Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Formal - informal..Helios 2/58
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Formal - informal..Helios 2/58 Reply with quote

These are the photos I was talking about in another post.I will tell you what I like about them and you can tell me any thing else... Very Happy
The Filtered light background is exactly what I wanted,and why I chose the Helios.
The white dress caused me problems ,so I had to adjust brightness and a few other things so you could see the details.They were mucking around a fair bit so there was a lot of movement action happening.As you can see they are not meant to be proper formal photos ...I wanted to capture the fun.

#3 This I like for the reason I got her in focus...does it bother you about him not being in focus?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did well in your attempt to capture the sense of fun, the Helios bokeh works for me too.
The only thing that bothers me is the skin tones, on my calibrated monitor the lady looks yellow I'm afraid. Sad

Apart from that I really like the shots. Very Happy

(edit: regarding #3, the guy being OOF is a non-issue, the photo is great)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say about the skin color..I know my monitor is not the best and it looks ok to me (I will see what others say with what they see in regards to the skin color).... it may have been upset when I adjusted for the white dress issues,note in the first one it is really white and the others you see the detail.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, interesting shot that only shows the hands of the groom. The filter light is great. However, I think the background with all the branches are a bit too complex therefore reduces the effect of the posture of the groom. But I am sure those are ad hoc photos and we take the best what we can where we stand.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Does annoy me with his hands, I wish I had timed it right but I was pleased with her being in focus and the light.So as a family snap it works for me.

I have to ask,I know the Helios helps with portraits of people because it softens out the features...is the softness in these photos acceptable softness or could it be improved upon? I see them as slightly out of focus or there is too much movement?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example I took the first image (hope you don't mind) and adjusted the white balance slightly in Lightroom. I then uploaded it using this forum's 'upload picture' function, it appears my white balance correction was undone Shocked Confused

Then I try uploading to Photobucket before placing the direct link here...and this time the white balance correction stays put. Smile

(I have no idea how I have a watermark on this image Shocked )

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
#1, interesting shot that only shows the hands of the groom. The filter light is great. However, I think the background with all the branches are a bit too complex therefore reduces the effect of the posture of the groom. But I am sure those are ad hoc photos and we take the best what we can where we stand.

I agree that the background is a little too 'busy'.
I really like the fact that the groom is partially hidden. It's not a shot for the formal album but it would fit into a 'fun' album.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

...is the softness in these photos acceptable softness or could it be improved upon? I see them as slightly out of focus or there is too much movement?

Depending on where you were focusing, I don't think any of the three photos were focused spot on. The couples were moving one way or another so this could be part of the reason. Not sure what aperture you were using (assuming f4) but maybe a smaller aperture (f5.6) might also help a bit. I like the softness of #3 though.

Last edited by my_photography on Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a watermark? Thanks Scot I can now see the skin difference with your lightroom adjustment.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I don't see a watermark? Thanks Scot I can now see the skin difference with your lightroom adjustment.

That's strange, I can see one Surprised
Anyway......no problem at all, happy to help Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
mo wrote:

...is the softness in these photos acceptable softness or could it be improved upon? I see them as slightly out of focus or there is too much movement?

Depending on where you were focusing, I don't think any of the three photos were focused spot on. The couples were moving one way or another so this could be part of the reason. Not sure what aperture you were using (assuming f4) but maybe a smaller aperture (f5.6) might also help a bit. I like the softness of #3 though.

Your guess would be about right for the aperture...I can not remember.I would have been trying to focus on the eyes or at least the face.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb look from the helios, they are nice like that
auto WB from Scot is too cold and the lipstick turn violet

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb look from the helios, they are nice like that
auto WB from Scot is too cold and the lipstick turn violet

Violet? Sampled in Lightroom it's definitely red. I'd say the groom's shirt/waistcoat is a lot closer to violet than the lipstick. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to set proper white balance and next time use F8 to get both of them in sharp area.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the informal feel to the photos and I think the ideal colour setting is about halfway between the original yellow complexion and the one by SonicScot as the bride probably would prefer to show some colour. No. 2 is my favourite - OK the groom isn't totally in focus, but it is the bride's day, isn't it? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I have to clear something up, they were going to a formal dance...so not a Bride and Groom...sorry. I agree about the higher f stop,out of everything in the image that would be the thing that bugged me the most ....not a total disaster but something I have made a note of remembering to do next time. Very Happy

Thanks for your comments....they confirm what I sort of already knew...possibly the only issue is getting the white balance right.That I did not consider...I have the camera set to daylight....or are you talking about post processing?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with setting the white balance to daylight is that your subjects look to be in shade. So, setting the white balance to shade might have been a better option. Also I would recommend shooting in RAW, if you don't already, because it's much easier to adjust things in post processing.
I still think the lady's face is a little yellow in Attila's version, it doesn't help that there is a lot of yellow light around the people in the frame.
(for the record, I use Spyder3 elite calibration tool soon to be updated to Spyder4, http://spyder.datacolor.com) Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I have been told repeatedly to shoot in Raw...so far I have not remembered to do it...I find it harder to PP in "Raw" and to understand how the software works. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these, Moira, happy couple pix! I even like the colors, just say they have a 'sunny disposition', make it tropical sunny disposition. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Thanks,I have been told repeatedly to shoot in Raw...so far I have not remembered to do it...I find it harder to PP in "Raw" and to understand how the software works. Embarassed

I guess it can depend on which software you use. I've been using Lightroom for a few years and I find the develop module very easy to use and understand. I have looked at other editing programs and felt utterly lost.
Plus I've been shooting RAW for the last 20,000 clicks so I'm well used to it now. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very lovely playful set ! I'm not so sure about the WB issue. Here in the midwestern USA we have skin tones closer to your original post than the cooler tones of the edited versions. Even though I am a Scot by heritage we have hard sunlight here in Missouri. I would think much the same as Australia ?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thought erkie.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just love this one, and it doesn't look posed, you just caught it at the right moment:

I'm sure the couple liked these photos! Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did like photos,I was a little slow to like them,the photos that is!... Rolling Eyes Laughing