Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sagittal and Tangential lines in MTF tests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Sagittal and Tangential lines in MTF tests Reply with quote

I have studied how to read the MTF tests and I have to say that, much to my surprise, I managed to understand almost everything, and now I am able to actually understand in full those things!

One residual doubt I have is this: what are exactly the sagittal and tangential lines? I understand that they are light rays that come from different directions, and that the more the respective curves diverge, the higher is the lens astigmatism.

But if I had to explain to someone else what are exactly the vectors of those sagittal and tangential lines, I mean their direction, I would not be able to.

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-mtf.shtml

«

To quote from Canon's explanation of what meridonial and sagital mean....

Fine repeating line sets are created parallel to a diagonal line running from corner to corner of the 35mm frame, directly through the exact center of the image area. These are called sagital lines, sometimes designated “S” on Canon’s MTF charts. At a 90° angle to these, additional sets of repeating lines are drawn, called Meridonial (or “M”) line sets.

»

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they aint square they is bent and that is distortion?

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
If they aint square they is bent and that is distortion?

If one set is separate lines and one set is grey blur, then that is astigmatism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are basically two sets of opposed diagonals?
Then I got it wrong in my previous understanding, I thought they could be light rays either perpendicular or lateral to the front glass Question
OK so they're not light rays - however the utility of having two sets of diagonals, one basically the specular of the other, escapes my understanding.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, this is a very good question and one that I also need to ask. Wink
At the moment I would understand it the way you describe in your second post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
So they are basically two sets of opposed diagonals?

Not quite, as the frame is rectangular not square so the diagonals are not at 90 degrees. The two sets of lines are parallel to the diagonal and at 90 degrees to the diagonal. If you like, the second set are tangents to circles centred on the centre of the frame.