Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sensors and lenses resolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why some lenses are listed as being suitable for 16mpx max.

Why? The resolution of the lens is surely high enough for a 36mp sensor. The D800 sensor has 102.3lp/mm resolution, this is still much less than what a good film can resolve - Velvia 50 can resolve 160lp/mm.

So is it true that the D800 sensor is more demanding? I'm not sure I understand the maths here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this list of sensors and their resolutions in lp/mm:

Quote:
Nikon v1 Mirrorless 10.1mp CX format
3872x2592 pixels; 13.2x8.8mm dimensions
Resolution: 147.27 lp/mm

Sony 24.3mp APS-C "Exmor" HD CMOS
6000x4000 pixels; 23.5x15.6mm dimensions
Resolution: 128.20 lp/mm

Olympus E-5 12.3mp Hi-Speed Live 4/3 MOS
4032x3024 pixels; 17.3x13mm dimensions
Resolution: 116.31 lp/mm

Canon 7D 18mp APS-C
5184x3456 pixels; 22.3x14.9mm dimensions
Resolution: 115.97 lp/mm

Canon 500D 15.1mp APS-C
4752x3168 pixels; 22.3x14.9mm dimensions
Resolution: 106.31 lp/mm

Nikon D7000 16.2mp APS-C (DX)
4928x3264 pixels; 23.6x15.6mm dimensions
Resolution: 104.62 lp/mm

Pentax K-5 16.3mp APS-C
4982x3264 pixels; 23.4x15.6mm dimensions
Resolution: 104.62 lp/mm

Nikon D800 36.3mp Full Frame (FX)
6144x4912 pixels; 35.9x24mm dimensions
Resolution: 102.33 lp/mm

Canon 1D IV 16.1mp APS-H
4896x3264 pixels; 27.9x18.6mm dimensions
Resolution: 87.74 lp/mm

Nikon D3x 24.5mp Full Frame (FX)
6048x4032 pixels; 35.9x24mm dimensions
Resolution: 84 lp/mm

Sony 24.6mp "Exmor" Full Frame
6048x4032 pixels; 35.9x24mm dimensions
Resolution: 84 lp/mm

Hasselblad H4D-60 Medium Format Full Frame
8956x6708 pixels; 53.7x40.2mm dimensions
Resolution: 83.43 lp/mm

Pentax 645D 40mp Medium Format "Cropped" DSLR
7264x5440 pixels; 44x33mm dimensions
Resolution: 82.42 lp/mm

Canon 1Ds III/5D II 21.1mp Full Frame
5616x3744 pixels; 36x24mm dimensions
Resolution: 78.63 lp/mm

Canon 1D X 18.1mp Full Frame
5184x3456 pixels; 36x24mm dimensions
Resolution: 72 lp/mm

Nikon D4 16.2mp Full Frame (FX)
4982x3280 pixels; 36x23.9mm dimensions
Resolution: 68.62 lp/mm

From that list, we have the Nikon D800 36.3mp sensor as the highest density full-frame sensor on the market, the Sony 24mp Exmor sensor as the highest density APS-C sensor on the market, the Canon 1D IV 16.1mp sensor as the highest density APS-H sensor on the market (obviously), and the Olympus E-5 12.3mp sensor as the highest density 4/3rds format sensor (4/3rds or micro 4/3rds, not sure which it is, as I don't really use that system.) I threw in the Pentas 645D and Hasselblad H4D-60 medium format sensors and the Nikon v1 CX sensor just for a basis of comparison.

The 14.3mp APS-C sensor of my NEX-3 isn't listed there, but it will be around 100lp/mm.

I'm having diffifulty understanding how these sensor resolution figures relate to lens resolution figures.

I have a Helios-103 that is supposed to have 55lp/mm resolution in the centre, it produces very sharp images on my NEX:

My Jupiter-8 is supposed to have 'only' 38lp/mm resolution in the centre but also produces very sharp images on my NEX:

Now, to me, the difference between 38 and 55 lp/mm is visible on the NEX-3, but both are sharp enough. So how does lens resolution relate to sensor resolution? Can someone explain this in simple terms?

