Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Vario-Pancolar 35-70mm MC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Vario-Pancolar 35-70mm MC Reply with quote

She finally sits on my desk Smile I wait for her 5 yrs Laughing Laughing only zoom what made by Jena.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Vario-Pancolar 35-70mm MC Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
She finally sits on my desk Smile I wait for her 5 yrs Laughing Laughing only zoom what made by Jena.

please share some samples and the photo of the lens Wink

please follow the link...another manufacturer made it for Jena???
http://www.gloryman.com.tw/prod_pic_show.php?id=5178&pic=0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it is Japanese.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I think wrong, made in German Democratic Republic this is on mount, Koji did told me this is only German, I don't know better Praktica PB expert than him, this lens available with PB mount and with M42. Japanese lenses not this engraved title 'Made in German Democratic Republic' same engraving like on fixed PB lenses what are surely made in DDR.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio probably think of the one linked by Izvar. Cosina 28-135mm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Orio probably think of the one linked by Izvar. Cosina 28-135mm.

yes, probably , thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Orio wrote:

I think wrong, made in German Democratic Republic this is on mount

Even better if it's made in Germany Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! None of the Japanese made lenses labelled to Pancolar, this another thing what is easy to recognize.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's German, 100% for sure, not one of the Cosina or Sigma made ones.

Congrats Attila, look forward to samples!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to shots from it, I have a CZJ 70-210 MC that's made in Japan, it does have nice color, which is the only reason I still have it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, ATtila these Jena zooms 35-70 & 80-200 are from CZJ zooms, but
Most likely made in Japan. One reason is even CZJ production people
Did not see or know them made in their factory. The other reason is
Carl Zeiss zoom 80-200 is very close to this vario sonnar 80-200 which
Was suspeted made by tomioka, and vario sonnar 35-70 was made by
Most likely Chiron who made a similar lzomm lens at mid 80s.

So my thought is they were made in Japan.

Sorry bad writing from Istabul on iPad....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Carl Zeiss (Jena) usually printed "T" or "T*" on their lenses and no "MC", right? Or are there any known exceptions?

@Attila: Could you please post a pic of this lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jena never made T* lenses, that was a Oberkochen thing. They most certainly did put MC on them, there is MC Pancolar, MC Sonnar etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Hmm... Carl Zeiss (Jena) usually printed "T" or "T*" on their lenses and no "MC", right? Or are there any known exceptions?

At some point in the 70s, Carl Zeiss Jena started to use the MC writing.
MC is what is commonly found on the last breed of Jena lenses, the one with black barrel and orange writings.
For instance Flektogon 2.8/20, Flektogon 2.8/35, all have MC writing, so does Pancolar 80mm, etc.

What is completely unusual for Jena lenses, instead, is the way of writing the focal lenght and speed.
Since sometime in the 60s, all Jena lenses (and Oberkochen as well) uses the traditional short style "speed/focal lenght" format
e.g. 2.8/35
The longer, separated style was dropped since the Contarex line by western Zeiss and probably eastern Zeiss did drop it even earlier.
It has instead remained in Japanese products such as Nikkor in the typical shape "1:speed f=focal lenght"
This is what made me doubt that the lens was Japanese.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Jena never made T* lenses

Actually, no T* (T-star was patented by Oberkochen), but CZJ kept using the classic (pre-war origined) red T in their lenses for quite a long time even after the war.
Since the 70s, however, they switched to MC in all their releases.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

@Attila: Could you please post a pic of this lens?

True for old ones before 1960 , latest ones are from 1980 yrs are usually black and MC. What I seen before all lens what has engraved Made in German Democratic Republic on this one that is Made in DDR, Japanese made lenses printed Made in Japan or no sign of origin.
Pictures will come soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Jena never made T* lenses

Actually, no T* (T-star was patented by Oberkochen), but CZJ kept using the classic (pre-war origined) red T in their lenses for quite a long time even after the war.
Since the 70s, however, they switched to MC in all their releases.

Sure, Jena made lenses with the red T but not with the T*.

I found a page about this lens in Japanese:

http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/sbko-hq/ZEISS/VP35-70mm.html

Seems it was labelled both Vario-Pancolar and Vario-Prakticar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very rare indeed Attila, massive congrats! I wonder in the PB version was "Vario-Prakticar" and the M42 version "Vario-Pancolar"? Just thinking aloud, as I don't believe any PB lenses were branded "Pancolar".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
This sounds very rare indeed Attila, massive congrats! I wonder in the PB version was "Vario-Prakticar" and the M42 version "Vario-Pancolar"? Just thinking aloud, as I don't believe any PB lenses were branded "Pancolar".

That sound plausible and in line with the other lenses shared by the two different lines such as Pancolar as you quoted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm at it, some M42 lenses were branded Prakticar, but only those made by Sigma as far as I know. The obvious examples are the 135/2.8 and the 24/2.8 and I don't believe they were branded Carl Zeiss Jena at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

They are different lenses, vario-pancolar is exists in both mount PB and M42.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
While I'm at it, some M42 lenses were branded Prakticar, but only those made by Sigma as far as I know...

Quite few (after DDR) Prakticars were made by Samyang.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
While I'm at it, some M42 lenses were branded Prakticar, but only those made by Sigma as far as I know...

Yep, but have you seen any in M42 mount?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Yep, but have you seen any in M42 mount?

Sure. I had Korean 28-200mm Prakticar in M42 and notorious Samyang zoom 18-28mm also exists in M42 for sure.

There are few more obscure zooms that i didn't see personally but can be googled. Here Prakticar 28-70mm (i doubt this one is Samyang):

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/38732-sale-sold-spiratone-20mm-f-2-8-pentax-da-50-200-prakticar-28-70-f-3-5-4-8-m42-close.html

or 35-70mm (Korean):

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first one is a Cosina.

As I said before, the Sigma and Cosina made ones are very common, especially in the UK. I had a few in the past, all really crap, even the Sigma primes labelled Prakticar - 2.8/28 and 2.8/135 were crap, the 135 was the worst 135mm lens I've seen and proved the 'no bad 135s' theory isn't true.