Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bunchberry Dogwood Against Red Cedar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Bunchberry Dogwood Against Red Cedar Reply with quote

On the coastal piedmont zone is a middle ground of prairie/bog ecotone. This ecotone comes to its climax west of Lake Ozette, and covers about 15 square miles, right to the ocean. It's actually a narrow strip, but has a singular group of endemic plants.

Western Red Cedars (Thuja plicata) are generally climaxed at about 1000 years, give or take a hundred years or so. Inland, in the rain forests, they can grow to about 12 feet (almost 4 meters) in diameter. They are associated with almost swamplike conditions, or in the case of the rain forest -- very wet ground.

Out on this prairie/bog ecotone, there is usually standing water over 50% of the total area. The cedars are stunted in their growth, and become very much like the appearance of the alpine growth pattern. The growth rings are very tight, and the tree can reach 1000 years old but only be 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter. In fact, many of the 500-1000 year old trees are only 12-20 inches in diameter. It's almost a "Bonsai" effect.

Bunchberry Dogwood (Cornus canadensis) is almost always in association with the cedars that rise out of the bog, and in fact can germinate in recesses in the cedar bark.

The combination makes for a fine floral display, as though it was "pruned" like a formal garden.

Here is an example of the association. I had to be careful here, using the Sunny 16 rule. This was almost shade, and called for f:16, 1/8th. But I have always had a problem with the white colors washing out, so I deliberately underexposed by a stop.

Bunchberry Dogwood with Red Cedar

Pentax 645
Pentax 75.2.8
f:16, 1/15
Fuji Velvia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!!
Every day another fantastic image. Larry, you have had a really success filled photographic journey. Thank you once again for sharing Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Amazing!!
Every day another fantastic image. Larry, you have had a really success filled photographic journey. Thank you once again for sharing Smile

Well, thank YOU for your wonderful words. I just hope to continue to have the chances to get out there. Photography is fun, and certainly helps to bring me even closer to the soul of the natural world. But, my first emphasis is in simply "being there". There's really nothing as satisfying to me as being alone with nature and integrating with the sounds and sights as much as I can. I think that you can definitely understand that, as I know you are gentle on the Earth.

One thing I noticed about this image when I shot it last year, was that it seems very three-dimensional, and I like that. The Pentax "standard" lens is a truly fine piece of equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always told myself "If only I had this camera or that lens..." but in fact I really want eyes like yours to "see" this stuff in front of me. Amazing

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

One thing I noticed about this image when I shot it last year, was that it seems very three-dimensional, and I like that. The Pentax "standard" lens is a truly fine piece of equipment.

Larry, I think the finest piece of your equipment is you, behind any camera Smile

Lovely picture, (as usual Wink ).
And yes, that three-dimensional effect is the result of a extremely well composed picture with perfect exposition, shadow balance and immaculate colouring...

Thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Dogwood portraiture, it would deserve to be on a plant book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just amazing pic, Larry! You need to get published!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we found #1 photographer on this forum , many thanks Larry to make our day every day!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Wow! Wow! Again!
What a green, and so 3D! Great!

And then, even without a meter! Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I always told myself "If only I had this camera or that lens..." but in fact I really want eyes like yours to "see" this stuff in front of me. Amazing

patrickh
I feel the same Wink