Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My set at the moment...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: My set at the moment... Reply with quote

This is what I usually take on tour (these days):

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus sherpa? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waow, do you really carry around all this stuff?

What is this big AF wide zoom (2nd row, leftmost lens)? Is that your 12-24?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten going with car and never go longer distance than 50m , so tons of lenses no problem isn't it mate ? Confused

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Attila, you got me! Wink

Actually, all this stuff weighs not more than about 6 to 7 kilos and it all fits into my Lowepro Mini Trekker Classic which is quite comfortable to carry around on your back.
If I leave 3 lenses and the EF-M at home, I can put all this gear into my Kata K-22 bag, but this is a pain to carry then, it's just too heavy for one shoulder after a while.

If I am really on a hike, I will not bring that much stuff of course, just the 350D, about 7 lenses and one point'n'shoot.

And sometimes, on an MF-day, I mount the Leica Elmarit 2.8/35 at my EOS and put the Nikkor 2.8/24, the Nikkor 1.2/55, the Nikkor 1.8/85 and the Oly 35RC into a waist bag and walk through the streets.

On rare occasions, I am very brave and just mount a lens to my EOS (mostly a 35mm or a 50ish) and go, without any other stuff - but this feels weird.

@Abbazz: Yes, that'S the Tokina 4/12-24, an excellent lens and the reason why I do not necessarily need a very good MF superwide. Wink

BTW, here is the Flickr link with notes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucispictor-photo/2167963615/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

If I am really on a hike, I will not bring that much stuff of course, just the 350D, about 7 lenses and one point'n'shoot.

7 lenses as a light set for real hiking? Shocked
I did not take 7 lenses with me even when I went to Budapest - I had 6, and it still felt like a lot! Laughing
When I go to events like the carnival, and I want to be fully covered in focal lenghts, I bring 5: a 20mm, 35 or 50, 85, 135 and 200.
I think that to bring more, means just bringing duplicates, and only distracts from taking photographs - not to mention the fact that the weight makes you tired sooner, and you have to be more careful about not loosing lenses etc..

15 lenses and 4 cameras as regular set for tours is - will you forgive me Carsten? - just insane, in my personal opinion! Laughing
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
7 lenses as a light set for real hiking? Shocked

It sounds more than it really is:

- Tokina 4/12-24
- Sigma 17-70 (at the cam)
- Nikkor 2.8/24
- Nikkor 2/35
- Leica Elmarit 2.8/35
- Nikkor 1.2/55
- Nikkor 1.8/85

That's it. Yes, I do take two 35mm lenses, because I love them both and they have different "personalities".
These are qualitywise my best lenses. I do not bring a 28mm and a 135mm lens, since I do not have lenses of that focal range that are as good (not even the Nikkor 3.5/135, the Jupiter-37 or the CZJ Sonnar 4/135 which are very nice lenses. Sometimes I still pack on of those or a Telear-N 3.5/200 in case I need a longer tele.)

Orio wrote:
15 lenses and 4 cameras as regular set for tours is - will you forgive me Carsten? - just insane, in my personal opinion! Laughing
-

It definitely is! But being a little insane also makes me a nice person, doesn't it? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten - did you pump iron in your youth? That looks like an Arnold Schwarzenegger outfit. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe - I would like to se e how you pack it. I am sure I can learn something Smile

Never go down on gear.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
That looks like an Arnold Schwarzenegger outfit. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing Laughing

patrickh wrote:
Carsten - did you pump iron in your youth?

Actually, I did. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Hehe - I would like to se e how you pack it. I am sure I can learn something Smile

The thing is that MF primes are much smaller than AF zoom lenses (apart from some MF primes Wink). Just compare the Sigma or the Tokina with the MF lenses in this pic.

lahnet wrote:
Never go down on gear.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! Thats pretty impressive. I have got the biggest Billingham bag for traveling with my kit and this collection would not fit in that - even with a couple of add-on side pockets. In fact I usually take two bags - this one and a smaller day bag. The big one stays at the hotel / apartment or wherever I am sleeping and the smaller one carries whatever I want on the day.