Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro, a real compact gem for my Nex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro, a real compact gem for my Nex Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
I've finally got my Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro which because of it's high quality led Leica to introduce it 'as the Leitz Vario-Elmar R 35-70 f3.5 later. I was looking for some kind of simple travel zoom. But after a couple of shots I can say this lens is a real gem and extreme bargain for me - some funny 30 bucks spent. Every focal length is nice and perfectly sharp - from corner to corner. Macro options allow stunning portraits at 1:7 macro and crazy look with bokeh at 1:4 macro modes. I haven't photographed much with my APO Lanthar and Nex, but I can clearly see now the limitations of my Nex 1.5 APS sensor with this beauty!

Some CA presents only because of some PP applied to samples. Not the best ones though I'll try to update with some more later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results from this lens - I think it is the best 'normal' zoom there is - and I'm glad to see it adapted to the NEX. As I have mine already, I suppose it won't be a horrible thing if the world catches on to this very underpriced gem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Excellent results from this lens - I think it is the best 'normal' zoom there is - and I'm glad to see it adapted to the NEX. As I have mine already, I suppose it won't be a horrible thing if the world catches on to this very underpriced gem

Well, yes I am 100% agree but let it happen after I go and get a pair for my friends! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats.... great lens indeed. I have non macro one
nice pictures Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the non macro and the lens is good on a film camera as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the macro version. Very good lens. I really need to use mine more. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, IAZA. And a little update here - I very much like how does this lens renders/resolves light and shadow details. Just take a look to a following uncropped full size sample with no PP except 2 contrast stops:

Yes, that excellent corner to corner resolution again:

P.S. Wondering is it possible to use this lens on a 5D? I should investigate that definetely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro Reply with quote

I had this lense 35-70mm f3.5 macro conveter to eos...take with 5D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro Reply with quote

vthanh wrote:

Welcome to the forum, vthanh! Nice photos.

Image posting is disabled for first time posters as an antispam measure. From now on you can post images.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation Actures - fine lens and a very wise choice! It was my first choice to bring on my trip to Australia - I only had to think about what other lenses to bring with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Congratulation Actures - fine lens and a very wise choice! It was my first choice to bring on my trip to Australia - I only had to think about what other lenses to bring with it.

Thanks, Peter. Yes, this lens is a totally awesome all-purposes travelling lens. tvthanh, many thanks for your samples they looks absolutely great! Welcome to the forum. Now I shall proceed with my 5D conversion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro Reply with quote

vthanh wrote:

Welcome to the forum vthanh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all...I post more picture with this lens....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this lens evolve into the AF lens, or is that completely different ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I would say yes, although that's just my guess. The AF body is of course totally different, but with the same F4 constant aperture, similar MFD and the macro functionality, it looks likely that the glass formula was re-used.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem to be a good AF lens, and it has a good reputation. I'll have to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good experience with any maker in this range Konica,Olympus OM, cheap Japanese Prakticar etc all are pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I suppose it did, I got the Maxxum 35-70/4. A very good lens with very nice rendering and classic Minolta colors.

Some samples for the AF 35-70, for comparison Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
I suppose it did, I got the Maxxum 35-70/4. A very good lens with very nice rendering and classic Minolta colors.

RTI, I hope you don't me saying this, but I think your pictures are either overexposed or you've increased the brightness too much in PP. The sharpness of the lens is much more evident if the brightness is reduced a little:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
RTI wrote:

RTI, I hope you don't me saying this, but I think your pictures are either overexposed or you've increased the brightness too much in PP. The sharpness of the lens is much more evident if the brightness is reduced a little:

Those were initially overexposed, though I must admit your version looks good too, Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am grooving out over the details you captured in your set of photos, nice!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is better -- non macro or macro version??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind i got the answer
on this site --its in german Smile
http://www.artaphot.ch/sr-system-lenses/231-minolta-35-70mm-135-md

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean.peace wrote:
never mind i got the answer
on this site --its in german Smile
http://www.artaphot.ch/sr-system-lenses/231-minolta-35-70mm-135-md

What is the answer? I'm interested as I've got the macro version.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von dem 35-70er gibt es folgende Varianten:

MD Zoom Rokkor (-X) 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g (1978): Der berühmt Urahn, der direkt von Leitz adoptiert wurde. Hat keine Macro-Einstellung, dafür aber zwei Frontgewinde: 62mm für Streulichtblende und 55mm für Filter. MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 355g
(1981) Das 'Plain MD'-Update mit leicht verändertem Aufbau und Steck-Streulichtblende. MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g
(1983) Letzte 'echte' Minolta-Version, jetzt mit Macro-Funktion. MD Zoom 35-70 1:3.5-4.8 185g
(?) Billig-Linse, wahrscheinlich von Cosina hergestellt.

google translate:

Of the 35-70s are the following variants:

MD Zoom Rokkor (-X) 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g (1978): The famous ancestor, who was adopted directly from Leitz. Has no macro setting, but two front thread: 62mm for for lens hood and 55mm filters. MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 355g
(1981) The 'Plain MD' update with a slightly modified design and plug-in lens hood. MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g
(1983) last 'real' version of Minolta, now. With Macro function MD 35-70 1:3.5-4.8 zoom 185g
(?) Cheap lens, probably made ​​by Cosina.