Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting back into film after years...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Getting back into film after years... Reply with quote

I have shot digital exclusively for the last 7-8 years and had not even given a thought to film again until I started coming across all these great old pics shot in film that just had so much character. I wanted to shoot film again, so I acquired an old Minolta 500si (and a 700si just today! Very Happy ) and some Fuji superia and off I went and shot a test roll. 2 days later I shot a test roll of Kodak ultra-max just to compare, I should have really shot similar examples, however I am still very satisfied with the results of my first shooting film in years! Very Happy
The complete comparison between the two sets is here on my blog:
http://protas.metalforfishes.com/?p=309

here is just a few for me to share with you all,
first the Fuji:

secondly the Kodak:

I hope you enjoy! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shoots indeed! Nice to see your happiness with film I like especially second image, seems you have a beautiful living environment!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.
Yes, I must admit there is beauty to be found here in Western Australia,
you often have to go searching for it, but it is definitely there. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the wonderful world of analogue imaging Cool From your pics, I'd say you and film make a good combination Very Happy

Boiled cows and precious metals - can't beat it Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
Thank you very much.
Yes, I must admit there is beauty to be found here in Western Australia,
you often have to go searching for it, but it is definitely there. Very Happy

So far so exotic country to me, once I got a job offer to work in Sydney as computer programmer , I did choice Florida due fly time was shorter from Hungary , perhaps I made wrong decision Laughing I wish to see more and more pictures from your beautiful country especially from animals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ive been doing the same for the last couple years, getting backinto film. youre off to good start. i really like the swirly sky photo, very nicely done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to film........saying "I'm using a digital camera" sounds boring these days Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, the parrots seems to ignore you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your kind words.
This has been a great joy to shoot film again, from the satisfying clunk of the shutter, to that thought in the back of your head after the shot "man, I hope that one is ok?" Then the anticipation of waiting 2 days for developing to see if your shots are any good...
It makes for a very special feeling, one that is justly matched by the character of the medium.
I will try and grab some more shots for you guys of some of the unique things I see over here,
I am trying to think of an art series I would like to shoot all in film, but while I am deciding I am just playing with shooting it again. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to film. Looks like you are picking it right back up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see people coming back to film . Enjoy yourself Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the kind words guys!
I've been doing a re-cap of the film photos I have shared on-line... I think this one has to be one of my favs I have captured so far. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NUmber 3 is spectacular! And it could turn out like that only in film!

May I say this? I really dislike your huge computer writings on the photos. They really get in the way of the photos, and look quite dated in style also.
A bit constructive criticism Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fine mate. I welcome constructive criticism, especially from people I know who are experienced and good at what they do, like yourself. I started doing it that way due to the fact that I got started taking photos and sharing them mainly for local bands at first. Over here in Perth, there is quite a competition between us local band photographers. We usually will go and shoot a show for them, then I will go home do all my editing and watermark them, then share them on my Photography Facebook page. The bands can then use those photos for web promo purposes but all the while my watermark is there advertising my photography, if they want their pics without the watermark and larger than web-size, well then they would have to sort that out with me personally. Wink (I have been under a lot of pressure from certain local photographers lately to start charging, as they are getting angry at me because they believe I am making it hard for them to get paid work, if I offer my services for free so often Laughing )
When I started doing this watermarking, it was just what other local photographers did, so I started doing it too... I guess old habits are hard to break. I am however in the process of changing it a little, so lets see if you prefer my newer watermark when I get around to putting new pics up.
Thank you for your input Orio, I am always willing to take it on board. After all, how else do we get better. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, any advice on how to make it look less dated would be greatly appreciated too mate. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set and my favourite is the water feature - I can almost hear the trickle of the water.

Welcome back to film. I too have regained my passion for photography through reverting to film. I have a Minolta Dynax 500i body which was a gift but the autofocus lenses are out of my price range.

I am new here too and forgive me if I am getting ahead of myself by mentioning that there is a separate section for autofocus shots called "Autofocus Corner".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were shot manual. Wink