Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Very first deep sky try
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Very first deep sky try Reply with quote

NEX5N, Samyang 8mm, Minolta Rokkor 100/4, Minolta MD 50/2 and Biogon 28/2.8 were used, all wide open except the Samyang.
Very first deep sky try with an very easy setup (mounted NEX with a screw on an telescope, aiming/tracking trough the telescope with largest mangification on an star all the time during exposure to compensate the rotation of the earth; except with the Samyang 8mm, with 8mm there was no tracking necessary).

Unfortunatly the light polution was a bit limiting and I don't have a car.

A part of the milkyway; I don't know if I made with the Biogon or the Minolta 50

Andromeda with Minolta Macro Rokkor 100/4, cropped.

Here you can guess the light polution

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are superb for a first attempt, especially #2 where you have captured the Andromeda galaxy, the nearest one to our own. I am impressed! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, pretty impressive first try. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with comments above, great results for a first try!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, very impressive. i think 2 is super.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These images are really good even they were not your first try. Can you tell us something about exposure time and ISO ?

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
I tried many different exposure times etc.
#1 is ISO200, 48s @ F2 or F2.8
#2 is ISO400, 30s @ F4
#3 is ISO3200, 30s @ F5.6 or F8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic work. What kind of equipment did you use to compensate for the earth's rotation?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Very first deep sky try Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
NEX5N, Samyang 8mm, Minolta Rokkor 100/4, Minolta MD 50/2 and Biogon 28/2.8 were used, all wide open except the Samyang.
Very first deep sky try with an very easy setup (mounted NEX with a screw on an telescope, aiming/tracking trough the telescope with largest mangification on an star all the time during exposure to compensate the rotation of the earth; except with the Samyang 8mm, with 8mm there was no tracking necessary).

Unfortunatly the light polution was a bit limiting and I don't have a car.

A part of the milkyway; I don't know if I made with the Biogon or the Minolta 50

Andromeda with Minolta Macro Rokkor 100/4, cropped.

Here you can guess the light polution

Awesome stuff!

Which telescope did you use? Was it a celestron by any chance? Also, what program on the telescope did you use for the tracking?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Very first deep sky try Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

Awesome stuff!

Which telescope did you use? Was it a celestron by any chance? Also, what program on the telescope did you use for the tracking?

Thanks Smile
I didn't use any electronics or software etc.
I only used a very steady tripod (I borrowed a ~10kg tripod with equatorial mount together with a small maksutov telescope from a friend).

I mounted the camera/lens on the top of the telescope (there were usually the "sucherfernrohr" is placed [i don't find the correct english word for it, it's the small telescope on the top which is made to find stars at small mangification]), then I aimed/centered with the highest available magnifcation on an bright star close to my target and aimed the star in center through the telescope all the time during exposure to compensate the rotation of the earth. It tooked about 10tries to get the first sharp picture, you need pretty steady hands Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great 1st effort -- these are a whole lot better than my first try at imaging DSOs with a DSLR on a fixed tripod.

(You can see it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s58y/4144283578/in/set-72157622774633687

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!, I've been looking forward to doing some astro photography for a long time now, as soon as the sky clears up and the sun starts setting at a reasonable hour..