AA filter also has an effect, my NEX-3 has one, but sharpening images does give a noticeable improvement, perhaps cameras that don't have AA filters produce output that looks like this:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
So how does lens resolution relate to sensor resolution? Can someone explain this in simple terms?

Good morning! Let me have a try:

I have used the data you gave in your post. Columns D, E and F show the resulting resolution,
i.e. what resolution will you achieve when you use a certain sensor (column B+C) and a certain lens.

Examples:
Your Helios-103 on a Nikon D800 will have a resulting resolution of 35.8 lp/mm.
Your Jupiter-8 will have a resulting resolution of 27.7 lp/mm.
And if you could find a lens with 102.3 lp/mm, i.e. the lens has the same resolution as
the sensor, the resulting resolution would become 51.2 lp/mm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinquartz wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
So how does lens resolution relate to sensor resolution? Can someone explain this in simple terms?

Good morning! Let me have a try:

The Table appears to be using the relationship...

1/RES = 1/RLENS + 1/RSENS

where RRES is the resulting resolution obtained when using a lens with resolution RLENS on a sensor with resolution RSENS.

AFAIK this relationship is purely empirical with no theoretical basis. Other sources have used different empirical relationships. Thus, for example, if we use the relationship ...

1/RES^2 = 1/RLENS^2 + 1/RSENS^2

then, for the NEX3/Helios-103 combination, RRES becomes 48.2 - which is much larger than the value 35.5 quoted in the Table.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John!
Yes, I used the formula 1/T = 1/S + 1/L, where T = total res, S = sensor res, L = lens res.

In order not to complicate things, let us just consider the Helios-103 (and skip the decimals):
Using my formula, the total resolution values become max 40, min 30, depending on which sensor we use.
Using your square formula, the total resolution values will have a span of max 51, min 43.
Were we to use a third formula, we would most probably arrive at other values.

Can we agree on which is the "correct" formula?

And, before we set off WorldWar 2.5 by hi-jacking this thread, shall
we start a new one (thread, that is, not a WW) someplace else?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinquartz wrote:
Hi John!
Yes, I used the formula 1/T = 1/S + 1/L, where T = total res, S = sensor res, L = lens res.

In order not to complicate things, let us just consider the Helios-103 (and skip the decimals):
Using my formula, the total resolution values become max 40, min 30, depending on which sensor we use.
Using your square formula, the total resolution values will have a span of max 51, min 43.

A new thread is a good idea. Do you want to start it ? Or shall we wait until a Mod comes along and splits this one ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I split the thread (and put this in Lenses forum, since it does not seem to be limited to DSLR cameras).
Enjoy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid! Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinquartz wrote:
Splendid! Thank you.

You're welcome. I will not partecipate, I got headache by simply looking at the table Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio !

twinquartz wrote:
Hi John!

The squared formula is not "mine". It's simply one I've seen reference to - I haven't even seen the original publications where it was was used. I've even seen reference to the use of non-integral exponents ..

1/T^1.5 =1/S^1.5 + 1/L^1.5

As far as I know all of these equations are empirical - in the sense that they are guesses and not based on theory. I don't know if one is in any sense "correct".

The only way I know to calculate the resolution of a system is to mutiply the MTFs (strictly OTFs) of the component parts. If there's an easier way then I'd love to know what it is. If one of "our" equations is "good" then that would be great. I'm all for simplification. The problem is that simplification can often to lead to a misunderstanding of basic ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to re-calcuate my Excel sheet with the 1.5 value you just brought into the picture,
the resulting values would sort of fall in between my original set and the squared one.

One of the German forum members is skilled in lp/mm, especially when it comes
to reprographic lenses. Let us hope that he will be able to straighten out the problem...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a reference to your square formula: Higgins, G.C.Appl. Opt. 3, v.1, 9, Jan 1964.
And here is a good discussion (with lots of graphs!) http://www.diax.nl/pages/Lens_res_uk.html
Enjoy!

