Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help please - My Contax 90mm f2.8 G lens problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Help please - My Contax 90mm f2.8 G lens problem Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Got my lens today. It is in stunning condition, except for one seriously concerning thing. You can see that at wide open aperture, the aperture control ring is not pointing at f2.8. In fact when you stopped down to f22, the aperture ring goes far beyond f22. It is just not possible to twist the ring back to f2.8, it just does not line up. There is no evidence of someone doing a DIY repair on this lens.

Should I be worried as I am going to use it on digital bodies anyway? However I paid over €120 for it from a reputable UK store.
http://forum.mflenses.com/bought-my-first-contax-zeiss-g-lens-t44478.html

Any idea??

Thanks Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
don't worry about that: the aperture ring is a part of the lens mount on a G system. Once you put the lens to the body, the aperture ring will show the correct aperture.
I don't know what happens if you put it on a digital body with an adapter, sorry
Filip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H Filip,

I think you are onto something there. Take a look at this photo here.

Click here to see on Ebay

When the lens is off the camera body (I see two pins on the lens mount), perhaps the aperture ring is locked at the near f11 position and it will twist back into place when mated with the G1 or G2 film camera.

This is very very unusual to me...I have handled many lenses, but never seen one like this before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry your sonnar is perfectly fine.

You just need to mount it onto adapter and it will be OK.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal, your lens is perfect. Enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sting,

I just checked my copy: when off the body, aperture says "11" and is wide open. When turning the ring to, and further than 22, aperture stops down.

When I mount my copy to a contax G1/G2 body, aperture is OK: showing 2.8, being 2.8. When I stop down to 22, it really closes down to 22.

I conclude that the aperture ring (for the contax bodies), is a part of mounting the lens. When the lens is off the body, the aperture ring twists/shifts to another aperture number, without closing down the diafragm.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with using them on other (digital) bodies, so I don't know if the available adapters use the same system as the contax bodies (showing the correct aperture number)

Kind regards,
Filip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. I still naive when it comes to Contax G lenses! Embarassed