MFlenses - A new life in a digital age
MFLenses 2026

Manual Focus Lenses Forum

Explore the world of vintage lenses through repair notes, real test shots, and detailed archive threads packed with images.

Explore the world of vintage lenses through repair notes, real test shots, and detailed archive threads packed with images.
DiskFreeVault safely moves Mac apps and data to external storage.
Spotlight

Featured partner placement for the forum front page.

Canon FD 35mm f2 s.s.c
View previous topic :: View next topic  


Reply

Shooting with Sony Nex. This lens flares badly in dark image and high light spots, typical night scenes, may be the worst flare. These photos are selected from my test to show the best shots.

#1: at f2, insignificant increased black level.


#2: at f8, no pp


#3: at f8, no pp


#4: at f2, no pp


#5: at f2, MFD, no pp


Reply

Quote:
This lens flares badly in dark image and high light spots, typical night scenes, may be the worst flare.

I never have such thing. Can you show picture of that situation?


Reply

Nice pics and great lens! The first is my fav.
IAZA wrote:
Quote:
This lens flares badly in dark image and high light spots, typical night scenes, may be the worst flare.

I never have such thing. Can you show picture of that situation?

My CZ Planar T* 35/2 has exactly the same problem. Maybe it's a common problem with fast 35mm lenses.

EDIT: The Canon FD 35/2 SSC has a very large and semi plane rear element and I think that causes reflections between sensor and lens.

There are two diffrent FD 35/2 SSC version bye the way (one 8 groups/8 elements, other newer one has 8/9). The diagram is from the 8/8.


Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total


Reply

Flares, no PP:


Reply

The flaring looks very similar to my 35/2 Planar:

The left example of fluorescent tubes on the morgue is a very extreme example though.
I wonder if other fast 35 lenses will do the same on NEX sensor/it's general problem with fast 35mm lenses.
Anyway both are really great as long as no very strong light sources are in the pic!



Bye the way I wonder how good (natural) the bokeh of your Canon SSC 35/2 is (at least for such an very fast wide angle).

Here's the Planar bokeh wide open for comparision, also under bad light conditions and comparable distance:

But it's always a matter of taste though

(sorry if I'm spamming a little bit to much)


Reply

Those Canon FD lenses are phenomenal performers! Smile


Reply

Thank you for the flare images! Shocked
I was looking to buy a Canon 35mm f/2 SSC but perhaps I'd think that over another time...


Reply

I have several 35/2 and the nikkor 35/1.4 and will do the same kind of test on Nex, perhaps on dslr as well.

As far I have tested the same image with canon fd 24/1.4 L. The flare of the 24 is less than with the 35, also flare edges from the 24 are blurred, not as sharp as the 35 and therefore easier to forgive.

Another lens that flares when using with Nex is my pentax K 28/2, known as 'poorman's distagon'. I have seen flares at least once and can reproduce the case. I can't recall the same flare type with 50mm or 85mm.

For me, it may seem that white fl tube causes more flare than tungsten source, or may be the reflection is white and easier to spot, or may be the coating that blocks continuously spectrum better than single waves? Ideally the sensor should be non reflective black, so here is lots of room for improvement.

However, when you know the limitation and avoid flare cases, the canon fd 35/2 ssc is very good - still a bit annoying and limited use. I can think of background lit strobist/studio will have big challenges. It would be nice to see how L version stand out with ssc version.

More sample, my fav modell, 'kid in action', wide open:


Still wide open:


Step down:



Reply

ForenSeil wrote:

I wonder if other fast 35 lenses will do the same on NEX sensor/it's general problem with fast 35mm lenses.


I will try it with the Hexanon 2/35 on NEX-5N.. didn't saw such flare with it, but wasn't really testing it in such situations.


Reply

In my opinion, most of that "flare" are just reflections between lens and sensor Wink


Reply

Ultrapix wrote:
In my opinion, most of that "flare" are just reflections between lens and sensor Wink

Could be, shooting some film side by side would end any speculation.

One of the worst lenses for flare that I've come across is a Helios 44 12-blade with blue/purple coating, I'll post a thread next week about that.


Reply



the green flare on sample remind me of filters that made same flare. after dettach the filter, flare was gone.
I haven't met this situation on My FD 35/2 ssc. I'll find out.


Reply

Tedat wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

I wonder if other fast 35 lenses will do the same on NEX sensor/it's general problem with fast 35mm lenses.


I will try it with the Hexanon 2/35 on NEX-5N.. didn't saw such flare with it, but wasn't really testing it in such situations.



did test it yesterday night.. no flare with the Hexanon 2/35 on the NEX-5n


Reply

I've got myself a SSC copy. IMHO it's the best fast 35mm i've tried until now. Never tried a lens that acts this confident (wide-open) both on close distances as well on infinity. Type II according to this: http://www.lummukka.com/canonfd35.html


Reply

Congrats!

It is among the best 35mm lenses.

http://forum.mflenses.com/street-by-canon-fd-35mm-f2-t53121,highlight,%2Bcanon+%2Bfd+%2B35mm.html


Reply

hoanpham wrote:
Congrats!

It is among the best 35mm lenses.

http://forum.mflenses.com/street-by-canon-fd-35mm-f2-t53121,highlight,%2Bcanon+%2Bfd+%2B35mm.html


Thanks! I remember the link very well. It also motivated me to fine me one.


Reply

My Minolta MD 28/2 has this same flare problem... a hood doesn't fix the problem, it's an internal thing I think...