Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50's Simor 1:3.5 135mm M37 for Asahiflex, who is the maker?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: 50's Simor 1:3.5 135mm M37 for Asahiflex, who is the maker? Reply with quote

I just bought this lens (because it's an Asahiflex lens and it also comes with the desirable original Asahi M37 to M42 adapter, which I recognized because of the vertical slit in te adapter). I like the two-tone design of the lens (almost like a small 125mm f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar), but any ideas as to who could be the maker? My Google searches end in a black hole; Simor seems to be very obscure. Not that many Asahiflexes were sold, so finding 3rd party lenses for them is uncommon indeed.

I think it's fair to assume that this lens was made in the late 50's (it would make no sense selling lenses for the Asahiflex in the early 60's). maybe the "A" serial number points to a certain maker?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum: I noticed this eBay auction with a 35mm Simor lens with a Fujita "FT" serial number:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more photos from the seller: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gridview/6520166999/in/photostream/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting ! Nice find !

It could very well be a Fujita as its known that some lenses were made by them in Asahiflex mount.
The style is similar to several makers of the time.

Short list of suspects -

Fujita
Kyoei
Taisei (Tamron) - there are apparently several lenses made by this firm prior to the adoption of the
Tamron trademark, that are completely undocumented.
Sun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of a Soligor labeled lens looks identical to the above Simor. There are a couple listed in Ebay at the moment with the Soligor label. I am not going to speculate who the maker is, but its built different than other Soligors I have in the 135mm range.

Besides the name difference on the name-ring I noticed a difference in the "mm" after the focal length. The copy I own has dots after each "m".

Mine came with an Exakta mount.

It works very well too Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other possibility is Komura.I'm guessing this one also has 15 blades.
So it's a 14 blade. Confused

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nikon-club-nederland.nl%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D11%26t%3D36823&act=url

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 50's Simor 1:3.5 135mm M37 for Asahiflex, who is the mak Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I just bought this lens (because it's an Asahiflex lens and it also comes with the desirable original Asahi M37 to M42 adapter, which I recognized because of the vertical slit in te adapter). I like the two-tone design of the lens (almost like a small 125mm f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar), but any ideas as to who could be the maker? My Google searches end in a black hole; Simor seems to be very obscure. Not that many Asahiflexes were sold, so finding 3rd party lenses for them is uncommon indeed.

I think it's fair to assume that this lens was made in the late 50's (it would make no sense selling lenses for the Asahiflex in the early 60's). maybe the "A" serial number points to a certain maker?

I forgot to congratulate you- and look forward to seeing some of your images made with this lens Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the original case? If so, Sankor supplied the same cases with their lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's the original case; it's completely unmarket. And of course, many lens makers back then had the same suppliers. Especially for generic items such as lens cases.

Any new clues? I will post a few simple photos in the oversized gallery.