: greetings from "leporinus" ( Wink ) and "Uwe K." (= me).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It does not only seem to be an excellent lens, it also is a gorgeous one! Really beautiful! Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fight my neurotic inferiority complex, I have to post the photos below:

The Pancolar at aperture 1.8 (60 sec.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome lens. How did you mount it? - it cant have been an SA mount. I really love seeing the product of those foveon chips - they help with very natural colours.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to your questions:

(1) One uses an adapter. Below a link to a text I wrote about mounting M42-lenses with the Sigma DSLR´s:
http://www.sigmaforum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=6
I use the adapter of this shop:
http://stores.ebay.de/phototools24

(2) The colors of the Sigma DSRL´s are fine. But what I learned with M42-lenses is, that every prime has a special charakter like an individual. What I want to point out is, that the camera gives to a lesser extent the aura of a photo but the lens.
The special gain of a Foveon-chip is in my humble opinion the possibility to resolve very detailed.

Last edited by Retro on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:30 pm; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
What an awesome lens. How did you mount it? - it cant have been an SA mount. I really love seeing the product of those foveon chips - they help with very natural colours.

patrickh

It´s a new Carl Zeiss ZS lens with M42 mount. Same as Planar ZF for Nikon.

Ingo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Smile

Congrats Ingo!

As one of the Contax junkies in the group. I also salivate for this updated Planar. You should count yourself lucky to have one. Now time to sell all those Sigma AF junkers and fill your bag with the rest of the CZ ZS line Very Happy Twisted Evil

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought several Zeiss lenses from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore. Great prices.

The best deal is usually the ones of the previous generation, with a black front, not the silver ring you got. You didn't pay too much because 50mm is less so you may as well buy new with silver ring, but when you look for Planar 85mm f1.4, Distagons, there the black front is fine. Not many ZS(M42) though. Most Zeiss Contax lenses could be converted to M42 easily if there were one or two sizes M42 blanks(no screw holes), in case there is no ZS.

That Sigma camera SD14 is only $599 now, so for the price of Zeiss lenses, get a camera that will show what they and M42 lenses can do.

http://www.pbase.com/recbo/legends

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF confirm light works on Sigma SD14. Manual focus junkies don't see why anyone would want it, but in dim light when I get that totally lost feeling focusing at f5.6, I look for a blink in the lower left of viewfinder. An led blinks at sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That Sigma camera SD14 is only $599 now, so for the price of Zeiss lenses, get a camera that will show what they and M42 lenses can do.

I had no idea it has become so inexpensive. Sigma anounced the UK price for the DP1 at 599GBP. What's up with that price. A fixed lens at over a $1000. I'm sure this is just because of hype but, Wow Shocked what hype.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Ingo. You have it. My dream lens.

Imre