Ah, just found another good one:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4110039430/detail-of-sx3040-vs-compact-slr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You call that sharp?

My comment on this issue would be that most lenses, especially old zooms, would be lucky to field 70 lp/mm on a good day.

lp/mm values for lenses can be tricky. They depend on where you measure (center or corners) and what level of constrast degradation is considered OK. I think they are usually given as MTF50, i.e. where MTF drops contrast to 50 %.

The maximum resolution would be where contrast drops to zero - MTF01 or something. Same for those 160 lp/mm from Velvia.
For Bayer sensors, correction factor like 1.5..2 to compensate for RGB pattern.

I can imagine you would, with these insane-resolution-sensors at 100% zoom, see a drastic improvement swapping a so-so 90 lp/mm lens against a gold standard one, like Sigma 50 Macro, because with sensors, the MTF goes 100% almost until the maximum resolution.

Film would profit a lot, too (the MTFs multiply), but most people never had the equipment (or cared) to examine the 100 lp/mm range.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
OK, I split the thread (and put this in Lenses forum, since it does not seem to be limited to DSLR cameras).
Enjoy Smile

Thankyou Orio, this is a better place than the original d800 thread. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct way to combine resolutions will be to do a mathematical process called convolution. Conveniently, Gaussian functions convolve so that the widths add in quadrature. Thus the total width T when Gaussians of widths A and B are convolved is given by T^2=A^2+B^2. This will (I assume) be the origin of the formula with squares in it. The reciprocal will be because the resolution is expressed in reciprocal units (lp/mm). This convolution means that if one part has much worse resolution than the other part, the combined resolution is determined basically only by the worst part, as one would expect from a common sense point of view.

However, I would say combing lp/mm figures in this way will be a very dodgy procedure. The problem comes from how one defines the resolution when using pairs of black and white lines. Specifically, the contrast across the lines is an important part of the definition. Thus, one lens resolution figure may be at, say, 80% contrast (very well resolved) whilst another may be at 20% contrast (much less well resolved).

Another issue is how the resolution of the sensor is calculated. Because of the Bayer pattern of the pixels in the sensor and the interpolation used to create the final image, it is not correct to simply say the spatial resolution is determined by the pixel spacing and thus the spatial-frequency resolution, limited by Nyquist, is given by 0.5*(1/pixel spacing). A more realistic calculation would be to take square-root(2)*(pixel spacing) as this is the spacing between green pixels in the Bayer sensor and the green channel gives most of the spatial information. The Nyquist limit for a sensor would thus be 1.414 times smaller than the figures quoted by Ian.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To what was said above, I only want to add that the formula 1/Res_tot = 1/Res_1 + 1/Res_2 comes from the fact that two Lorentzians instead of Gaussians are convoluted, which gives again a Lorentzian but with a width parameter equal to the sum of the original two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_distribution (see the remark with the stable distribution)
The connection to optics is - I think - that the envelope of the Airy disc is a Lorentzian, therefore it might be more appropriate if one estimates resolutions for diffraction-limited optics.

But I also think it should be taken with a grain of salt, because digital sensors have the box distribution ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_blur ) instead of a Gaussian/Lorentzian as 'blur operator'. So in principle one should describe it as the convolution of the point spread function (which can be rather ugly with all sorts of aberration) with this box filter, and then it is not so easy to give a simple equation for the resulting resolution or blur width.

coon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I did optics and maths , Cauchy had in the past documented interesting consequences in his sphere for functions crossing it, and Gauss made an impression with a bell curve which begat standard deviations, but i never heard of a box function (apart fromthe monte carlo method), so please explaina bit further for the benefit of us ignorant oldtimers.

p

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't understand why some lenses are listed as being suitable for 16mpx max.

Why? The resolution of the lens is surely high enough for a 36mp sensor. The D800 sensor has 102.3lp/mm resolution, this is still much less than what a good film can resolve - Velvia 50 can resolve 160lp/mm.

