Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap, cheaper, cheapest with SD15 and Panagor lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Cheap, cheaper, cheapest with SD15 and Panagor lens Reply with quote

Today i got the message that my C/Y mount replacement kit for the Sigma SD15 is on the way to me.

In the meantime I had a look into my lens arsenal and found an old Panagor-Marcro 3.5/75-205 with M42 which I have forgotten in the meantime. I can remember that I paid around 20 or 25 for this lens and when I tried it out in the past I was very impressed regarding the results.

So here few images with the SD15 and Auto-Panagor Macro Zoom lens 3.5/75-205 and 10 Kiwi M42 to Sigma SA adapter. All images at ISO 100 and f/5.6.

Must say that I'm still impressed and will hold this nice lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice Rolf, particularly the colours, or are they due to that Foveon sensor?

Kiron lenses are usually pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's real Foveon charm Wink
How do you like the SD15 compared to the SD14?.
Nice samples.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments.

Don't own the SD14 so I have no idea Jesito. Bought the SD15 only for the Carl Zeiss Contax lenses.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panagor = Kiron good one really.Put on your NEX too I am curious difference is worth to buy a Sigma too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf your results are great. I loved the IQ of the SD14 i had, but manually focusing it was an utter nightmare because the VF was like a dark tunnel and the camera had no focusing aids. Is the sd15 VF/software more friendly to manual focus?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos. Nice lens for sure.

Offtopic: why the hype around these Sigma bodies really? I've read some reviews for the SD15 and they were not exactly stellar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tony.

Don't know the SD14, the SD15 has a focus lamp together with the middle red focus point. Additional I mounted from Pentax an standard eyepiece magnifier (O-ME53) 1.2 which helps a lot. Seems anyway that the VF of the SD15 is an OEM product of Pentax (or vice versa).

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
why the hype around these Sigma bodies really?

Colors. No AA filter. IR capabilities. I would add also: ergonomics of the body (in terms how solid it feels in my hands), quite good viewfinder (contrary to what have been said I have no problems to focus manually despite lack of aids).

[Had to edit - thought about IR written UV]

Last edited by pavko on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf: thank you. Keep enjoying it, that foveon sensor is truly magical.

Pavco: i am quite happy for you, but for the benefit of others out there, i have had almost two dozen different digital cameras and many more film cameras and i can say without a moments hesitation the SD14 had THE single worst viewfinder of them all by a wide margin. It killed me too because the results of a good shot were simply astounding with the foveon sensor. Perhaps you only shoot AF in which case the VF doesnt matter. But for manual docus lenses it was like shooting through a dark tunnel. Maybe 50% of my shots were in focus. Unlike almost any other dslr, not only is the vf dark, but there are no focus aids, just what you see naturally. People now are complaining about the fuji xpro1 only having a single 10x focus aid setting! This 'defect' would totally save the SD series for folks like me. Ultimaty despite the superior IQ i, and many many others that i read about on the sigma forums, were forced to sell be ause of these issues. I even tried a 1.5 vf magnifier and it didnt help enough.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
why the hype around these Sigma bodies really?

Colors. No AA filter. UV capabilities. I would add also: ergonomics of the body (in terms how solid it feels in my hands), quite good viewfinder (contrary to what have been said I have no problems to focus manually despite lack of aids).

Thank you your input.

Well maybe the reviews were made by skeptical folks that only believen in a Canon/Nikon dominated world but they were pretty straightforward, the pics taken with the camera need some post production work to get good results and overpriced.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offtopic: why the hype around these Sigma bodies really? I've read some reviews for the SD15 and they were not exactly stellar.

At first there are tons of reviews on the market and very often I'm not sure whether the writer are in a position to write a review. Many nonsens is available and the problem is that due to mass repetitions the statements will be not better.

This cam is not bad but there are better ones on the market - no question. I never would buy this cam for around 1200 as well i never would buy a SD1 for 6500 . But with the actual price situation (around 350 for the SD15 or 1800 for the SD1M) someone can think about to buy such cams - of course still no Live View, no different programs etc. Very pure photographing like at analog times.

In certain situations a Foveon sensor may have some advantages and vice versa. Whether you can see this at the end on the picture - I'm not sure. If I compare the price level above for a new cam with for example a used Canon 450D the deal isn't bad.

I bought this cam only to modify the bayonet with a replacement kit for Contax lenses. Viewing the samples I have seen with my bayonet kit before shipment I must say that I can't wait to have this kit at the cam.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
But for manual docus lenses it was like shooting through a dark tunnel. Maybe 50% of my shots were in focus.

I'm not questioning your feelings and the fact that there is zillion better cameras in that aspect. I've just said that I'm happy with viewfinder of SD14. I can see the moment when object is sharp - I had no problem even using Cyclop...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's enough clearance to put a Minolta MD mount on that cam. I'd love to try that sensor with Minolta lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I wonder if it's enough clearance to put a Minolta MD mount on that cam. I'd love to try that sensor with Minolta lenses.

The registerdistance is equal to Canon ES (44mm) I believe so it might be possible like this modification: http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/rokkor_md_eos_flange_replacement
May be Koji can give some ideas?
May be the SD-mount is less wide then Canon?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful results . I am curious how do you compare the foveon results vs NEX sensor results

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Beautiful results . I am curious how do you compare the foveon results vs NEX sensor results

Well Theo, you know colour, saturation, contrast etc is today more a question of PP and to have the slider more left or right.
Different of course is the cropping capability between these 2 cams and here wins the NEX 7 for example very clearly.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

Well Theo, you know colour, saturation, contrast etc is today more a question of PP and to have the slider more left or right.
Different of course is the cropping capability between these 2 cams and here wins the NEX 7 for example very clearly.

Wink

Thank you , Rolf !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How complex is the C/Y conversion process Rolf?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
How complex is the C/Y conversion process Rolf?

Well Graham, ask me pls next week again Laughing Laughing

Waiting for the new bayonet. In the meantime it is at the custom dept here in Germany so I will get it next week.
On the site www.sigmacumlaude.com is a tutorial for this but these are older versions. The kit i will get is the newest one and can be used for SD1(M) as well for the SD15. So it maybe different but I hope that I can manage this with my 2 left hands.

Here are test shots with a SD15 and Planar-S 60mm before the new bayonet left the company.
http://www.sigmacumlaude.com/ROLF%20GALLERY/index.html

Wink