So is it true that the D800 sensor is more demanding? I'm not sure I understand the maths here.

The source of all this confusion is that the quoted resolutions are not comparable. It appears as if they use the same units (lp/mm), but they aren't.

Strange as it sounds, but resolution is not a well defined quantity. A well defined quantity is MTF value at a given contrast level. This is the highest frequency (typically expressed in lp/mm) at which the image of a sine pattern retains given contrast percentage of input. Most people take MTF 50 (MTF value at 50% contrast) or MTF 20 as a measurement of resolution, while some people take it as frequency at which details are still visible, which corresponds to MTF 2 or so.

Needless to say, MTF 50 and MTF 2 are simply incomparable. 160lp/mm quoted for film is likely MTF 2 or so, while 30-50lp/mm quoted for most lenses is likely MTF 50. MTF 50 for Provia 100F film is 42lp/mm see here http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF.html Therefore, MTF 50 of D800 is likely higher than that of overwhelming majority of films (however, I am not sure how MTF 10 or MTF 2 compare).

Now, as people have said, there is no simple formula that allows to produce system resolution from the resolution of sensor and lens. Ideally one would have to calculate system MTF by multiplying component MTFs. All simple available formulas are approximations based on some assumptions, which may or may not hold. However, when one component is significantly weaker than the other (e.g. the lens), it will determine the system resolution. Just set the resolution of film/sensor to infinity in any of the quoted formulas and get the system resolution to be equal to that of the lens. In practice the performance would be yet weaker.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
...but i never heard of a box function (apart fromthe monte carlo method), so please explaina bit further for the benefit of us ignorant oldtimers.

In Maths it is called the "indicator function" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_function ) of an interval, "1" at every point inside and "0 " outside. Digital sensors integrate the image information over the active area of the pixel, something that you can describe as a convolution with such a function. In image processing it is somehow often called the box function/box filter, which is a bit figurative but describes the shape quite nicely:

coon - photography greenhorn Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of my photographic effort last couple years has been toward maximizing sharpness in my coin photography. The macro nature of photographing coins places a special emphasis on diffraction effects due to the magnification near 1:1 (most all my work is on Lincoln Cents at M=0.8 or so). Most recently I have been using a Canon T2i, which has particularly small (4.3um) pixels, with 18MP on a APS-C sensor. This has placed a burden on my lenses since the Diffraction Limited Aperture of the sensor is around f7. To achieve effective aperture of f7 at M=0.8 you need a lens that has 116lp/mm MTF50 at f4 across at least 16mm (the coin is round, so corners don't matter much). Few lenses can do this, and in fact I'm only aware of a handful. Lower magnifications widen the field of available lenses significantly.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:

Another issue is how the resolution of the sensor is calculated. Because of the Bayer pattern of the pixels in the sensor and the interpolation used to create the final image, it is not correct to simply say the spatial resolution is determined by the pixel spacing and thus the spatial-frequency resolution, limited by Nyquist, is given by 0.5*(1/pixel spacing).

Good point. That was exactly my first though when I saw the topic. The resolutions displayed on the table are only based on pixel size of sensors. And not only the bayer matix is that counts, there is also the anti-aliasing effect of the filter!
I know that even if I take un-debayerified raw photos from a DSLR, it's not possible to achive better that 1.7 pixels resolution at 50% contrast levels (at least I was never able to), even when I know the lens is not the limit, tested on a monochrome camera. And after colour convesion or just debayerizing it gets ever worse.

That's where than the Foveon is better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forced myself to read every post in this thread, despite not understanding most of it.

My brain just imploded. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be a potent thread: so far, one Italian headache and one Scottish implosion.
Apart from that: one of my hopes is that in the end, we will be able to find
a suitable approximation which most can agree on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I forced myself to read every post in this thread, despite not understanding most of it.

My brain just imploded. Sad

I`m in the same league Gary!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take photos Shocked and don't worry about the resolution not being constiti.... my brain ran away Shocked